Author Topic: neutral light  (Read 3287 times)

donatelos

• Scooter
on: December 20, 2010, 07:58:13 pm
Hi all, had my c5 classic a few weeks now and have been very carefull with  the run in however as I am just on the first oil change the neutral light has gone tempremental  with intermmitent working and now not at all and as anything electrical is weird science to  me I was wondering if any of you gentlemen can clue me into a fix,my dealer is many miles away and as you may know the UK is in the grip of a blizzard winter so riding anywhere far is out of the question for now,thanks all .Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:10:29 pm
Check the bulb first.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:59:45 pm
yep did that early on,no go ,is there a switch connection or joint coneliction someplace,Ta
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:30:11 pm
I've come across a few of the earlier-type (with the Lucar connector) that were open at the switch where the wire goes into the potting. I think this was due to the wire insulation being somewhat stiff and the potting being on the bare wire, rather than the insulation. If the bulb is good - just get a newer-style switch for it and call it done, I'd say ......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:28:03 pm
not sure about this (bob will verify) , when the wire (single) is earthed , thru the switch , the light will come on , thereore if you disconnect the wire from the switch and earth it the light should come on

if the light comes on then the switch is either faulty and a call to watsonion should get you a replacement under warrenty

bob , are they single terminal , and screw in?
arthritis hurts at my age!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:27:13 am
not sure about this (bob will verify) , when the wire (single) is earthed , thru the switch , the light will come on , thereore if you disconnect the wire from the switch and earth it the light should come on

if the light comes on then the switch is either faulty and a call to watsonion should get you a replacement under warrenty

bob , are they single terminal , and screw in?
Correct, correct and correct!

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:20:32 pm
sorry but yet another dumb question ,where is the switch housed, I assume somewhere near the gearbox? if so what do I need to get at it or am I completley on the wrong track.Don

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:55:33 pm
sorry but yet another dumb question ,where is the switch housed, I assume somewhere near the gearbox? if so what do I need to get at it or am I completley on the wrong track.Don

If you look at the right side of the bike on the top of the engine case, a little towards the middle and behind the starter, you'll see it. I think it uses a 17mm wrench to unscrew it - but it's likely just a little more than finger tight as it is plastic .....

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 04:03:07 pm
Thanks all,once the ice an snow decides to clear from my garage I will investigate further armed with your advice and hopefully can play on my bike again.my pal looked  the c5 over and is impressed to the point wants a ride with the veiw to buying so thats the second convert in a month I've made not bad eh :)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 09:54:29 pm
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue.