Author Topic: Myth or fact?  (Read 5662 times)

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
on: December 13, 2010, 03:01:59 pm
Has anyone heard a story of a girl buying a iron barrel bullet somewhere in the northeast, riding it across to the west coast then through central and South America?
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:07:46 pm
Fact, but she never broke it in properly.  She just bought it brand new and just took off riding.  As I recall she also had a leak where the PAV joint met the header, making it likely run extra lean and hot.  Needless to say, much of the story involves her replacing seized pistons!  From her account, it sounded like the bike probably would have made it ok if she had properly run it in first (I think she generally cruised around 50mph). 

Eamon

Eamon

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:32:47 pm
Are you talking about Carla King? She rode a Ural in the USA, a Chang Jiang in China and a Royal Enfield in India, pretty cool gal in my book.
http://www.carlaking.com/
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 04:39:47 pm
Someone posted that story about an Austrian woman here a year or two ago. I think she flew into JFK in NYC and then bought a green Bullet in Jersey. Then, as Eamon says, she just took off. I think she finally ditched the bike in Mexico.

http://www.bikerstime.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49%3Abikers-time-motorcycle&catid=36%3Abikerstime-motorcycles-cyprus&Itemid=65&lang=en

Here's the blog she wrote about it:

http://www.travelluna.com/

You can click on the British flag at the bottom to read it in English.

Jeff

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:53:50 pm
Cool, thanks for the link.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:03:02 pm
I wish my wife would buy one, and just GO AWAY
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:03:59 pm
Travel Luna is a great read. Read it a couple of years ago. If she didn't have a chest like a dead heat in a blimp race, she'd still be in Ohio ;).
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:14:21 pm
"chest like a dead heat in a blimp race"

Man - That's SO awesome - I'm usin' it .......  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 02:14:57 am
Yeah, there's a few pics of her in the story and she's a real looker. Couple that with a german accent, and she had every man from New Jersey to Brazil  doing her top end.(which frequently needed doing). ::) Anyway had that been one of us, they would just be discovering our bones about now.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:02:29 am
My wife is German.No accent.Came over on an ocean liner and don't remember a damned thing about it,and she was 6 years old at the time.I would get 'er a one way ticket back in a New York minute.You can tell she is German.Don't ask.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 11:26:01 am
My wife is German.No accent.Came over on an ocean liner and don't remember a damned thing about it,and she was 6 years old at the time.I would get 'er a one way ticket back in a New York minute.You can tell she is German.Don't ask.

Mine's German as well .... I FEEL your pain .....  ::) (Especially since I'm IRISH ... )

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 02:40:52 pm
 Mine as well. Do you guys sometimes find your wives sleeping at attention to ? How about when you get home from work, do they ask you for your Papers as well?  :D
Oh, she's gonna kick my ass  :P
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 02:53:08 pm
Single, GHG - You KNOW that the Germans have been trampling across France for CENTURIES, trying to eliminate the Celtic tribes in England, Scotland and Ireland. As a whole, they were beaten .... but one at a time, the Germans MAY succeed!! Hahahaha!

My lovely Darcie is a case study in German perfection. Always neat, always clean - always perfect. And more logical than a freekin' Pentium chip. I, on the other hand (according to her, anyway) must have been raised by Gypsies. Apparently, it is a crime in Germany to get undressed for bed and not fold and iron your dirty clothes. It also must be a crime to push back from the dinner table, have a beer and enjoy the feeling of fullness that a good meal gives - you must IMMEDIATELY jump up, and while chewing your last bite, fill the dishwasher and start scrubbing pots and pans. And don't EVEN get out of the shower and toss your towel over the shower curtain rack to dry and re-use, either ..... Hahahaha! I love her dearly - she'll NEVER get me trained though ....  ;) I am, after all, Scots-Irish! I MAY win the war after all by sheer stubbornness .....  ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 03:07:38 pm
" Pentium Chip"   :D :D :D. That's my Fraue's new name!!! You must desist in making me spray coffee from my nostrills. :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:37:45 pm by gashousegorilla »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 04:00:34 pm
" Pentium Chip"   :D :D :D. That's my Fraue's new name!!! You must desist in making me spray coffee from my nostrills. :D :D :D :D :D

....but am I not right on every count?  ::)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 04:58:54 pm
 Yes you are. You could say we made a strategic withdraw to Scotland, Ireland, and America, but they have infiltrated our Lines. Like at the battle of the Bulge. ;)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 05:07:55 pm
"Strategic Withdrawal" - Is THAT what it is when we run into the garage? Hahahaha!  ;)

blueberry

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 05:40:04 pm
You guys have it easy.  My sister in law made the bed while my brother was still in it.
Ride Safe, Blueberry
2008 Electra
1985 Honda 250 Rebel
1970 Honda SL90

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 06:53:10 pm
You guys have it easy.  My sister in law made the bed while my brother was still in it.
Aaaaa...., zat iz na...zing. " leipschin You haff made unautherized purcheses , vis out lettink me no of zis? On motorbikin partz!!, do you REALLY need zis? viz out prior authorization? Mien goot".........." But..But.. Ava Darl'in....I..I..I..I"   Geez, I thought the Fallschumjager were gonna drop in. And Hienz Gudarian was gonna Blitz down the street !  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:28:30 pm by gashousegorilla »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 06:58:03 pm
Aaaaa...., zat iz na...zing. " leipschin You haff made unautherized purcheses , vis out lettink me no of zis? On motorbikin partz!!, do you REALLY need zis? viz out prior authorization? Mien goot".........." But..But.. Ava Darl'in....I..I..I..I"   Geez, I thought the Fallschumjager were gonna drop in. And Hienz Gudarian were gonna Blitz down the street ! 

