Author Topic: Withdrawal symptoms  (Read 14088 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 05:04:06 pm
Freezing north easterly winds here - Siberia comes to Devon! I drove to Cornwall early sunday morning and the outside temp gauge never got above minus 4.5. The van heater's busted so I was well wrapped, even so it wasn't a fun drive. And I saw a motorcyclist going the other way - now that's a tougher rider than this old fair weather boy!
I haven't been on the bike for about four weeks, and not much prospect for this week either. I put the dust cover on today, as the bike has to share the garage with the winter wood & coal stash, but I did it with a sad resignation. The roads are dry in spite of freezing temperatures - many parts of the country are under snow - and I'm hanging onto hopes of some winter riding later.
But yeah...... I'm really missing it.... :(

@Will:

This morning I was reading news on the BBC website and there it was - 'Snow blankets Europe' with pictures of trucks (lorries for you  ;)) stuck on the highways from Manchester in the North to Kent in the south of England.  I thought about you and how were you coping with this weather.

It is no fun in my neck of the woods either.  Today we have non-stop heavy rain with winds blowing upto 40 miles per hour (64 kph) - enough to break tree branches.  It will be followed by cold front and below freezing temperatures by tomorrow.

I did polish the bike earlier and put a cover on it.  Since it is parked outside (no garage), its wheels and some other parts are getting drenched with rain  :(.  

-  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11887140
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:23:28 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 06:23:07 pm

I did polish the bike earlier and put a cover on it.  Since it is parked outside (no garage), its wheels and some other parts are getting drenched with rain

How about something like this Singh? But is still might blow away on a day like today :D
http://www.motoshell.com/
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 06:23:52 pm
We seem to be getting fiercer winters than we're used to. South Devon has escaped the snow so far, apart from Dartmoor where it always snows in winter, but there's plenty up and down the country, and more to come apparently... The usual traffic chaos....
Sory to hear you're getting a beating too Singh - especially with your bike outside.

GHG has posted a good option   ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:26:03 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 10:55:29 pm
How about something like this Singh? But is still might blow away on a day like today :D
http://www.motoshell.com/

@GHG

That is a very interesting shell to cover motorcycle.  One problem with any cover is that as the water on the ground evaporates, moisture builds up under the cover.  The motoshell (and my cover) has small opening to let out a little bit of air.  But in cold weather the moisture droplets remain stuck to metal under the cover.  Over a period of time the metal starts to rust.  It has happened to my bike already. 

To get rid off the moisture, you need a heater under the cover ......, an electric cable ....., and a wall .....  eventually a garage  :D.  And yeah, the wind ..... it may blow the whole thing off !

But I do like the ingenuity of making something like that.  I have bookmarked that website as one of the options to protect the bike.  Good find.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 11:40:29 pm
 Yea good points Singh. How about a small enclosed trailer, with a ramp type rear door?  A 5x8 should be more then enough, and give you a little extra room for doing maintenance and storage. It can also be pulled by a small car. You should be able to pick up a second hand one for a reasonable price. It might be a problem if you live in a complex or development though? I have one myself, that I use when the garage is full. It's great to have for break downs to, Both yours and your Buddy's  ::)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 11:49:42 pm

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 11:57:17 pm
You should be able to pick up a second hand one for a reasonable price. It might be a problem if you live in a complex or development though? I have one myself, that I use when the garage is full.

The main probem is that I live in a complex that has a little parking lot for cars.  When it snows, we have to move our cars to plough the snow.  Even if it does not snow, we cannot leave any 'structure' in the parking lot.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 12:00:13 am
Yup, singh is right.  When I lived in SoCal I had a cover and I started to get surface runst in a few spots from it.  It rains, moisture everywhere inside and out, then the sun comes out and turns the cover into a wet sauna slowly steaming your bike,

Still, with the cover gorilla posted you could put some small openings front, rear and sides at ground level, then a couple scoop covered vents on top like they use on boat covers.  It gets you some ventilation and keeps the worst of the wet off the bike.  Of course as soon as you start stacking all the improvements up you realize what you want is a real garage.  

Maybe it's better to just wax the bike really well, touch up small rust as soon as you see it, and just replace the soft parts every couple of years as the rain eats them.  I dunno, I'm spoiled.  I have a real garage now and free covered parking at work.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 08:36:35 am
Singh - do you have an accessible back yard where you could put a wooden shed? A wooden shed (with wood floor) is the ideal structure for a bike garage - no condensation problems as with metal storage or plasticised covers - whatever the weather. Just add a simple ramp to get the bike in & out.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 10:18:51 am
Parking in the living room could be an option.

Looks nice too  8)

( Note to self;  Self, If you ever get the chance to do that again, empty, dry and then purge the damn gas tank with Co2 before pushing it inside )
No matter where you go, there, you are.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 07:10:25 pm
no parking space in my living room  as the artillery piece takes up all the room plus too many bikes.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

WKinNJ

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 05:06:39 am
I don't see how you guys up north do it, it must be terrible. ...

Switch to three wheels (URAL with 2WD for bad weather) and heated gear. 

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 06:12:44 am
All of my bikes have been kept outside. Not had problems with rust. I spray everything,  except the front brake & tyres :), once a month with ACF50, and never put the cover on if the bike is already wet. Cannot praise ACF50 highly enough

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 06:20:17 am
All of my bikes have been kept outside. Not had problems with rust. I spray everything,  except the front brake & tyres :), once a month with ACF50, and never put the cover on if the bike is already wet. Cannot praise ACF50 highly enough

Ray:

I have heard a lot of good words for ACF50.  You must be in UK.  I have not seen it here in the USA.  Do you know what is its equivalent in USA ? What is its composition ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 08:31:47 am
Not sure of its composition Singh, smells a lot like lanolin though.

Have a look here: http://www.acf-50.co.uk/

There is an Ontario phone number on the can (905)-564-0018, maybe they can point you towards a US supplier?

Regards,

Ray
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:37:45 am by raycopper »
2010 C5 - Red