Author Topic: Withdrawal symptoms  (Read 14086 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 03:42:07 pm
I think you will find that ACF 50 originates in Canada. I believe the airforce there use it on there flying machines.
I can't praise it enough.
I lathered it all over my bike, even over the old summer road dirt. (Didn't have time to clean it). Will just wash it all off come spring, with Muck Off, and re-applie.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 07:30:47 pm
Not sure of its composition Singh, smells a lot like lanolin though.

@Ray and @Marrtyn:

Thanks for all that info.  I have found MSDS - material safety data sheet - that gives some info on its composition - see link below.

Ray's description of 'smells a lot like lanolin' is very interesting, because it may very well have some of that in it.  MSDS of ACF-50 states "it is a proprietary blend of ultra pure synthetic and organic hydrocarbons".  It seems that the description is purposely vague and general.  A common example of hydrocarbons widely used as lubricant and coating material to protect from moisture is Vaseline - which is refined white petrolatum. ACF-50 may have crude petrolatum which also has some smell.

Lanolin is a mixture of hydrocarbons, long chain fatty alcohols and esters - waxy mixture.  Both these ingredients would be fairly non-toxic, water repellant, sticky, leave a coating that will last long time, non-reactive so that they can mix with anything and reasonably safe, can also act as lubricants - all the characteristics that are attributed to ACF-50.

But ACF-50 may be more than these ingredients, because it has some synthetic hydrocarbons - long chain carbon-hydrogen compounds which are not as sticky, inert, and hydrophobic - water repellant.  Low molecular weight ones will be smooth, and leave a more flexible film, and safe to use on a wide variety of materials.

http://www.corrosion-control.com/media/cms/pdf/acf-aerosol-usa.pdf
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:43:42 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 08:20:01 pm
 Ths may be a stupid question, but could you cut vaseline with something to make it thinner and sprayable? Mineral oil?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 09:06:55 pm
What about just spraying down with WD-40?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 10:06:30 pm
What about just spraying down with WD-40?
Yea, that's what I was thinking Dan. Maybe It won't hold up as well outside as this other stuff though? And if you mix vaseline with mineral oil, wouldn't' that just be ,,,.. Oh forget it  ::)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 10:41:23 pm

Corrosion Preventive Compounds of various types have been in use in Aviation since Wilbur and Orville took flight.
Here's just one link returned from a Google search, there are many more than whats listed on the link.
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Inhibitors/CPCs.htm

I'll bet the boating industry has some too
No matter where you go, there, you are.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 04:34:28 am
Ths may be a stupid question, but could you cut vaseline with something to make it thinner and sprayable? Mineral oil?

@GHG:

It is not a stupid question  ;).  The whole science is based on asking this type of questions.  What, When, Where, Who, (w)how !  

Your question is - What happens if vaseline is mixed with mineral oil ?
Your other question is - How can vaseline be made thinner and sprayable ?

Vaseline itself is a mixture of many different types and lengths of non-straight chain hydrocarbons of series CnH2n+2 and high boiling liquid hydrocarbons.  It is insoluble in water but is solube in benzene, chloroform and ether.  Dissolving in these strong organic solvents will make it a solution.

To mix with mineral oil - first warm and melt vaseline in a bowl, add warm mineral oil and keep stirring to mix, then let it cool.  It will become a fatty liquid whose consistency will depend on the proportions of the two used.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 04:41:39 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 04:56:29 am
  Pretty cool singh, see that, I know some science stuff ::)
I can see it now brother " Singh's Super cycle Saver"  ;)
Both ingredients are pretty cheap, thin it enough to put in a spray bottle?
May be a PIA to wash off in the spring though?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 11:55:36 am
Get  FLUID FILM! It's basically spry lanolin - it WILL wash off in the spring and it coats like nobody's business and stays on. I think it works pretty dandy! All my spoke nipples still move ......  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 03:36:34 pm
Your question is - What happens if vaseline is mixed with mineral oil ?
Your other question is - How can vaseline be made thinner and sprayable ?

Isn't that napalm?  Does that go with this thread?  
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,9080.0.html

Get  FLUID FILM! It's basically spry lanolin - it WILL wash off in the spring and it coats like nobody's business and stays on. I think it works pretty dandy! All my spoke nipples still move ......  ::)

Did Bob just tell us to put lanolin on our nipples?

Man, and I thought I was bored with too much time on my hands due to the weather.  This forum is getting cabin fever fast! ;)

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 03:47:57 pm
 :D  :D  :D..... :P...... :D :D :D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 04:00:13 pm
Get  FLUID FILM! It's basically spry lanolin - it WILL wash off in the spring and it coats like nobody's business and stays on. I think it works pretty dandy! All my spoke nipples still move ......  ::)
This Stuff here ScooterBob?
http://www.motorcycleworld.info/enthusiasts/catalog_item_detail.asp?catalog=5701&levelcode=62523&product=869597&cattype=&ProductCategoryCode=

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 09:57:15 pm
That's the stuff! If you call them directly - they will send you a sample ..... and I spray it on the SPOKE nipples .....  ::) ....... although it IS pretty slick before it dries ......  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: December 10, 2010, 03:18:46 pm
Man, and I thought I was bored with too much time on my hands due to the weather.  
This forum is getting cabin fever fast! ;)
@Scott:

I look at my motorcycle parked outside daily with a hope that may be today I will ride.  I had taken out the battery and charged it.  Thought ah, ha, now I am ready to go.  As I was putting the battery back in the bike, the wind and cold practically froze my fingers within a few minutes.  I had to rush back inside and think again - not today.  Mind you this 'not-today' routine - let me ride today, go out to check, come back in freezing - happens everyday  :D.

ACF 50 IN US

Recommendations of Ray and Marrtyn led me to do some search to find ACF-50 in US.  None of the motorcycle dealers or hardware stores in my area have ever heard about it.  Not seen any ad or news in motorcycle magazine or parts / accessories dealers. It is perhaps more well known in aircraft industry.

It is available from a store in California - http://www.corrosion-control.com/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 03:49:17 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #44 on: December 10, 2010, 03:31:52 pm
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250