Coffee ........ nose .........  ;D ;D ;D!! Too funnie - TOO TRUE!! (Das ist mainen bearinginens for das BEE-ESS-AYE? Ist ein INFERIOR motorbike! Spenden ze money on ein INFERIOR motorbike??)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 07:43:24 pm
 LMAO!!!." Das eez it ! I vil correct dis! You, you,you, Irish !!. You vil be interned for zee veekend,(eye's squinting), NOW SCRUB !!"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 12:00:00 am
Haw Haw Haw!! - It's ALWAYS Zee SKRUBBIN BROOSH .... !  ::) Der Hausfrau ist der Furher ov zee skubbin broosh ......  ;D Mein Gott in Himmel .... ist der grossen komiker!

(This time it was ALMOST a little Michael Collins out the nose .... THAT would have stung, me thinks ...... !)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 01:49:46 am
Enough ! We must now be careful, We " Haff " said too much already. I no na...zing! :'(

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 11:30:11 am
 ;D ;D ;D ;D.......... ::)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 02:09:04 pm
 " Vere haff u been?....In zee garage?....Wis u brudda, wis zee tatto's?...Doo U haff another Frau, huh?....Zee bikes again? U...schud... haff... married ..a...mo..to..rad !!!!  I haff called serty six times !!!
 Thats it ,i'm out of here,  I must go into hideing, she gonna find this.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:14:11 pm by gashousegorilla »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 02:27:47 pm
Find it? You'll be a good Irishman and SHOW it to her for a laugh ...... only she won't see the humor in it, not being Irish and all .... Hahahaha! I tell my Hausfrauline that the garage keeps me out of the bars and away from the tawdry red-heads .... she tells ME that the red-head would be CHEAPER! I'm sure she's run the numbers, being the ever efficient German ....  ::)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 05:25:05 pm
GHG - SB ... enough is enough I'm afraid to drink anything for fear of not reaching my stomach!   ;D :o ;)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 05:43:12 pm
GHG - SB ... enough is enough I'm afraid to drink anything for fear of not reaching my stomach!   ;D :o ;)

It's a proven fact that food and drink can be absorbed though your nose and off of your chin ..... I've seen infants do this ....  ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 06:15:35 pm
Being of Irish persuasion my  self, I had the good sense to marry a Red headed Irish lass. The ONLY smart thing I've ever done.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 06:32:08 pm
Being of Irish persuasion my  self, I had the good sense to marry a Red headed Irish lass. The ONLY smart thing I've ever done.

Yeah - I came close to that once or twice - I love 'em - but they are too much LIKE me to get along with 'em .... Hahahaha!  ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 06:51:42 pm
 I'll admit a bit of fire now and then, I've learned to duck and run pretty well ;D
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 07:25:29 pm
I'll admit a bit of fire now and then, I've learned to duck and run pretty well ;D

;D ;D ::)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 09:15:23 pm
There are quite a few sets of lady-ears burning right now with in intuitional suspicion ... you guys are playing with FIRE.  You're gonna get us ALL in trouble some how... I just know it!  Here they come... SCATTER!
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 09:28:33 pm
Hahaha!! I'm well aware of what's going on - and that it might get back to the women folks. I look at this way - she's GERMAN - she couldn't possibly beat on an old Irish Hillbilly boy MUCH harder, could she? ::)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 10:19:54 pm
 All too true boys, and all this is of course exaggerated and nothing more the good natured kidding( Honey bee ? :-[). We take snickering delight in doing it, and even more in receiving it. We can;t be all serious and technical ALL the time, GEEZ. And you KNOW Scooterbob, I showed her, hell what fun would it "haff" been if I didn't? :D She gets it, she better after all this time, although Frau Blucher was a bit much ::) But she  " vil" remember, and nail me at some point, and I'll snicker in delight, on the inside.What the  hell, were always in trouble anyway ! ;)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 10:36:48 pm
What the  hell, were always in trouble anyway ! ;)

Truer words, there are not.  
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 11:05:38 pm
What the  hell, were always in trouble anyway ! ;)

All the time, brother, all the time. Last night the Missus wanted hot dessert.....You guessed it ..."Not That Hot, and I wanted Ice cream on teh side, not on top !!!"

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 11:07:02 pm
Travel Luna is a great read. Read it a couple of years ago. If she didn't have a chest like a dead heat in a blimp race, she'd still be in Ohio ;).

Br. Crysub, got a picture you could post. I haff to see that.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 16, 2010, 12:45:47 am
You guys are lucky,mine is the other kind.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 16, 2010, 01:04:05 am
You guys are lucky,mine is the other kind.
Vhich kindt ?