Author Topic: A question about wheel balancing...  (Read 1980 times)

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
on: November 29, 2010, 11:33:45 pm
Ok, so while I am waffling about whether to sell my enfield (waffle waffle waffle), I have been doing a little maintainence.

To that end, I made my first attempt at retubing a flat tire ever in my life. Done lots of things with bikes, but somehow that one I always left to professionals. But, since I want to be a long haul independent rider, I figured I oughta learn. Successfully used the tire irons and whatnot, got the tube on, and successfully pinch a hole in it while remounting the tire.

So...gave up and ran it to the local hondakawazuki shop to have them do it. 2 hours later, pretty fully inflated tire.

Figured while the tire was off, I would tighten the drive side as the chain was slack. The drop the wheel on, align the non drive side, and go. However, I now have a serious wobble when riding. Have been playing with alignment adjustments all afternoon to no success.

Is it possible that the wheel needs balanced? Should I just pop it off and run it back to the shop and ask them to check the balance?

I only ask, because it seems people do roadside changes like this all the time and just ride on. What have I done wrong? (I have read extensively the other posts on alignment, and have followed all their suggestions...)

Thanks all

-Milk
-Milk

2003 Royal Enfield Military
2009 Genuine Blackjack - MrsMilk's ride

I'm trying to make my Enfield an adventure machine:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

Ever want to ride a scooter to Canada??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259

Royal Rider

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:15:21 am
If it's a "serious wobble" when riding - and I would assume not at any really high speeds, then you probably just have an alignment problem or maybe the wheel is not true after the dealer got through with it.  Perhaps the spokes need adjustment.  But I'd tend to think it's just alignment given what you've said so far.  Doubt any balance problem would show up except at significant speeds and then only as a serious vibration rather than a real wobble.

And what might this critter be that yer waffling about?
2004 Bullet Sixty5
(RE)Livin' the Dream!

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:08:26 am
If you assembled the wheel properly on the bike and checked the alignment. They may have bent the rim when they changed the tire.I'd take it back and have them check it.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 03:17:54 am
Milk,

If yer not mechanically inclined the Enfield is probably not the best motosickle to be owning. An old indestructible Honda or something would probably be a better fit.

Your gonna need certain tools and jigs to keep this beast breathing. A wheel truing jig of some sort will iron the balance problem out. You can check the side to side rim runout, out of roundness, and balance with a proper jig.

You have to decide whether investing in tools/jigs or supporting the local bike shop is the way to go....

Good Luck,

Ed
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:26:44 am
Eh,  they probably were so aggravated by the hard rear tire they just did not seat it well or left a fold in the tube.    Deflate the tire with the bike on the center stand and message it a bit..Refill it then deflate and repeat once or twice.   Bet it clears the issue.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:36:40 am
Is it wobbling (weaving side to side) or bouncing?  If it's bouncing, either it needs to be balanced, or the tire bead isn't seated on the rim.  Look closely as you slowly rotate the wheel and make sure the seam on the sides (both sides) is equidistant to the rim adge.

If it didn't wobble before, but does now, I'm guessing the wheel isn't properly aligned.  I use a long straightedge on bricks to check alignment- and the front rim will be a little farther away from the straight edge than the rear.   Using the clam shells to align wheels is not -well... hardly efficascious.  You must use a straight edge to check it.
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 03:53:29 am
I got these tire levers from Vince's Motorcycle Store for a under four bucks each !!
http://www.emgo.com/main_layout.html
Drop forged Cro-Mo-V steel and they don't pinch the tubes like factory levers do.
 Any good cycle shop can get them if they don't have em on hand.

Here's a link to the low buck laser alignment thingy
 http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/wheelalignment.html

No matter where you go, there, you are.

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 04:51:50 am
Ok, thanks all for the replies.

I will try the deflate/reinflate thing a few times and see how it goes. And will very carefully double check my alignment.

Will keep you guys posted. Thanks much for the help.

Oh, and Royal Rider...I had posted a few weeks ago that I had emphatically decided to sell my Enfield...but now am waffling on the decision. I'm just not sure....it's rare for me to not be able to make up my mind, but this is a quandry for me.

Ok, take care...
-Milk

2003 Royal Enfield Military
2009 Genuine Blackjack - MrsMilk's ride

I'm trying to make my Enfield an adventure machine:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

Ever want to ride a scooter to Canada??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 08:58:40 am
Milk,

I think your military has become a member of the family  ;)
Doubtless one of your future grandchildren would love to be the custodian of the bike grandpa rode  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 02:30:53 pm
C'mon,Noisy,it is US not the RE you will really miss.Set something heavy that will not move about 1/4 inch from the tire with the RE on center stand and rotate the wheel to see if the tire moves away from or closer to the object as it rotates.If you see more than 1/8 you mite have a problem.There are lines in the tire at the rim area for checking whether the tire is seated on the rim properly.It takes a little skill developement to get the wheel alignment-chain adjustment thing rite.Do not try to ride faster when the wobble starts.

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 02:43:10 pm
deflate your tyre and re inflate to a high reading (60-80 psi ) deflate and then reinflate to the correct reading , your tyre (brit spelling)_ will not be seated

you should be able to see this , when the bike is on the centre stand , and you spin the wheel ,

ubless the hondazappy place has buckled your wheel?

balencing on a bullet is not realy needed , especia;;y at the back
arthritis hurts at my age!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 02:46:46 pm
Palsy kicking in Freddy?
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 02:57:52 pm
Palsy kicking in Freddy?

sorry , no understandy?
arthritis hurts at my age!

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 02:37:56 am
It's either rim or balancing.  If your not sure, ask the shop to tell you which it is then fix it yourself just for the experience.  Practice, practice, practice.  :D

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 03:51:34 pm
Remember as kids we would put our bikes upside down and spin the front tire fast and look and see if we were offcenter and try to adjust it out...Try adjusting/balancing mower blades after putting a new edge on them...I do it the best I can with a long  nail that I have in wall  inside the  garage...I would think a proper change of a tire/tube would not translate into a total wheel balance...Hitting a curb or relacing with new spokes would probably require making a wood  jig to refine your handiwork...The again I would probably get lazy and see if a bicycle shop can do it especially for the front tire..My garage has enough crap in it..
Oh Magoo you done it again