Author Topic: Economy Bullet Lights  (Read 3107 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: February 12, 2008, 02:51:33 am
I just got a set of these today.  Thanks for the very fast servicve CMW!!!   :)

I won't be able to mount them in place of the stock turn signals until next week sometime.  does anyone have these on thier bike?  Any Pics??

I'd just like to know what to expect from these, whatever - they have to look better than stock.

:)
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:13:19 am
Just sold my stock ones on eBay inc the flasher unit for the equivalent of about 42 dollars. My replacements were only 20 (with a free 21w flasher unit from a mate) so I'm up on the deal!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 12:21:07 pm
I just got a set of these today.  Thanks for the very fast servicve CMW!!!   :)

I won't be able to mount them in place of the stock turn signals until next week sometime.  does anyone have these on thier bike?  Any Pics??

I'd just like to know what to expect from these, whatever - they have to look better than stock.

:)

I just replaced my stock signals with them. Go to:

http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/Conversion.htm

Matt

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 02:29:47 pm
Good looking changed you're making.  Yes, the smaller lights are much better.

Thanks for the pics.
Fred
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

LJRead

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:44:15 pm
I'm going LEDs on my turn signals.  There were some neat ones on Ebay (under motorcycle tail lights) with aluminum housings and various shapes, but I am going with some inexpensive 2 inch round ones that were advertised the same place.  I'm going to fabricate housing out of wood, the rear turn signals combined with a tail light housing that will include a license plate holder and a 1960s Triumph tail light.  LEDs make sense here in the tropics and wood does as well, because I can suit myself whether to make it look like wood or give it a flat black metal look.  The wood will be epoxy coated before being painted or varnished.

LotusMan mentioned having sticky LEDs due to their low resistance, maybe, and thus incompatibility with flasher relay switch (not to be confused with flashers, the unit being the module that makes turn signals flash).  Another place on Ebay sells a flasher relay switches called "Blinker Winker Flasher relay switch" claimed to be compatible with both incandescents and LEDs.  I ordered one of those.  The total outlay for my new turn signals, plus the Triumph tail light and the relay switch came to about $50 plus a god-awful amount of postage.  The wooden parts will be from leftover scraps I always have available.  I know it sounds Mickey-Mouse, but wait and see.

I'm not overly impressed with the lighting fixtures I've seen on bikes as many seem tinny and out of place.  They mostly seem like an afterthought. The one on my bike is a rusted piece of crap which is tolerated until something better is produced.  With modern materials like carbon fiber, and given the volume possible, it is an area I might have explored with a view toward manufacture, were I still in the U.S.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 05:16:13 pm
That triumph taillight you are getting. Is it the cats head! Looks like the cat's face on the old black cat firecrackers? I saw one on ebay at the Steadfast Cycles store ( sorry CMW! ) and was very curious as to whether I could fit it to my deluxe without much trouble. 

LJRead

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 05:42:39 pm

No, the one I got is from an outfit in So. Calif. that specializes in Triumph parts and is a 1960s plain type.  It is much like the CMW one sold for the Cafe Racer setup, almost identical.  I'm going to make the holding bracket much like the rear light fixture sold by CMW for their trails setup, but I will have ear-like extensions out to either side for the LED turn signals.  I'll make them out of laminated wood, and they will look metal when complete, but without the problems of metal.

The economy turn signals are nice and the way Thumper has mounted them, close to the bike, is very good, and if my bike were of a Classic nature I would have gone that way. I like something a little more refined ands subtle than the stock turn signals.