Author Topic: Making my first bike a RE.  (Read 7682 times)

harrumph

• Scooter
  • Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
on: December 24, 2010, 06:31:09 pm
I've been trying to get myself on a bike for a while now, and I came across the new RE's a few months ago and have been smitten ever since. I live in Southern California and we get almost no rain through the year, so I was hoping to turn it into a daily-driver once I get used to it.

Is the new UCE/EFI bike design good for new people who don't know a hell of a lot about mechanics? I'm sure I could learn with a bit of guidance, I'm a fairly smart guy, but I've never been mechanically inclined. I'd like to think that the learning curve on one of these new model RE's wouldn't be too rough to weed out a beginner like myself?
By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 08:30:10 pm
 Welp, I'm a bit bias, but  I can't think of a better one? C-5 0r G-5. It's a hit the starter and go Bike, And look real cool doing it. The best of both worlds, cool classic styling with modern reliable technology. Maintenance? easy. probably no more or less then any other modern bike. There sure ain't no valve shimming on these bikes  ;) Go for It ! And welcome!  Merry Christmas !
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:37:31 pm
I've been trying to get myself on a bike for a while now, and I came across the new RE's a few months ago and have been smitten ever since. I live in Southern California and we get almost no rain through the year, so I was hoping to turn it into a daily-driver once I get used to it.

Is the new UCE/EFI bike design good for new people who don't know a hell of a lot about mechanics? I'm sure I could learn with a bit of guidance, I'm a fairly smart guy, but I've never been mechanically inclined. I'd like to think that the learning curve on one of these new model RE's wouldn't be too rough to weed out a beginner like myself?
Welcome harrumph! 

You say it doesn't rain in Southern California?  Wasn't that a 70's song? 

The RE will be a fine daily rider unless you are on the speedways they call freeways down there (I've been there).  Find a more relaxing road and you are set forever!

Psst, the C5 is clearly better than the G5.  Especially in black.   ;)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

harrumph

• Scooter
  • Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 09:28:54 pm
I'm thinking about going for the C5 Military - maybe put a red leather seat and saddle bags on it eventually. Tasty looking bike, that would be. That's about all I want to add to it, methinks. I've seen some people talking about a "work in" period with these.. can someone link me to a thread on it? I haven't been able to find it, and I want to read up on it before I go get one.
By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 09:36:42 pm
Go for it, the C5 is a great bike. In 8000 miles I've done nothing but oil changes and chain adjustments.  The military is nice but Red is the fasetst color, every one says so.  ;)
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 04:04:34 am
Welcome aboard harrumph,

My advice is test ride both the C5 and the G5 and if you cant decide which is better for you then get both  ;D

Search the threads here for break in,,,BTW these UCE machines are way better than my old Iron barrel.

Upkeep is minimal and easy.

The motors internals are built anvil tough according to master wrenches who have taken them apart.

BTW;
 Everyone knows Chrome is the fastest color,,, less wind resistance  ;D

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 03:33:40 pm
Hi Harrumph!
These thumpers are probably the best bike for newbies on the market today. If you like to add some knowledge about vehicles to your competence then there is nothing better. In addition, so to speak, you´ll get a big grin stamped in your face whenever you mount your ride - it´s absolutely impossible not to have a great, great deal of fun.
As beauty is in the eye of the beholder it doesn´t matter which version you choose. Although I have to add that in my opinion the G5 is flawless so there is no need to think about another version I do respect that there may be  people who like the C5´s appeal better.
Go and get one!
Maturin

P.S.: Southern California? You don´t have much snow there, haven´t you? *deep sight*...
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 03:46:57 pm
I would think u lreally ike the G5 as it has a kick start with the electric start...The C5 is a beautiful machine but is only electric start...I think the c5 is more retro in look than the G5 and it will be interesting to see how the c5 electric start hold ups over the next few years...Not trying to start war just subtle observations..I know that the c5 owners really like their machines...Is the G5 19 inch tires and c5 18 inch tires???? Don't remember all the nuances between the two..cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 04:00:04 pm
I've never missed the kicker on my c5, with a worn out hip and knee I wouldn't use it if it were there any way.  :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 05:41:47 pm
I've never missed the kicker on my c5, with a worn out hip and knee I wouldn't use it if it were there any way.  :D

+1  If I wanted a kick starter, then I would demand:
(1) valve adjustments
(2) ignition timing with points
(3) a carb so I can fiddle with the jetting

Heh, just jesting a little.

The G5 does do a better job heating up hot dog buns!   ;D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 06:46:00 pm
If I'm going to kick start a motorcycle and tinker with it all the time, it'll be a flathead.  :D
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 06:47:14 pm
I've never missed the kicker on my c5, with a worn out hip and knee I wouldn't use it if it were there any way.  :D

@ Hello Harrumph:

Don't be swayed by the posts from C5 owners.  They are plain jealous that they did not get a kick start  ;) and now they wish they had one !  

Go with G5 - black one, the true and tested  - the REal thing.  Am I biased because my id has g5 in it ?

These kick levers are feather soft and smooth - hips / knees not required, only optional.  Watch this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfrDoZ5qEdU&NR=1
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 07:24:42 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 07:30:00 pm
 :D :D :D :D,,,,,, Come on singh..... :D :D,,,,, thats cheating! :D :D :D
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 08:07:10 pm
O, Yeah ! 

I just read it - kick starting the bike keeps the rider healthy  :D !
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 09:06:35 pm
My vote is for the C5.  You won't regret it 8)