Author Topic: Hey, who's good with computers ?  (Read 3880 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 11, 2010, 12:01:29 am
 Need some help. My DVD drive crapped out. I got a new one and hooked it up, no problem, it works fine. It has 2 SATA cables hooked up to it. I picked up two drives while i was at it, figured I'd add one for burning purposes. Question is,how to hook up the second one?  Any one have any good links?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 12:07:12 am
When it comes to computers I'm a fantastic plumber !  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 12:10:12 am
Yea too funny Ice :D, Do you run these drives with a primary chain ???

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 12:12:46 am
Yup. And they install very nicely, I use a screw hammer to tighten them down. ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 12:19:03 am
Yup. And they install very nicely, I use a screw hammer to tighten them down. ;D
I can't seem to find torque specs or were the auto tensioner is, in these here computer documents. ::)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 12:19:32 am
Need some help. My DVD drive crapped out. I got a new one and hooked it up, no problem, it works fine. It has 2 SATA cables hooked up to it. I picked up two drives while i was at it, figured I'd add one for burning purposes. Question is,how to hook up the second one?  Any one have any good links?

Use the USB port with a USB cable. You wanna make sure that you have USB 2.0 . Most new computers have that as a default. Make sure to lubricate the USB tip with WD40 or an oil of your choice.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:25:20 am
 Thanks 1 Thump, but this is an internal drive, with SATA cable hook ups. Like I know what SATA is? . Got a few extra plugs in here, but I don't want to screw it up and start some kind of Global Thermal event. :P

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 12:29:32 am
Use the USB port with a USB cable. You wanna make sure that you have USB 2.0 . Most new computers have that as a default. Make sure to lubricate the USB tip with WD40 or an oil of your choice.

Well, it sounds like he bought SATA drives, not USB.  

GHG, if you indeed bought SATA drives, then you need an unused SATA connection on your motherboard to hook up the second drive.  If your motherboard doesn't have one available, you should return the drive.  In that case, a USB drive would indeed be the easiest way to go.

Eamon
Eamon

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 12:30:51 am
Thanks 1 Thump, but this is an internal drive, with SATA cable hook ups. Like I know what SATA is? . Got a few extra plugs in here, but I don't want to screw it up and start some kind of Global Thermal event. :P

If you have available SATA connections on the motherboard, just plug it in.  It should get recognized without any difficulty.

Eamon
Eamon

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 01:04:22 am
Yup Eamon, SATA plugs. The original drive, the one I replaced ,is hooked up to one of four SATA plugs marked PD, it also has a second smaller plug with a yellow band on it. There are two unused SATA plugs on the harness marked PA and PE, the Fourth one is marked PB, and is plugged into the hard drive, which also has a smaller plug hooked to it as well. I tried using the one marked PE, but NG. Do you think that a second plug would be needed to plug into the mother ship, like the other two drives?
Thanks.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 02:48:40 am
 :-X

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 02:49:51 am
When it comes to computers I'm a fantastic plumber !  ;D

Hell yeah - I'm RIGHT there with you ..... I can USE it - but I have a hard time FIXING it ....  :P
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 12:51:32 pm
Does your computer have a user's manual? It would probably tell you where to plug additional optical drives.

About the second, smaller cable, what does the second DVD drive's manual tell you? If you don't have manual for that, see if there's a plug on the drive for a smaller cable, and pick up one of those.

You should also be turning your computer off before you do any of the drive switching.

Jeff

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 02:08:54 pm
Read the section called SATA claus ;)
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 04:24:40 pm
 Thank you boys. No documents with the new drive and the ones for the computer are crap. As mentioned, it looks like I need another 7 pin SATA cable,not provided inside the computer, to go along with the other one that connects to the rear of the drive. I think the missing one is a signal cable, that plugs into the motherboard. I ordered one from NEWEGG, so will shall see.