Author Topic: Hope for Change.... Better MPG?  (Read 7164 times)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 12:47:03 am

Glow fuel is expensive,,,I was curious about the principals of R.C. diesels like this
http://dieselrc.com/
but with design technology scaled up to say 250cc  ;D just for the fun of it.
Of course the old RC diesel has been around a while with almost no power. But on the newer engines like the OS they showed, would be interesting how performance is.
Oh yes, scale it up but don't stop at 250 cc, er ah 500 cc ring any bells?

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 02:34:19 am
Electric vehicles are all well and good in theory but poor in practice.

Charge for 8 hours to drive up to 2 hours then charge for 8 more,,,,,,

ll pass on iEPV's until a battery pack is invented that is the same size and weight as five gallons of gas and re charges as almost as fats as a fill up gives the same range.

And misinformation like that wont help.

You invented google --use it.

The Israel stations change your battery pack in 55 seconds for a small fee. Quicker than you can stuff 55 gallons of inflamable gas in your hummer.

You don't own the battery you rent it, you can recharge at home,  like a propane bottle, fil it or swop it.

Again google it,

Electric Taxi in Germany 100 days.

Please,-- come on,  try a bit better than this,  You will be last, theres no doubt about it.

Charge 8 hours for 2 --gimme a break.

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 03:48:13 am
What is great is seeing what is happening with the TT Zero races at the Isle of Man.  It's just a start but those front running bikes do pretty darn well.  Racing motivates the appeal of pushing technology and it is moving quicker and quicker each year.  I think performance and efficiency will collide sooner than later.  I certainly don't think anyone will stop caring abut gas bikes but I wouldn't mind a Light Cycle either.

With that said I wish the cabs in my town were all electric running with top speeds of 25 mph.  And driven by robots.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 03:49:26 am

Please,-- come on,  try a bit better than this,  You will be last, theres no doubt about it.

Oh yes , now I remember I'm listing to the man who believes in fairy tales......random explosions from thin air, making live worms in boiling sea water. Now a 100 day electric taxi, hm mm?
Are you seeing any pink elephants?

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 04:11:06 am
clamp..  i use eletrictics for lights..  not getting down the road...  the usa has a few small communties that could use eletrics,,  abiet NE &wC...  but by and large...  electric is useless as far as the open range we have here... small islands..  such as ..  might benifit where everything is within walking distance and we don't all live on a boat where we can pull up anchor and go xsomewhere else :P

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 05:34:32 am

You invented google --use it.

The Israel stations change your battery pack in 55 seconds for a small fee. Quicker than you can stuff 55 gallons of inflamable gas in your hummer.

You don't own the battery you rent it, you can recharge at home,  like a propane bottle, fil it or swop it.

Again google it,

Please,-- come on,  try a bit better than this,  You will be last, theres no doubt about it.

I'll pass on EPV's until a battery pack is invented that is the same size and weight as five gallons of gas and re charges as almost as fast as a fill up and gives the same range.

Among other things Its also about energy density and cost effectiveness.

"The next big break in EPV's is right around the corner."

I remember being told that in a news report in 1973.

Incremental increases in efficiency have happened since then but no quantum leaps.

They also told us there wasn't enough oil to make it to the year 2000 and by then we would live in a utopia and drive flying cars.

I do look forward to the day when a 60 second charge will power my vehicle for 450 miles of driving with my kids on board especially if that vehicle costs no more than its petrol powered counterpart.

Bonus points if the method of generating the electricity to charge the vehicle pollutes less than the current methods of generating said electrons.

Electric taxi ,,100 days.

55 second charge as effective as 55 gallons of petrol ?

Don't believe everything you read would be my advice.

Please do the math.
 My truck averages 20 MPG multiply that by 55 gallons for 1,000 miles of operation.
My bullet returns 65 MPG

Whoever claims that had better have some independent testing done to back up their claim or else some folks will suspect the claimant to be a nutter first class needing his meds adjusted a bit.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:44:36 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 01:52:59 pm
And there lies the problem, inability to accept something new.

Inability to understand -Inability to learn or even look and listen.

Its not me  it was on your TV "Interview with Charlie Rose"  he is American or is TV  the devils creation.

Hey-  ---turn the Simpsons off and tune into some learning channels.

I have Morgan Freeman on Tv now explaining where life came from,--God is not in it.

It does'nt matter if you pull out of your economic crisis your too dumb to survive anyway.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:56:33 pm by clamp »
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 03:32:30 pm
There in lies the problem inability to accept any opinion contrary to the preconceived notion.

Inability to see view point other than ones own, inability to consider the possibility even that one may be in possession of incorrect information.

Television is entertainment and editorial opinion for the most part.

Sitcoms do nothing to better mankind, only entertain. Learn how to think or accept what to think the choice is yours.

Wise is the man who does his own thinking rather than let a paid actor do it for him.

History is full of example of boom and bust as well as long lines of survivors else the line wouldn't be long now would it ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 05:49:34 pm
I like charlie Rose too...One of the better shows indeed....I think the show Frontline can be interesting too as it seems to get at the core of some issues...
Oh Magoo you done it again

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 07:30:15 pm
You are trusting a Hollywood actor? They make their livings selling what ever point of view their agents and directors and the latest polital correct dogma tell them to.

Hollywood is its own unrealistic weird bubble.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 07:39:51 pm
You are trusting a Hollywood actor? They make their livings selling what ever point of view their agents and directors and the latest polital correct dogma tell them to.

+1

Besides, Bollywood is far more entertaining!   ;D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 08:51:23 pm
Alternative fuels don't appeal to me.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:00:51 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 10:48:31 pm
I don't think Clamp likes the U.S.A.?  ERC   :'(
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 02:38:38 pm

He's never been an Hollywood actor. He's been mostly a journalist. I first met him in Fort Worth, Tx. in the mid 70's where I worked as a broadcast engineer. There he started "The Charlie Rose Show". Pretty nice guy, but the small time was not in his future.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 03:17:03 pm
I don't care much about new stuff.Ride an Enfield motorcycle.Drive old Cadillacs and Chryslers.Old Dodge truck.Shoot old guns.Thinking I mite get a place with no electrical hookup.Got a big barn,'bout all I care about.Amish.Not me,the place.I do not expect to see the electric car go anywhere.Probly wrong,way it usually goes.