Menu

Members Rides

New Iron! '77 xlh

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

26 Guests, 1 User
MotorDan
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2017, 03:08:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oilskin fowl weater riding gear review  (Read 1715 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Oilskin fowl weater riding gear review
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:52:37 pm »
 Back in March I picked up a Kakadu Traders nelson jacket and Outback pants.
 They are patterned along the lines of Belstaff and Barbour and constructed of 10 oz. cloth.

FWIW;

The Nelson jackets lower front pockets and the zippers storm flap use Velcro closure instead snaps to eliminate scratching the fuel tank.

The Nelson's collar is dead soft glove leather lined, more durable I think than Corduroy but different.

The map pocket is slanted as found on Barbour A7 but not as large.

The Outback pants waist tabs could use a heavy canvas "grip extension" of about a half inch long to make improve the grip when wearing heavy gloves.

The real litmus test of waterproofedness came when riding seven hours in torrential downpour around the Olympia WA area.

With a layer of polypro on underneath, around hour five my butt began to get slightly damp, but not wet, where it contacted the Bullets seat otherwise, dry and comfortable.

That beats the Goretex suit it replaced by two and a half hours and I never get clammy.

My riding buddy has not needed to reproof his Belstaff Trail master gear in the going on nine years he has been using and abusing it so I expect similar results in the long haul.

Cleaning method is "hose it off and hang it up".

I have found a seamstress willing to incorporate the modifications I would like after our wet season is over.

FWIW
-Ice

I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Re: Oilskin fowl weater riding gear review
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:04:47 am »
Good review, thanks Ice.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 01:24:54 am »
 Update:

The zipper has worn out and needs replacement.  Not unexpected as this is also my off bike daily wear jacket three seasons out of four.

Point of clarification: The thread title is misleading. The garments are waxed cotton.
 In my house oilskin is a slang term for any treated cloth, not as a definitive.
I apologize to those who were misled.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:32:30 am by Ice »
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 04:28:28 am »
Update:

The zipper has worn out and needs replacement.  Not unexpected as this is also my off bike daily wear jacket three seasons out of four.

Point of clarification: The thread title is misleading. The garments are waxed cotton.
Not misleading, I have generations of deep sea fishermen in my family. The old guys told me their forefathers made smocks from old cotton sailcloth and steeped them in a barrel of lard and linseed oil mix to make them waterproof, hence oilskin. It was a common practice, and part of the evolution of what we wear today. Smelly I would imagine. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 04:42:17 am by malky »
Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 03:36:11 pm »
I've been using this stuff for reproofing. Does your jacket and your boots.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 06:52:36 am »

I was mislead - I thought these garments were for protection against bird strikes...

Aw, c'mon Ice - you know we love ya', but someone had to do it...  ;)
My other wheels:www.midcoast.com/~beechhil/vielle My ISP stopped hosting all user websites, deleted them without notice!  >:( grrr...

Gremlin heads for the hills…

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 07:15:46 am »
Don't be cruel. :)
You should see what my, smell check comes up with :D
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 04:01:31 pm »
I was mislead - I thought these garments were for protection against bird strikes...

Aw, c'mon Ice - you know we love ya', but someone had to do it...  ;)
You're slow. Duckswax. duck=fowl, waterproof your fowl jacket. Or am I being too oblique. :)
Seriously the stuff does waterproof boots and cotton jackets, and it smells nice.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 04:13:16 pm »
You're slow. Duckswax. duck=fowl, waterproof your fowl jacket. Or am I being too oblique. :)

Malky - Ice started this thread in November of 2010... you've been holding on to that joke for five years?  :o

And you're calling me slow?  ;)   ;D

Seriously the stuff does waterproof boots and cotton jackets, and it smells nice.

Probably better than the lard/linseed oil concoction...  ;)
My other wheels:www.midcoast.com/~beechhil/vielle My ISP stopped hosting all user websites, deleted them without notice!  >:( grrr...

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 04:18:06 pm »

[/quote]
What are you saying about my jacket eh?
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 04:58:14 pm »

What are you saying about my jacket eh?

Wow!  I was going to try a witty comeback, but I think I'll let that pic be the last word...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 05:44:55 pm »
Admittedly there is a bit of word play going on with the title, foul weather / fowl weather  :D

REA #136

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 11:30:14 pm »
 The zipper of my Jacket has gotten so bad it no longer functions at all. Pants are holding up quite nicely. Time for a ride down to the US Importer for a new one. Might as well stop for lunch in Portland while at it. Second half of August I think.

I'll neither confirm nor deny that any references to "stunt double" or "smartphone carrying nylon clad weirdo" have anything to do with this.

REA #136