Author Topic: Magnetic drain plugs  (Read 3810 times)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 18, 2008, 09:46:12 pm
Do the magnetic drain plugs sold by our host offer any real benefit beyond that of the filter itself. And taken further, would not that benefit be most apparent during initial engine run-in when ferrous particles are most abundant? Does any one here have experience with these?  Thanks, Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

eae0164

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:00:12 pm
 Magnetic drain plugs are always a good idea, as any metal that is floating around in the oil (unless it aluminum) should be captured by the magnets. You are right that there will be more floating around during break in, but general wear will cause fine particles to always be present. I'd rather catch as much as possible, in as many places as possible, to keep from wearing the internals any more than I have too. I have a magnetic drain plug, and a subsequent rare earth magnet on the outside of my oil pan on my 92 Toyota Celica, and it just turned 290,000 miles today, with no work other than one head gasket ever having to be done on the block. My oil is always golden in color at each oil change (every 3,000, or less). I know that I always have a little fine particles on the plug, and a little near the other magnet. Better there than thru the engine !!
2000 RE Military model

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:03:06 pm
I have one installed. I installed it when I first got the bike to see how much wear was going on internally. It was interesting to see how much the wear dropped off as the mileage rose. I wasn't really installing it to prevent shapnel from circulating around the engine, as I changed the oil with ludicrous frequency in the early stages of break in. I have OCD, what can I tell you.

It does give you an indication of when the wear of internal parts is winding down. I don't think it provides any additional safety above the oil filter though.

Hope that helps
Paul
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 11:34:55 pm
eae0164, and Bandit, Yep, that pretty much answers my question. Thanks guys :)  Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 01:44:26 am
Another member posted this awhile back -

Buy a pack of rare earth magnets at Radio Shack (or some such store).  Then just stick them on all the drain plugs under the engine and transmission.

As long as the drain plugs are clean, the magnets will stay in place on the outside of the plugs.

BTW - these will also work as a traffic light tripper.  So two functions in one.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 02:32:25 am
HEY Foggy-Augie, Thanks for your reply. Rare earth magnet; I had to look that one up!  Do i understand you to mean that these will withstand the vibration whilst sufficiently magnetizing the plugs themselves? Thanks again, Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:30:37 am
Well having read the post on here re. these magnets a while back I did this mod too. They seem to have stayed put so far!!!!  ;)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 02:47:06 pm
A free source of mucho powerful magnets are found in computer hard drives. Any computer shop would donate defective drives.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

prof_stack

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 05:39:59 pm
A free source of mucho powerful magnets are found in computer hard drives. Any computer shop would donate defective drives.
Now THAT'S a great suggestion!  Might try it out today.

My Buell has magnetic plugs and each oil and primary change always brings metallic stuff clinging to the plugs.  Yeah, they're worth it.