Author Topic: C5 or G5 with knobbies  (Read 7806 times)

fyr

• Scooter
on: December 11, 2010, 01:29:15 am
Well to start, I ride some pretty crappy, pot holed roads. I got rid of my 01 bonnie because it wasnt up to snuff on those roads (really chewed up the tailbone)..
However it's only 20% of thje time that I ride on those roads. The rest of the time is city comuting and errands (kids at home keep me from riding any distance- well SO lets me go for a nice weekend ride to the Adirondacks! ;D)
My question is two fold.
I love the style of the C5. It gets the heart racing... But practicality needs to be adressed. I need panniers to carry my kit. Id also like dirt capabale tires. Not knobbies but good cheap 50/50 tires. Can it be done with the 18 inch rims?
Or
Does the G5 suit this type of riding better (I love the kick start) with 19 inch rims (more tire choice?)
This bike will be ridden hard but not fast. My sport days are over. It will do yeomans service hauling my butt around town...
I notice in the UK they get the Woodsman. Id like something like that...
Any C5 or G5's riding in the dirt??

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:25:07 am
Check out the Kenda K265 universal, it's a Dunlop K70 knock off and it's avaliable in 3.25x18 and 3.50x18, I just ordered a set to try out next year, I do a little C5 riding on gravel too.
http://www.smalltires.com/categories/motorcycle-tires.cfm?action=Products&subaction=List&Categoryid=aa10c2b5-944b-40f3-9606-f1917c538f8d&brand=KENDA&size=18&totalSize=&Description=K265
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:33:08 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

fyr

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:33:10 am
Thanks R80
Good price on that rubber!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 02:40:42 am
 I don't like the stock low profile tires on the C5. I like the Dunlop K70 and ran it on all my old bikes, I was delighted to find a copy of them that would fit the C5. For the money I had to give the Kenda's a try.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

fyr

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 02:52:09 am
I cant remember what I put on my bonnie but I think they were Kenda's. They were pretty good.
Also, I am trying to find pics of a good pannier set up for either the G or C. I need the boxes to swallow up my work kit. They will have to compete with my R100s panniers. Those boxes can really hold a lot. Any good pics or reviews would be helpfull.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 02:56:17 am
PM scooterbob, he was working up some military panniers to fit a C5.
Here's a better look at that tire.
http://www.kenda.com.tw/eng/product/mc/k265.htm
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 03:51:57 am
 That's a good site r80rt ! Something like that may be good on my recently purchased CJ750. 8)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 04:15:17 am
That style works really good on a Cj 750, I had them on mine and they handled just fine. Did you get an overhead or flathead, My M1 flattie was a smooth running bike.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 04:51:43 am
Welcome aboard fyr.

I use my Iron Barrel Military as an all purposes motorcycle and it takes me every place I need to go and some places I shouldn't. ;)

IMHO. either a C5 or G5 will do fine for what you describe especially if slap a 21 inch front wheel on it.

R.E. collected many, many wins off road back in the day.

This should be of interest  ;D
http://www.sump-publishing.co.uk/royal%20enfield%20bullet.htm
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 05:00:03 am
That style works really good on a Cj 750, I had them on mine and they handled just fine. Did you get an overhead or flathead, My M1 flattie was a smooth running bike.

Picked up a OHV M1M, I would have preferred the flatty, love the look of that motor, but pickings around here are slim. Got a good price though and it's in pretty good shape. I love it, It IS a blast to drive !! What a cool bike. I'll shoot you over some Pics the next time I roll it out of the garage.

fyr

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 12:35:15 pm
Hi Ice
Thanks and great site!! Im going to have more time in front of my computer now! (good to pass an icy winter with)
And on that note Gashousegorilla, Pass me along some pics of that M1 as well. I was paying with the idea of a Ural to actually ride through the winter.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 01:59:45 pm

Picked up a OHV M1M, I would have preferred the flatty, love the look of that motor, but pickings around here are slim. Got a good price though and it's in pretty good shape. I love it, It IS a blast to drive !! What a cool bike. I'll shoot you over some Pics the next time I roll it out of the garage.
Did you get one with a sidecar? Mine was a solo, I put a high ratio final drive in, and a Ural deep sump for more oil, it would cruise at 60 all day, I miss it.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 07:46:16 pm
  Will due fyr, and welcome to the forum. IMHO, I would go for the C-5 military, with the Tires r80t suggested.You don't have to worry about the nice shiny paint and chrome on them Adirondack roads. The kicker IS cool, on the G-5, but again IMHO not needed. The Bike seems to have a Good modern charging system, unlike the old duel estart and kick bikes of years ago, where you had to run the bike forever to charge the battery. Two or three hits of the starter button with the head light on, and it was all over. Not so with the C-5. Pulled it out the other night, to warm it up before an oil change, 25 degrees out, hit the button, started right up, no enricher needed.Perfect high speed idle for the conditions, then settled down as it warmed.
 Sidecar r80rt, I have seen some solo's, and they are cool to. Real classic looking bikes.I think out of the three, Ural,Dneaper and CJ. The CJ at least looks the part the best, and most faithful to the R71. But , if not mistaken, the Ural and Dneaper are based on the R75.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 11:09:34 pm
Hi Ice
Thanks and great site!! Im going to have more time in front of my computer now! (good to pass an icy winter with)
And on that note Gashousegorilla, Pass me along some pics of that M1 as well. I was paying with the idea of a Ural to actually ride through the winter.

In the Adirondacks ? You Sir aRE hard core  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 11:29:06 pm
  Will due fyr, and welcome to the forum. IMHO, I would go for the C-5 military, with the Tires r80t suggested.You don't have to worry about the nice shiny paint and chrome on them Adirondack roads. The kicker IS cool, on the G-5, but again IMHO not needed. The Bike seems to have a Good modern charging system, unlike the old duel estart and kick bikes of years ago, where you had to run the bike forever to charge the battery. Two or three hits of the starter button with the head light on, and it was all over. Not so with the C-5. Pulled it out the other night, to warm it up before an oil change, 25 degrees out, hit the button, started right up, no enricher needed.Perfect high speed idle for the conditions, then settled down as it warmed.
 Sidecar r80rt, I have seen some solo's, and they are cool to. Real classic looking bikes.I think out of the three, Ural,Dneaper and CJ. The CJ at least looks the part the best, and most faithful to the R71. But , if not mistaken, the Ural and Dneaper are based on the R75.

This a shot of my M1
Iron Butt Association