Author Topic: OffRoad on a RE  (Read 12144 times)

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 07:06:57 pm
You know, Charro, not getting that Military might be a blessing in disguise.  I uncrated my bike in the driveway and had to push it up to the shop, and even though R E  is no heavy weight, as bikes go, it seemed awfully heavy at that time.  Something about 150 pounds lighter and with the same sort of power might make life easier out in those hills and gullies.  Sure, you will normally have power, but there may be times when you will need to get off and push.   Just a thought, what do you think?

LJ, I think your right on this one. Weight and power are one thing, handling if the rough is the other.

Just for poops and giggles I took my 03 Bullet in the rough last Friday. Handled semi hard dirt roads ok, but was spooky in the soft stuff, got stuck in the deep sand. Had to get off a push, which is ok thats part of the adventure.

I can handle the low power, but the handling of stock suspension, tires, and wheel size is just bad in the soft sand. I was already at 6K with my other mods, these would have added 500-1000 more.

I think I will look for a cheaper RE doner bike and put a CMW modified trials kit on it. That might be the answer for a RE diirtbike.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

LJRead

Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 09:32:06 pm
Hey amigo, there were a couple R E's probably unregistrable, new, in the Seattle area for around $2000 each that might make a good start.  They were 350 cc. Under Campfire talk you can check out the site on problems importing a bike from India, or maybe contact Prof_Stack about them, he lives close to the guy selling them.  But anyway, I've seen some good deals for things like salvage cases on Ebay, so if your patient, something will turn up.   

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 05:26:53 pm
Living here in Seattle I saw on craigslist a little while ago a couple of RE's that had been imported and were now on sale for a very good price. I have a feeling that person didn't do their research and has got unregisterable bikes. If one was looking for off-road only then this might make sense but how much would it cost to send something like this across the country? Might be more economical to just wait for a nearby donor bike.

LJRead

Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 05:50:03 pm

I don't know how he managed it, but my shipping agent in New York is shipping an unregister able 2002 Machismo all the way across the U.S. for $500; and this is in Customs bond.  From your area to New Mexico might be a similar amount or possibly less.

If the bikes somehow got through Customs but can't be registered, then they could also be parted out.