Author Topic: Magneto....?  (Read 10404 times)

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
on: January 21, 2008, 04:37:44 am
I found a guy on-line that makes a mounting plate for a magneto on a Bullet.  Does anyone have such a beast?  If so, what are your thoughts?  Seems to me it would be very trick, but very pricey.  I have requested more info from the vendor, will share the results.
geichal

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:52:31 am
Please keep us informed as that will be interesting. I think the Lucas RS1 is the mag that was used originally. Still available from stationary engine outlets as a popular mag on the Lister 'D' 1.5hp engines in UK.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 02:04:40 am
My Redditch built 1954 has a Lucas type MO1 magneto.  After a rebuild and some problem solving (apparently the rebuilder got a bad batch of condensors) it seems to work reliably.  Be aware that if you go with this early type that it does not have automatic spark advance (which it is actully quite fun to play with the manual advance as you are pulling up hills etc. and gives you a very good idea of the affect of ignition timing on the way the engine runs - especially when kick starting!!!!).

I have never used these people but they might have what you need.

www.srm-engineering.com/MagDynoElectrical.pdf?img
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:13:44 pm
Been weighing that thought also.I cant justify the extreme cost.Since our model engines allready have a charging system,the dyno part isn't really needed. Also the crankcase vent is in a bad spot now that it has been moved from the left side of the cylinder, I guess you could get around that. Also you could expect the timing gears to hum a little more since they will be working harder.( you can hear this in older mag equipped bikes) Plus, its hard to beat the battery system especially with a kicker bike because the spark is fully there regardless of engine kick velocity. If I'm going to spend big money I might go for the roller bottom end.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:18:28 pm
SRL790
 (         and gives you a very good idea of the affect of ignition timing on the way the engine runs - especially when kick starting!!!!).

Is this when you forget and leave the bike in full advance!!    :o  Eeek

Ducati 916 'L' twin

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:27:56 pm
Yeah, manual advance and a kick pedal can be painful if you forget to retard. It's been my experience with mag equipped sportsters that you have to give it one hell of a kick to get the mag to spark. The remedy was to get an "impulse mag" or "snap mag". They were available from Morris at a hefty price. But they did the job,winding a big clock spring and impulsing at just the right time. Once the engine fires that feature kicks out and the mag operates like any other .
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:17:00 am
Petter A1 stationary engines have impulse mags. Now I have found that as most stationary engines are hand swung if set up correctly AND the mag has a decent spark then it should be no problem. It is when the coils or very often the magnets 'get tired' that they become trickier. I have mags here on a bench that literally by flipping over on the end of the mag will get a big fat purple spark even without an impulse mag. I have recovered an old non working mag by having it remagnetised etc. From nothing to healthy again for only a 10 dollar re-mag. by someone with the equipment.

Ducati 916 'L' twin

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 12:49:05 am
They give one hell of a bang when your cranking them over, takes some time to get used to that. I have a fairbanks Morse from a model L gravely tractor thats an impulse unit. It's the one I would consider installing. But now with the breather in the way, and I suspect there is some mag mounting  casting no longer there. They usually mounted on a shelf-like casting.I have to investigate that a little further.

geichal

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 02:18:45 am
According to Bruce from www.enfieldracing.com: The conversion replaces the distributer, is a direct bolt on unit, allows precise timing, does always operate at full advance (no retard for starting), uses a special unit available for Joe Hunt Magnetos (single fire).  The photos of the mounting assy. are on a "99" Bullet while the one showing the whole mag is on a "59" Big Head Fury.
Geichal
[/img]

[old attachment deleted by admin]

geichal

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 02:21:18 am
Here us a picture of the mag. (still trying to get the hang of posting photos)
geichal

[old attachment deleted by admin]

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 03:48:41 am
SRL790
 (         and gives you a very good idea of the affect of ignition timing on the way the engine runs - especially when kick starting!!!!).

Is this when you forget and leave the bike in full advance!!    :o  Eeek

When I first washed up on the beach in the US I was living in a small appartment in Fort Lauderdale.  At the time I was riding a '68 Sporster that belonged to a friend of mine.  Some previous owner had seen fit to remove the retard mechanism from the magneto so it was necessary to start it at full advance.  The guy who owned it weighing in at around 300# + had no problem kicking it through and getting it to go.

I on the other hand, weighed about 150#, and, had to go through all sorts of gyrations to get it to go which, unbeknownst to me, was causing the girl who lived two doors down all sorts of amusement, especially the morning when it kicked back and I spent about the next half hour limping around the yard cursing and trying to build up enough courage to try again.  (I found out later that she had her Mother staying and the two of them were rolling on the floor).

Well to cut a long story short, the girl next door is now my wife of 19 years (and still laughing :D), so think real hard before installing that mag!

Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

geichal

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 04:15:54 am
It looks interesting, but at $145 for the mount and $700+$1000 for the magneto, it kind of blows my LOW budget build.  Still....VERY interesting...
geichal

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 08:27:52 pm
Crazy mag price!!!
A decent Lucas Sr1 mag over here in UK can be had for about 50-75 US dollars second hand. As long as it would fit the mount............................ ;D

SRL790
Nice story!  :D Good for you guys!!!  ;)

Ducati 916 'L' twin

geichal

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 12:46:21 am
I contacted Hunt : $145 for the mount and $645 for the mag....Not as bad as I though, but still steep.
geichal