Author Topic: OffRoad on a RE  (Read 12138 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 07:36:29 pm
Charro,

I think you should trade the Patrol in for a Gear-up and use that for offroad riding!

Matt

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 08:26:04 pm
Charro,

I think you should trade the Patrol in for a Gear-up and use that for offroad riding!

Matt

Hey Matt, only difference between a Patrol and a Gear Up is the paint job,a shovel and spotlight, to which I have added to my Patrol, and yes I use it offroad. But here in NM the cactus is the enemy. With the sidehack its hard to avoid them at times thus mucho flats. A solo bike is better at times.

Andy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:29:12 pm by Charro »
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 08:07:49 am
Charro,

Bash plate covers sump. Should not interfere with exhaust pipe. Utilizes already existing through bolts. I have the Indian made header pipe and shorty muffler.

-JC
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 09:21:38 pm
Hey guys. If any of you ever modify your bikes for more off-road capabilities I want to see the picks. From all the research I have done their would seem to be no reason why you couldn't have a capable off-roader, within its means of course. They have been used to patrol far-flung borders on rough dirt tracks, have been a competitive off-road bike in trials competitions in the fifties and, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A MILITARY MODEL FITTED WITH AS MANY OF THE TRIALS KIT BITS AS POSSIBLE and still keep it in the military scheme. Perhaps we should all take a look at " royal enfield the legend rides on" and be reminded how people who can't afford to look at they're bikes as fun little pseudo antiques but work horses do with them. That probably came out testy. Wasn't supposed to. sorry. I would love to see a off-road version of one of these new models other than in a catalog.

David R

• Scooter
  • Bullet 65, BMW R75/5 Suzuki DR650
Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 09:27:14 pm
I own both a DR650 and a Bullet Sixty 5 and for off road there is absolutely no comparison!! I agree that the KLR and the DR aren't much to look at and I love riding my Bullet, but even at modest speeds on any but the smoothest roads you will be at a huge disadvantage. Something to consider is that the DR can be lowered. The prices are all nearly the same for new bikes. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the Suzuki.  I know little of the Kaw.

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 09:39:59 pm
Well fellas the die is cast. Gave up trying to find a newer used Military. So I bought a new 07 from the dealer in Santa Fe NM. If your looking he's got one left and he has it marked to move.
Here are the mods I'm having done:

Off Road Handlebars
Stump Guard
On/Off Road Knobby tires
Performance exhaust
7in headlight
Solo Seat
Carrier Rack
Waiting to do any carb work until after its broken in

Hope it works cause the money I'm putting in this project I could have bought a 08 Kawa KLR with change to spare. CMW if your listening that how much I love your bikes.

Andy

2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 09:59:34 pm
I own both a DR650 and a Bullet Sixty 5 and for off road there is absolutely no comparison!! I agree that the KLR and the DR aren't much to look at and I love riding my Bullet, but even at modest speeds on any but the smoothest roads you will be at a huge disadvantage. Something to consider is that the DR can be lowered. The prices are all nearly the same for new bikes. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the Suzuki.  I know little of the Kaw.

Hey David, thanks for the advice. Looked at a new DR fine bike. But I cut my offroad teeth on Triumph, Hodaka, Penton, Rickman Zundapp. So I'm looking fro a old style.

To clarify this is my Idea of offroad. Putt along  dirt roads and trails, stop and look at a cactus, putt some more stop and kick over a rock or two, putt more stop to eat........

So you see I truly believe the RE is more than up to this duty.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 11:04:36 pm
Waiting to do any carb work until after its broken in

What I heard is that the stock jetting is rather lean so some carb work may be in order.
(I actually think that the stock carb is probably  just fine and doesn't need any work beyond proper jetting; unless you put a SMALLER carb on,  but that's another discussion)
Slow speeds, high ambient temp, cast iron barrel, freed-up exhaust and a lean mixture almost guarantees a seized piston.
If the dealer is doing the work, make sure that it's jetted right.

Peter

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 02:01:23 am
Peter, yes I also heard that stock jetting is rather lean. Jets will be looked at to compensate for altitude and free flowing exhaust. By carb work I ment replacing carb with larger Mikuni and removing airbox.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 12:44:46 pm
.... By carb work I ment replacing carb with larger Mikuni and removing airbox.

A larger carb is not a good idea for your application. A smaller carb would make some sense but is still likely unnecessary. For usable low end, large carbs are poison and a mismatch for near stock engines.  Running wide open at 5000 rpm is another matter. The name of your game is optimal mixture at low to medium rpm.
Spend your money on a forged high comp piston - much more rewarding.

As for removing the airbox, if you bolt the filter right to the carb inlet, you will shorten the inlet tract too much and will have a flat spot in the torque curve. Just because everybody takes a photo of this carb setup and thinks it's authentic doesn't make it right. For high speed applications you need a velocity stack and for your off road application you need a piece of radiator tubing (4-5" worked for me) between the carb and filter. That also takes care of the annoying intake noise.
Spend your money on a forged high comp piston - much more rewarding.

To sum up:
Smallish carb + proper intake tract length + decent compression + free exhaust = tractable torque and power for off road plunking

I have a 30mm Amal (came with cycle) and I think it's a tad to large but not too bad.

Peter

[old attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:46:45 pm by Peter »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 03:30:28 pm
  That is just about the best explanation that I have heard concerning filter placement, Peter.  I've always known that my bike ran better with the K & N filter mounted in the airbox rather than directly to the carb now I know why.
Thanks,
Leonard

As for removing the airbox, if you bolt the filter right to the carb inlet, you will shorten the inlet tract too much and will have a flat spot in the torque curve. Just because everybody takes a photo of this carb setup and thinks it's authentic doesn't make it right.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 04:59:59 pm
And while we are at it, there are two more things to consider:

1. For better low end torque a SMALLER diameter downpipe may be advantageous. The smaller tube will increase exhaust gas velocity and therefore exhaust gas scavenging at lower engine speeds. (penalty is again high speed restriction - no issue for mild off road use) Supposedly the Bullet 350 has a smaller downpipe. May be too expensive or too troublesome for just trying out.

2. Running a richer mixture can cause plug fouling when plonking around. Leaning things out or using a higher heat rated plug will help there but increase temps and risk of detonation at high engine loads. Using a projected tip plug allows for running a colder plug with richer mixture without fouling. I use NGK BPR9EIX. Do NOT use a projected tip plug without ping timing your engine properly. You will probably need to decrease advance significantly, at least I had to in my high comp engine.

Just food for thought for creating a torque monster Bullet

Peter
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 06:20:03 pm by Peter »

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 07:03:11 pm
Peter thanks for taking the time to place above post. Only other RE I have ridden is my used 03. It came with 32 Mikuni and open K&N.

Your right smaller would be better for offroad and torquey powerband. Thanks you saved me $300.00 down the road. Come and visit me in New Mexico help me set up this beast, beer and tacos on me. That goes out to everyone intrested in this project.

Thanks
Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 04:49:29 pm
I regret having to place this project on hold for now. The price of the new bike plus modifications was getting out of control. For the price I can buy a very fine adventure bike.

But not giving up on dream, will look for good used Military and start over. Anyone know of one?

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up

LJRead

Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 06:06:30 pm
You know, Charro, not getting that Military might be a blessing in disguise.  I uncrated my bike in the driveway and had to push it up to the shop, and even though R E  is no heavy weight, as bikes go, it seemed awfully heavy at that time.  Something about 150 pounds lighter and with the same sort of power might make life easier out in those hills and gullies.  Sure, you will normally have power, but there may be times when you will need to get off and push.   Just a thought, what do you think?