Author Topic: The man from India  (Read 1811 times)

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
on: December 20, 2010, 12:50:45 am
Had a nice exchange with an Indian gentleman this morning at church. Turns out he was in the country to trouble shoot some pc programs his company deisgns. and had heard of our church through a mutual friend.

He lives in Bangalore and was more than a bit surprised to run into an RE owner at a small church in snow covered Michigan.

Had a great time listening to him talk about some of the domestic market RE's and he was very curious as to why I had purchased an RE above other brands avaliable here in the US.

Great way to start the day!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Royal Rider

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 02:21:33 am
Isn't it amazing what a conversation starter these bikes are!! :)

I had a similar experience recently as I sat in a coffee shop watching people stop and gawk at the Enfield parked out front.

A young man came over and asked if i was the owner of the Royal Enfield.  He then introduced himself and told me he was here from India attending school and that his father once had ridden an Enfield in the Indian Army.  He proceded to tell me much of the history of the brand - some of which I knew - much of which I didn't.  He knew quite a bit about the bike's mechanics and seemed genuinely pleased to see "a piece of home" in a place so far away.  After we talked for a bit, he asked me if I minded if he went out and took some pictures of my bike with his cell phone to send to his friends back home.  Like you, it was really a great way to start the day!
2004 Bullet Sixty5
(RE)Livin' the Dream!

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:27:45 am
Similar thing for me.  Here in Boston, or more specifically Cambridge, there is a huge Indian population.  Mostly because of MIT and the massive bio-tech industry here.  My commute takes me right by MIT and the tech parks where a good deal of Indian folks are walking around.  I have a really good chuckle with all the double-takes my Enfield gets from them.  It's usually followed by one of them arm slapping the other to look before I take off.  It's like they are seeing  a ghost!
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 02:28:10 am
I'm amazed at how many people have never even heard of the royal enfield.  I run into this all the time.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 05:04:38 am
Right then ---I was just coming out of the sperm bank and I fell over this Indian bloke lying in the street. He said Oh sorry governor I was just looking for the spring toggle of the carburettor needle adjustment on my Re.

I adjusted myself as I was feeling a little uncomfortable and hepled him to dismantle my ball point pen to repair and replace his toggle spring. He explained that bits of ball point pens, and toilet ball cocks etc was exactly what the RE was made of and why it was so popular with the affluent Indian community

His head wobbled as I explained that I too had an RE, --he went on to say that his mother in law was still today at 96 years old the chief track tester at Chennai factory and he himslef supplied the workers with curried  lamb jappattis at luch time.

isnt that weird?

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 02:54:26 pm
Clamp I thought you were heading down that yellow brick road scenario....Actually I could see that happening with you as the main player but to be honest I develop a habit of head wobbling when I lived in Delhi for 2 years..Goes with the territory when trying to get something done or agreed upon....The Sperm Bank thing (well since u dont have a pension you gotta do what you gotta to do to pay the bill)...I figure sooner or later we get on the sibject of your prostrate..I did find the head wobbling not as much a factor in the upper claases but it is inherit to the Indian culture...
Oh Magoo you done it again

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 03:30:09 pm
Clamp I thought you were heading down that yellow brick road scenario....Actually I could see that happening with you as the main player but to be honest I develop a habit of head wobbling when I lived in Delhi for 2 years..Goes with the territory when trying to get something done or agreed upon....The Sperm Bank thing (well since u dont have a pension you gotta do what you gotta to do to pay the bill)...I figure sooner or later we get on the sibject of your prostrate..I did find the head wobbling not as much a factor in the upper claases but it is inherit to the Indian culture...

What--you think I might be making this up, you think Im joking.  By the way prostrate is lying flat on the floor, I think it is the prostate that you are refering too.

No pension !!!  nope,-- but glad your paying attention.  ;)

The Indian head wobble is subserviant and is respectfull, it means I am listening and I will do what you say and I am in agreement and understand.   They then go away and do what ever they want.

We nod --and is similar.

Ive hired many and fired more. Subserviant yes --usefull no.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:45:37 pm by clamp »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:52:40 pm
Right then ---I was just coming out of the sperm bank

Was that for a deposit or withdrawal?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 10:56:58 pm
Was that for a deposit or withdrawal?

ROFL!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:36:48 pm
Some day some poor mother is going to wonder how she ended up with such a sarcastic,pessimistic little shit of a kid.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 01:44:39 am
Thanks redcat that will help me get through the day. Your obviously a cut above the rest.

Of all my faults  I have never ever insulted anyone, and I never will,-- thank you.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 02:26:55 am
You're welcome, I think
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 02:43:24 am
I ride my RE to get take away from this Indian restaurant...kinda ironic.  :D
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet