Author Topic: Not much at dealer  (Read 10807 times)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
on: January 21, 2008, 11:04:58 pm
Hey guys, had my first post a few days ago about how i was thinking of getting a deluxe model. Well, got to the dealer on saturday to find only one deluxe in black. I actually love that combo, but i didn't like how the bike had 46 miles on it and had some boot burns on the pipe. Kinda dirty too.  Just seemed neglected and not "new" ya know. I know the miles and "condition" could probably get the price dropped its just that i would be nervous about those break in miles, especially knowing hoe sensitive these bikes can be for break in etc. Plus the owner wasn't there and just a regular worker(this place is an auto shop too, not just a dealer) so he really couldn't help with anything. Hopefully the owner will get more in from the new model year so i can have a  fresh pick. Maybe i'll stop in next week and the owner will be in for some info.  Ah well, thought id update you guys on my findings.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 12:27:02 am
  If you could get a good price on it I don't think I'd be too concerned unless the header pipe is dark blue or there is some other obvious defect.  You will still have a new warranty on it should something be wrong.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

deejay

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:39:29 am
Hey guys, had my first post a few days ago about how i was thinking of getting a deluxe model. Well, got to the dealer on saturday to find only one deluxe in black. I actually love that combo, but i didn't like how the bike had 46 miles on it and had some boot burns on the pipe. Kinda dirty too.  Just seemed neglected and not "new" ya know. I know the miles and "condition" could probably get the price dropped its just that i would be nervous about those break in miles, especially knowing hoe sensitive these bikes can be for break in etc. Plus the owner wasn't there and just a regular worker(this place is an auto shop too, not just a dealer) so he really couldn't help with anything. Hopefully the owner will get more in from the new model year so i can have a  fresh pick. Maybe i'll stop in next week and the owner will be in for some info.  Ah well, thought id update you guys on my findings.

I wouldn't worry too much, they come with about 15 miles on all of them from India. The rest of those miles could be from the dealer getting the set up dialed in, maybe a test ride. Dirt/dust cleans up fast, boot marks can appear on a first ride and clean up with rubbing alcohol. If its over a year old it's almost good to see some miles on it, better to ride them than to let them sit, parts go to sh*t faster when they are stuck in one place too long. Any of the shops can order a fresh one for you direct from CMW, the shop closest to me (2 hours) said it would take about 2 weeks back when I was shopping for mine. Good luck, and don't get discouraged (I did) but I'm glad I didn't give up. Keep us posted.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:45:41 am
Don't fret too much. If the dealer seems like a decent guy, the mileage should be ok. Mine came from the dealer with 60 miles on it. I felt like I was getting a "used" bike at the time, but he'd just been making sure everything was all set.

Go with your gut instinct, its usually right.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 03:51:49 am
mine had 19 miles .... and i became concerned...  so far all is well  the dealer is gone ...

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 03:53:14 am
My bike had 58 miles on it when new, I suspect that was from the dealer during his preparation of the bike.  I actually appreciated the extra miles, it allowed any loose nuts to show themselves before I took ownership.  If I remember correctly, I did the first oil & filter change at 350 miles and found a fair amount of swarf in the filter.  It scared me at the time, but now after 11,000 miles I have no problems and it runs great.  I know some owners will complain about flaws in the paint or a less than mirror finish on the engine case.  However, I consider these part of the character of a 1955 hand-made bike,  if I had wanted a cookie-cutter Japanese bike, I would have lots from which to choose.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 01:55:37 pm
  It seems that I read some where that CMW encourges it's dealers to put 100 miles on a bike for just this reason.  Maybe Vince or some other dealer could give us some insight on this.  BTW mine had 12 miles on it.

My bike had 58 miles on it when new, I suspect that was from the dealer during his preparation of the bike.  
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:33:03 pm
  If you could get a good price on it I don't think I'd be too concerned unless the header pipe is dark blue or there is some other obvious defect.  You will still have a new warranty on it should something be wrong.

Hey, i guess the price drop could b e a positive. I am an awesome detailer(had my own shop) so getting the appearance mint is no biggie. Its just seeing a "new" bike neglected is what kinda turns me off. Could be a good bargaining chip though to get a nice discount. I talked to a friend last night and we might go back there saturday. Hopefully the owner is around this time!  No bluing btw, just some gold right by the head. BTW, there was a sensor type bung looking thing attached to the pipe right by the head, almost like an 02 sensor. Any idea what that is?

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 02:34:53 pm

I wouldn't worry too much, they come with about 15 miles on all of them from India. The rest of those miles could be from the dealer getting the set up dialed in, maybe a test ride. Dirt/dust cleans up fast, boot marks can appear on a first ride and clean up with rubbing alcohol. If its over a year old it's almost good to see some miles on it, better to ride them than to let them sit, parts go to sh*t faster when they are stuck in one place too long. Any of the shops can order a fresh one for you direct from CMW, the shop closest to me (2 hours) said it would take about 2 weeks back when I was shopping for mine. Good luck, and don't get discouraged (I did) but I'm glad I didn't give up. Keep us posted.

