Author Topic: Mitts for G5 For Winter Riding  (Read 1576 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 11, 2010, 10:21:37 pm
This topic of freezing hands during winter riding has been talked about a few times with different options for keeping them warm.  In a previous thread 'hypothermia' started by Ice, Vince had suggested handlebar gauntlets and UncleErnie had also recommended hippohands - http://www.hippohands.com/ .  Thank you for that.

This year winter has come early and temperature has been below normal for the last several days - which means no riding.  Today, we got a break and I took my G5 out and went straight to look at these mitts for handlebar.  They are Quadboss Extra Thick Hand Mitts that fit easily on the handlebar.  They have plenty of room to accomodate hands (with my gloves on) and easily operate clutch, front brake, throttle etc.  They are well designed and I did not have to cut a hole for mirror.  On my way back, my hands felt so much better that I had to keep going, ... riding ....., taking a long way home.  It felt so good to be able to ride on a crisp day and engine runs great.

Just to give an idea of their performance.  There are some small or not so expensive items that can make significant difference to the rider.  This is one of them.  I have last year used heated gloves that cost a lot more but these handlebar mitts for lot less give great protection.  And absolutely nothing required to put them on handlebar - not even a screw driver. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:41:04 pm
Mitts are much better than gloves at low temps.  I have a pair of HD mitts that I have used in temps to about 10F with good results.  They date to the 60's and are shearling lambskin mittens over the hands with black leather mittens over that up to almost the elbo.  Fingers together to reduce heat loss and no wind up the coat sleeve.  I have not looked, but HD had them for many years and I can't see them being dropped.  GA-DK