Author Topic: Finally - a ride!  (Read 4012 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: December 15, 2010, 07:32:02 pm
Up to date with work at last, I thought I'd get into the garage this afternoon and fit the crashbar which has been waiting still in its packaging for almost two months. Plain straight bar from Watsonian - looks good on the bike.
Once it was on of course I couldn't resist getting on and having a bit of a thunder around the local roads. I must've looked like the Michelin man with so many layers of clothing, but the sun was shining and it's been a few degrees above freezing for some days, so no ice left. Roads a little damp so I didn't get silly.
First ride for many weeks and I was getting mighty glum about it. But didn't it raise my spirits! No wonder I was getting so glum -  I'm addicted!   The hurtling pleasure of it, that goldstar roar - I stayed out until the sun sank down and I was just too cold to do it any more.
Cheered me up no end, and I'm going out again tomorrow if the weather holds. Got to get a regular fix for a happy life it seems.
Now I'm looking at getting one of those bike cams to film some of my rides across Dartmoor and along the coast. Watch this space..... ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:47:18 am
Rock on,Will.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:00:01 am
Cheered me up no end, and I'm going out again tomorrow if the weather holds. Got to get a regular fix for a happy life it seems.

Now I'm looking at getting one of those bike cams to film some of my rides across Dartmoor and along the coast. Watch this space..... ;)
@Will:

Riding a Bullet certainly brings joy to the rider.  It is kind of happiness 'pill' for cabin fever.  What type of camera are you getting - something for the handlebar or for the helmet ?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:03:19 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:59:25 am
Funny how one never sees a motorcycle parked in front of a psychotherapists  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:33:23 am
True enough. It really is good for you. My doctor rides a motorbike and he agrees  :D

Singh - since the idea arose I've done a lot of research, and more or less settled on the Drift Innovations HD170. This will go on helmet or handlebars, although large for helmet use compared to some of the tiny bullet cams (aptly named in our case...) It'll be good for cycling too.
I wanted an all-in-one cam rather than wires running from helmet cam to recorder & power source. I also wanted true high definition, having been very unimpressed by the output of everything else I've seen, and an LCD screen built in for playback and menu adjustments without pc.
In terms of video quality I was tempted by the Contour HD, except for no LCD. I also like the Camsports HD Max Extreme, but too expensive, only available from one source, and no reviews. The GoPro is popular but an ugly brute and no LCD. The Drift unit ticks all the boxes, and there is plenty of price competition. All have crappy sound but an external mike can be plugged in to catch the glorious goldie growl and roar....
I'm waiting for Amazon UK to get them back in stock - almost £50 cheaper than most places - and £80 cheaper than some!!
All I now have to do is talk myself into actually buying it. Virgin money is offering interest free payments for a year, so it'll seem relatively painless.......  Oh dear I'm being manipulated by the system again........ :-\
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:54:39 am by WillW »

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 02:05:21 pm
I THINK THERE IS SOMETHING EXTRA SATISFYING ABOUT ABOUT Winter rides on a Bullet. I made it out this past Sunday for about a 20 Mile run. It wasn't bone chilling cold (38 degrees) but it did get your attention. I did stop for a cup of coffee at about the half way mark. While I was riding I thought it might be interesting to log in here on the winter rides, say if its below 40 degrees and of a reasonable distance. There is a possibility we are going to get a significant snow storm on Sunday night so that may slow me down for a while.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:34:32 pm
Satisfying indeed, particularly as I was more or less resigned to no biking for the duration. A real bonus. And it's good to know I don't have to go out in all weathers like when I was young and two wheels was all I had. I was hoping for more today but rain has stopped play. Snow forecast here too for the weekend, but we rarely get much of it this side of the moor, and nothing compared to Scotland or your neck of the woods...

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:45:42 pm

-a friend of mine does this..he will plan out a ride then use his digital cam mounted on his handlebars to film it. Then on days he can not ride (lives in Indiana so....) he has a stand he puts his bike on in his garage and plays his rides on a big screen tv. Kinda like virtual riding.  :D He also walks his dog on a treadmill so... :o

I will be watching to view your posts..... 8)
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 06:30:48 pm
Well.....  I might post on YouTube, and I might send some clips to my brother in Australia, but I'm really not going to sit on my bike in the garage and watch films of me on my bike on the road....... :P
I'm a little weird, some folks say, but I'm not that weird yet......   ;)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:03:07 pm
True enough. It really is good for you. My doctor rides a motorbike and he agrees  :D

Singh - since the idea arose I've done a lot of research, and more or less settled on the Drift Innovations HD170. This will go on helmet or handlebars, although large for helmet use compared to some of the tiny bullet cams.

All I now have to do is talk myself into actually buying it. Virgin money is offering interest free payments for a year, so it'll seem relatively painless....... Oh dear I'm being manipulated by the system again........ :-\

@Will:

Looks like your choice Drift Innvations HD170 is top of the line for the kind of things you want to do.  I looked it up and found some reviews, and video comparisons on youtube.  Then I looked at the price.  Oh, boy - it is not cheap, costing $330 from a US source !  But it has every thing you need.  