Hey thanks for the response. I think i might use it as a bargaining chip thats all. I used to be a pro detailer so no worry about the boot mark  ;D   Gonna do a visit on saturday so lets see what happens.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 02:37:00 pm
Don't fret too much. If the dealer seems like a decent guy, the mileage should be ok. Mine came from the dealer with 60 miles on it. I felt like I was getting a "used" bike at the time, but he'd just been making sure everything was all set.

Go with your gut instinct, its usually right.

Hey, thats kinda how i felt too. Ive seen bikes as a demo and how they were treated on rides so thats what gets me nervous. From what everyone says here though it could be the dealer just getting it tweaked. That would make me feel a little better ya know.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 02:54:41 pm
My bike had 58 miles on it when new, I suspect that was from the dealer during his preparation of the bike.  I actually appreciated the extra miles, it allowed any loose nuts to show themselves before I took ownership.  If I remember correctly, I did the first oil & filter change at 350 miles and found a fair amount of swarf in the filter.  It scared me at the time, but now after 11,000 miles I have no problems and it runs great.  I know some owners will complain about flaws in the paint or a less than mirror finish on the engine case.  However, I consider these part of the character of a 1955 hand-made bike,  if I had wanted a cookie-cutter Japanese bike, I would have lots from which to choose.

Hey thanks, yep i would be cool with the miles it was for setup. I know the owner is really cool, just wish i had a chance to talk to him last time. But i think im going again saturday.  So within your 11K miles what kind of problems have ya had and what have you done maintenance wise? Thanks

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 02:55:29 pm
  It seems that I read some where that CMW encourges it's dealers to put 100 miles on a bike for just this reason.  Maybe Vince or some other dealer could give us some insight on this.  BTW mine had 12 miles on it.

My bike had 58 miles on it when new, I suspect that was from the dealer during his preparation of the bike. 

Interesting. Seems like 12 is good enough lol !

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 05:56:31 pm
CMW does encourage the dealer to put some miles on each unit. If I had the time I would break in every one. That is not practical both from in time or  money. And, unfortunately, The same riders that would not listen to me about break in also won't listen to me about usage ( Stay OFF the freeway!). So I simply try to educate my customers. In terms of 60 or 70 miles on a bike on the floor, It can be a crap shoot. I keep a designated demonstrator, but some times people insist on a specific bike to test. I accommodate them AFTER I hammer into them the break in speeds. So far it has worked out well. I haven"t had any problems I could directly trace to a test ride. If you think your dealer has a similar program,  the bike should be just fine. Also, it has been pointed out that you do have a warranty. CMW is great about that. They all come with 12 to 25 miles from the factory. Just make sure that you keep up with proper break in, riding, and maintenance. Good luck and have fun.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 07:41:02 pm

BTW, there was a sensor type bung looking thing attached to the pipe right by the head, almost like an 02 sensor. Any idea what that is?

That's part of the emissions system.  It pulses air into the exhaust stream past the exhaust valve.  A PAV system.  There is also a catalytic in the muffler.  I would put about 2000 miles on the bike before messing with any performance upgrades (such as monkeying with this).  The bike will settle in by then.

Cheers, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 08:30:30 pm
CMW does encourage the dealer to put some miles on each unit. If I had the time I would break in every one. That is not practical both from in time or  money. And, unfortunately, The same riders that would not listen to me about break in also won't listen to me about usage ( Stay OFF the freeway!). So I simply try to educate my customers. In terms of 60 or 70 miles on a bike on the floor, It can be a crap shoot. I keep a designated demonstrator, but some times people insist on a specific bike to test. I accommodate them AFTER I hammer into them the break in speeds. So far it has worked out well. I haven"t had any problems I could directly trace to a test ride. If you think your dealer has a similar program,  the bike should be just fine. Also, it has been pointed out that you do have a warranty. CMW is great about that. They all come with 12 to 25 miles from the factory. Just make sure that you keep up with proper break in, riding, and maintenance. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks Vince. The shop that has the enfield is very unique. Its main business is a mechanic shop for import vehicles only. Its your typical "small shop" which has a small office/waiting room and 3 bays for the cars. In the winter they keep the bikes in the back all lined up. His main sales of bikes are scooters and Urals! My buddy is totally tempted to get one of those with the 2wd. Ya know, for the Chicago snow lol. Plus he just started carrying the enfield i think a couple years ago, maybe longer.

He seems like a really cool guy that is knowledgeable of his machines so that makes me feel better. It also is a good possibility that he put the miles on. If i don't see him at the shop in the upcoming weeks i will definitely see him at the international cycle show in a couple weeks. He works the Ural display every year.

So we'll see, i appreciate the heads up!