Author Topic: Military owners  (Read 11165 times)

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 20, 2008, 10:42:39 pm
  Just wondering how you like the saddlebags that come with that model? Not that I'm planning on putting bags on my Classic, but just wondering how they work out for you?
    Also, is the Military model going to come with the lean burn motor? Since the older engine is being dropped, I would assume (unless they are dropping the Military) that it is.

Thanks, Jon in Puyallup
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:26:26 am
Saddlebags are mucho great. They're very green though, huh?

Kinda noisy, so I put a small towel in the bottom to stop stuff rattling around there, and I have a little clear plastic tube between the lid and base to stop the lids rattling. Not sure if they're watertight, I doubt it. Good for carrying ammo I bet as well!

My dealer told me the Military is being continued with the AVL engine.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:49:35 am
They have a frame which is bolted to the bike and then the 'ammo' boxes have saddle clamps to bolt them down to said frame through the box floor. I used small sections of self adhesive thin rubber tape placed strategically to stop the boxes rubbing on this frame with vibration as being only supported at the bottom allows some movement at the top!
I also have (polishing ?) cloths in the bottom to stop the tools rattling and some of this rubber tape around the edge of the top lip to stop the hinged lid rattling. This was only partially succesful so I then fitted some over centre type cupboard catches at the rear and pop rivetted these in place. These pull down the lid onto the foam and Voila! No more rattling lids!!!!!!!
Pic not too clear, but best I have to show these catches at present

PS Edited to say those combination locks haven't got huge clasps on them as it appears. They just have some silcone tube (from a model shop) over the 'U' clasp to prevent metal to metal rattles. They have a bit of that rubber tape on the back of 'em too to prevent more rattles as they hit the box over bumps etc (yes, it became a 'Mission' ) !!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:33:55 pm by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 07:30:36 pm
I was also wondering about the panniers.  Does anyone know the dimensions?
Just wondering if a gallon of milk or bag of groceries would fit.

Regards, Jerry

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:25:55 pm
Maybe a skinny gallon of milk or groceries. They're only about 6" wide or so. Don't have an exact dimension, the bike's all bagged up for the winter. I bet you Mr. LotusSevenMan will tell you though.......

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 10:14:56 pm
LSM here!
OK. Std Army Ammo boxes are 4 & 3/8" wide at the narrowest point. 14" long again to the narrowest point and 12" deep with another 1 & 3/4" in the lid section.
Those narrow points are where the top of the lower box section is lipped inwards to accept the top swinging lid so it has all flush sides etc when lid is down :D

Ducati 916 'L' twin

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 01:18:36 am
    They are a good looking setup.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 03:37:23 am
LSM here!
OK. Std Army Ammo boxes are 4 & 3/8" wide at the narrowest point. 14" long again to the narrowest point and 12" deep with another 1 & 3/4" in the lid section.

Man, is that how big they are? Huh. I guess they're smaller than I remember (now, no jokes are needed based on that comment). I s'pose a 6" wide box would mean BIG ammo.

Thanks LSM

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 03:01:45 pm
Thanks for the measurements.  Since a gallon milk jug is 6x6x10.5 I guess I won't be able to justify purchase by pushing its "grocery getter" ability. 

It's  -4* F here  at midmorning (0900).  Spring is a ways off so I still have time to  hone my argument. 

Regards, Jerry

DireWolf

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 03:08:10 pm
My dealer added soft bags (military surplus) that hang on the outside of my panniers... They hold the milk jugs, 12-packs, etc with no problem + they look awesome.  It widens the rear of the bike a little more.  I'll try to get a picture & post it for you this week.

Ammo boxes + Side bags + cargo net = tons of storage for grocery-run.  Fight the good fight.

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 03:12:55 pm
Good idea the soft bags!  I'll look forward to seeing the pics. 

Jerry

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 04:02:34 pm
Thanks for the measurements.  Since a gallon milk jug is 6x6x10.5 I guess I won't be able to justify purchase by pushing its "grocery getter" ability. 

Regards, Jerry

How bout 1/2 gallons?? I think they will fit!!
- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 06:16:33 pm

It's  -4* F here  at midmorning (0900).  Spring is a ways off so I still have time to  hone my argument. 

Hey, our local grocer has wierd size milk jugs that are only 4" wide or so. Sounds like you need to find a different grocer  ;D With winter upon us, I guess you have all kinds of time to find the perfect reason to buy the RE!

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 06:54:09 pm
Buy the milk in those smaller containers; just buy more of 'em. They'll fit fine!!!!   ;D

Ducati 916 'L' twin

DireWolf

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 01:53:11 pm
Here's one.  They're on both sides.  Obviously it's empty.  They expand out pretty well when I've got stuff in them.  Pardon the leafblower, cooler, etc.  I park in front of my jeep in the winter.