Author Topic: Wheres your kicker pedal?  (Read 4893 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: January 20, 2008, 06:19:23 pm
I guess this is more for the "kick only" guys out there. I noticed if I mounted my kicker arm more upright, say were it lines up with that big through bolt in the frame,starting is much easier. Mine originally was laid back, and because of this I wasn't getting a full stroke . Of course as with everything there is a trade off ,and that is now the lever arm is closer to my ankle while riding. I don't mind that ,but finding a comfy spot that still gives more stroke would be an improvement for anyone. Now that I am stroking the full 180 degrees one kick starts are the norm.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:55:10 pm
I think some folks move em back to get more ankle room.
Both of mine were lined up with the big bolt.
Ditto on the kick starts.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:25:36 am
I kicked mine today from a 'not seated on bike' position.  This allowed me to kick it further through the stroke  and it fired right up.  I'm still working on the kicking it "while straddling the bike" thing.  It looks much cooler.Real bad-asses don't use the estart or stand off to the side of their bikes.  This is a man thing.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:57:58 am
LOL.
I had this dilemma too. If I fitted where it gave a good healthy swing it annoyed the cr*p out of me while riding. The best compromise for me is as I have it in the pic below. I can do the man-on-bike-kick-start-first-time job like this and not have it interfering with my ankle/back of calf muscle etc  ;D

If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 12:57:14 pm
I had a similar boot clearance problem, so after slightly reducing the length of the left hand footrest I fitted the longest tube spacer I could behind the right hand one to provide more clearance between where your foot sits and bottom of the kickstarter.

This allows the kickstarter to be repositioned to give a more efficient swing, without interfering with your foot when at rest.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 03:36:41 pm
Longstrokeclassic.

That sounds like a sensible move and one I shall investigate further. Thanks!  :)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 01:29:23 am
well. at least it's not up my trousers' leg..  ;D

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,892.0.html