Author Topic: leaking oil  (Read 3769 times)

alovvorn

• Scooter
on: December 08, 2010, 10:36:08 pm
so guys, I get to work the other day and notice after a little while that I've got a puddle of oil under my C5.  I get to looking and find it's coming out of my airbox.  I ask around and some folks say its just blowback from either a) the oil being over filled or b) the air filter being dirty.
it's a 2009 C5 with 3000 miles on it.  I rode it about 11 miles that morning and had rode it about 40 the day before.  the oil's NOT overfilled, i already checked that, and if the filter wasn't dirty, it is now.  any ideas? 

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:50:06 pm
It's a classic symptom of being over filled, other than that I don't know what to say.
Welcome to the forum, and what color is your C5?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:27:13 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:01:02 pm
As per r80rt, 99.9% of the cause is overfilling, I've been guilty of it myself. Same result. Although it appeared to be the right level, apparently it was over full. Try draining it again and then fill till just over the lower level indicator, that's what I did, no further problems. No major cause to worry, best of luck.

Cheers  :)

alovvorn

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:56:05 pm
It's red, and only slightly dirty.

The sight glass shows that the oil isn't overfilled, and I changed it about 2 months ago.  Could it take that long for it blow back out?

Btw, this has got to be the most civil forum I've ever seen!  Keep it up guys, and thanks!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:05:23 am
Red, good choice! We all know it's the fastest color :D The oil blowing out is a bit odd, what did the oil level look like after it happened? Was it low or normal? I'd bet it's nothing to worry about, I've got over 8000 miles on my red C5 and it's one tough, trouble free little bike.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

alovvorn

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 12:17:15 am
The oil level is still good.  It wasn't a ton of oil that came out, but it did make a noticeable puddle. 

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 12:23:51 am
r80 is wrong, black is best.   ;)

Seriously, a good thing to do is measure how much oil you remove at oil change time.  Not all of it gets out of the motor.  For me its been a little less than 2 qts both times. 

Then put that much new oil into the motor, being sure to soak the filter (I put it in the funnel and pour the oil over it on its way into the motor).
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 12:28:14 am
r80 is wrong, black is best.   ;)

Seriously, a good thing to do is measure how much oil you remove at oil change time.  Not all of it gets out of the motor.  For me its been a little less than 2 qts both times. 

Then put that much new oil into the motor, being sure to soak the filter (I put it in the funnel and pour the oil over it on its way into the motor).
If the oil level is good after then I wouldn't worry about it. (I'm right about the red)
Iron Butt Association

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 12:53:43 am
     This is fairly common. The oil is over filled. On the unit construction you should only fill to just above the bottom of the sight level window. If you fill it to the middle or upper part of the window it will pump into the air box. I had a couple of units do this.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:32:08 am
You are BOTH wrong ..... Classic Green is the fastest ...... especially with NO HANDS!!  ;) Hahahaha!! The oil level does need to be at the lower line cold - and not over the upper line when blazing hot. Any more than that and you revert to the old fashioned oil bath air cleaner ..... ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 07:19:29 am
+1 on the last two posts, we need to define over filled.  The top of the site glass is over filled.  Lots of people who fill to the top get blow out into the air cleaner.  I fill to the mid line mark cold but haven't had any problems.  Try dropping back to there cold, then a little lower if you need to.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 10:58:41 am
No no no all three of you are wrong,,,CHROME is the fastest color  ;D

Welcome aboard alovvorn and congrats on your Bullet
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 11:21:57 am
OK, OK - You are right ...... CHROME is slightly faster than Classic Green ...... due to a lesser coefficient of friction across the surface .......  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 11:50:52 am
+1 on the last two posts, we need to define over filled.  The top of the site glass is over filled.  Lots of people who fill to the top get blow out into the air cleaner.  I fill to the mid line mark cold but haven't had any problems.  Try dropping back to there cold, then a little lower if you need to.

Scott

Spot on Scott. Keep it till mid level of the site glass and you can never go wrong.

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 05:16:03 pm
and the blue G5 is the fastest of all models. ;D