I have taken some videos with my digital camera mounted on the handlebar of RE.  But the handlebar vibrations were too much and produced a very shaky video that was  difficult to watch and stressful to eyes.  The video was kind of OK at slow speed but in my regular traffic road conditions constant variation of speed caused very shaky video.  It may be ok in top gear at constant speed.  Or may be my adapter-mount does not neutralise vibrations as much. I have seen some other people's vidoes on youtube with handlebar mounted cameras - BUT they were NOT riding the king of vibrations, the BULLET.  When you get it let us know the quality of your videos and sound quality.

Oh, yeah - the system has its hands in your pocket  ;)

http://pointofviewcameras.com/drift-hd170-1080p-action-camera.html

Comparison of Drift HD170 vs. GoPro Hero HD on Ninja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x1MWNDFjeE&feature=related
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:17:19 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 07:22:21 pm
Singh - Yes I was hoping to mount the camera on the handlebars, but as you point out - the bullet may be just a bit too shaky for it. Time will tell, and I'll certainly let you know and post some clips. The weather has turned wet here so who knows when I'll get on the bike again.....
As with most things, the camera is way cheaper in the USA than in the UK. $330 dollars there means £330 pounds here - NOT the actual equivalent of £212 !!  Strangely I can never find a retailer willing or able to explain this to me......However, Amazon UK have it for £253. Not cheap, but better.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:30:33 pm
@Will:

The price $330 is SALE price, actual regular price is $380 that will be close to what you will pay in equivalent pounds 250.  But generally I agree with you that prices may be slightly lower in US than UK.

This page on same camera site shows regular price.

http://pointofviewcameras.com/
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 07:36:19 pm
Singh - take a look at this comparison for a truer representation of the HD170. YouTube clips are degraded and don't show anything like the camera's true capability. It's the GoPro being shown, but the HD170 has identical video quality

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoWSZcf7OK4

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 07:02:16 pm
Singh - take a look at this comparison for a truer representation of the HD170. YouTube clips are degraded and don't show anything like the camera's true capability. It's the GoPro being shown, but the HD170 has identical video quality

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoWSZcf7OK4

@Will:

It is quite impressive.  

BTW, I went for a ride yesterday - it was freezing temperature 32F (0C) and below freezing wind chill (about 28F) when I left, then the temp rose to 35F for a while and then dipped again.  In my experience the G5 ran better, the clutch, gear shift, throttle response was superior.  I have lighter oil 10W-40 for winter and also use StarTron fuel stabilizer.

Do you find that your bike ran better in cold weather when you rode a few days back ?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 02:01:45 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 08:19:53 pm
It was lumpy for a while, but it hadn't been run for some weeks. Impressively, it started after just a couple of spins, without the battery having been charged at all. I'd started the bike only twice in those weeks, and let it idle for ten minutes or so.
After about twenty minutes it was running smoothly, although I wouldn't say I noticed any particular improvement to normal running. I was taking it steady - the roads were damp and it was just above freezing, so I didn't really get an opportunity to open it up much. But it was a real pleasure to get out on the bike again. I hope for more winter riding, but we've had a couple of inches of snow and apparently more to come.
I don't use any fuel additives. I use Silkolene 15w-50 fully synth oil.
Glad to hear you're able to get some riding in Singh - but brrrrr... roll on spring... 8)

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 04:21:33 am
Will, good on ya! Be safe.
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:42:19 am
Managed two rides in the last six weeks - in the only two viable weather windows that have occurred in the north-east of England during that time. Now I'm shut down again by a fresh fall of snow and a 28 F daytime maximum temp.

I got a first kick fire-up at the last ride, and much nostalgia from the smell of hot WD40 as the bike warmed up. Took me back to the 1980 Honda 250 I learned on, and my determination to ride that new bike for hours at a time, despite the rotten winter we had.

I am not made of such stern stuff nowadays.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 11:08:34 am
Similar down here in Devon. The main roads are ok but there's no way out of here other than on a tractor for the time being. I've just eaten the last of the bacon on the last bit of bread, so it's on with the long johns & wellies for the long walk to town...... :(

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 02:52:30 am
Managed two rides in the last six weeks - in the only two viable weather windows that have occurred in the north-east of England during that time. Now I'm shut down again by a fresh fall of snow and a 28 F daytime maximum temp.

I got a first kick fire-up at the last ride, and much nostalgia from the smell of hot WD40 as the bike warmed up. Took me back to the 1980 Honda 250 I learned on, and my determination to ride that new bike for hours at a time, despite the rotten winter we had.

I am not made of such stern stuff nowadays.

Br. Chasfield,

Take solace in the fact that you did and you were.  ;)

No matter where you go, there, you are.