Author Topic: New G5 owner, minor problems fixed.  (Read 4907 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
on: December 11, 2010, 07:21:40 pm
Dwight Kinzer in Rome GA checking in with a new G5.  It is a green '09 with 32 mi on the clock when I picked it up from dealer in Norcross GA.  Today I toped of the tank and found 2 minor problems, one of which I have seen on this forum.  The low fuel light stayed on.  the sensor checked "open" but when the contacts were shorted, the red "Royal Enfield" came on.  The bulbs were installed in wrong places.  Easily fixed.  The other issue was a slight gas leakage from cap.  The tapered rubber seak on fuel cap did not make contact at front of tank.  I tucked a Viton "O" ring under the inner edge of the rubber seal.  This lifted the seal about a 1/16" and gave a good seal.  In a few weeks the dealer should have a Cozy Euro in primer for me.  I plan to paint green to match the bike and add gold striped to match bike trim.  Since I do volunteer work for the City of Rome. especially the Convention and Visitors Bureau, I should have plenty of oportunities to show it off.  I have been doing this work in my Morgan Plus-8, but IRS allows less than what the gas for the Morgan costs.  The RE and sidecar are taking the place of my 1932 Morgan three wheeler that I recently sold.  It was a lot of fun, but I got a good price.  The $21K was what I paid for it plus twice what I had invested in it over 5 years of work.  It was in good shape when I sold it to the family I had gotten it from in 2005.  No Morgan Three Wheel activities here.  GA-DK

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:26:09 pm
Be sure to post pictures of that new bike, especially when you get the sidecar mounted.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:34:55 pm
I'll post photos under Members Rides as I get them and learn how to post photos.  I have not looked into that yet but I should be able to figure it out.  To fill in a bit of background, I am a retired chemistro professor and amature machinist.  Most of my time for the last 12 years have involved my Morgans and my shop.  In November we drove the Morgan (2000 Plus 8) to New England for the Autumn MOG in Newport RI.  I took 3rd in class in the People's Choice judging of the cars, and a 1st Place win for the Newer Plus 8's on the autocross track.  I may be old, but I can still move.  I started out on a Wizzer Sportsman in about 1954.  In the 60's I had 3 new Honda's, a CB-77, a CA-77, (both 305's) and a CB-450)  As I got out of grad school I got and restored a 1937 Harley Davidson Servicar and a 48 HD 74 with sidecar.  The RE is the first MC I have been on since the mid 70's, but it is coming back.  GA-DK

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 11:00:04 pm
@Dwight:

Welcome to the RE Forum.  Look forward to see your bike and your riding experience with it.  G5 - good choice !
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:04:18 pm
Welcome aboard GA-DK and many happy miles to you.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:14:04 am
Be sure to post pictures of that new bike, especially when you get the sidecar mounted.
Yea, and that Morgan to. Welcome!
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:04:54 pm
Dwight Kinzer in Rome GA

..  The other issue was a slight gas leakage from cap.  The tapered rubber seal on fuel cap did not make contact at front of tank.  I tucked a Viton "O" ring under the inner edge of the rubber seal.  This lifted the seal about a 1/16" and gave a good seal.

Last week, my G5 gas leaked out from tank cap when breaks were applied hard on a couple of occasions. I am trying Dwight's idea and have inserted an O ring underneath the rubber seal. So far, it seems to be working. Thanks GA-DK for the idea  ;).

Inside the gas tank, it has many marks, scratches and paint has come off the rib (frame) that is just below the cap.  While filling the gas, the pump nozzle would hit it and scrape the paint off.  Gradually I learnt to keep the pump nozzle at an angle when filling gas but I think it now scrapes on the side of rib instead of hitting the top of rib.  

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:07:01 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:36:05 pm
I had a friend with a C5 with the same problem, open seal at the front.  I'll try to get him this info, seems like a good fix.

Are there two types of seals?  On my 2010 C5 I just have a flat piece of rubber, no fancy tapered seal.

Scott

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:50:00 pm
Mine is a flat piece of rubber, but the O-ring behind it forces the center down forming it into a conical shape which seals better.  GA-DK

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:38:20 am
Awesome! Yeah, post some pics once you get that sidecar!
I'm personally waiting for my 2011 Green G5 - was supposed to get it yesterday, but the dealer said there was some "paint inconsistencies" on the front fender, so they sent it to the paint shop. Said it'd be a day or two - so hopefully I'll get it either tomorrow or Friday! (EXCITED!!)
I love this forum because it seems like you all have an experienced solution for anything that could possibly go wrong with the bike! Truly an invaluable resource for RE's success!
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 01:30:18 am
Scotty:
Is your C5 a California approved bike that came with the California emission stuff installed?

My California approved G5 has a screw on cap that is totally different from the kind that's on the other "non-California" Enfields.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 03:36:35 am
I was mistaken.  I looked and it's the same seal pictured here.  And no, I'm not a Cali bike.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 08:36:51 am
To fix the leak from round the filler cap, I cut a ring from 2mm cork sheet and greased both sides. It's been on for months and still working.
If using rubber it needs to be the sort which is impervious to fuel. I tried a bit of old inner tube but it soon became useless.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

CoffeeAchiever

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 05:31:42 pm
Brilliant fix!  My garage has smelled of gasoline ever since I brought my G5 home.
2009 G5 Deluxe "Domino"

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 06:07:30 pm
To fix the leak from round the filler cap, I cut a ring from 2mm cork sheet and greased both sides. It's been on for months and still working.

If using rubber it needs to be the sort which is impervious to fuel. I tried a bit of old inner tube but it soon became useless.

Will - Where did you place the cork sheet ring - is it underneath the rubber gasket the way I have or somewhere different ?

The O-ring I used was an oversized ring sent by CMW a long time back as part of an oil change kit - though it does not fit anywhere on oil filter.  I had kept it aside and now found its use  ;D.  I had coated it with Lucas oil which is compatible with gas (petrol) and that will keep it from drying or cracking.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk