Author Topic: What are you doing this Winter?  (Read 8321 times)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
on: November 26, 2010, 09:14:40 pm
This time last year I started learning about appliance repair I'm, still doing that .
I have got a good supply of fire wood, split and stacked.
 I am going to keep my RE another year.

Seems work is slowing down.( my real job)
    I'm not ready to move to Ecuador, Thialand , Singapore ,or Malaysia to retire.

This year I'm looking for a good used cargo van with All-Wheel- Drive for some part time appliance repair/ handyman/ painting/ moblie mechanic  ;D....We'll see how that goes.

Whats on your calenders this winter?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 12:02:20 am
Same thing I've done for the past 15 winters. Walk behind a hotbox and fill potholes with occasional breaks to plow snow. :P
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 12:16:28 am
playing in the garage with all my toys and adding kerosene to the space heater so my toes don't get cold

I only have 5 so it doesn't take as much heat with my size 12 foot ;D ;) :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:40:19 am by scoTTy »

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:11:55 am
I am gonna change the license plate set up on Jolly.Never have liked it and now I am gonna turn it on end and mount to .........dunno yet.Probly just behind the rear shock somehow.Like to thro it away.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 02:44:17 am
Burning firewood and drinkin' some quality hooch to keep warm from being in the shed, rubbin' and lovin' on the WM20 ...... and shoveling a metric shat tonne of snow as a matter of course, I suppose.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 02:56:54 am
tinkering on old rusty stuff in the shed.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 03:32:48 am
   Winter ---  Oh Ok I remember  Hmmm I think ille e doing something more usefull with my life.

And probably sit on the beach occasionally if its not too hot.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 05:10:09 am

My oldest is eyeballing a Triumph T-140 Bonnie in a basket.

We'll see how my plans for the winter go,,,,
No matter where you go, there, you are.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 02:35:43 pm
Trying to get 60 HP out of a 450 yamaha. And staying home, things are a little to violent in the mountains of Mexico this year.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 03:17:20 pm
sitting around the fire. reading  winston churchills account of wwII. and going to a few jam sessions. and playing old vinyl bluegrass and the ubiquitous honey do list .& i might cut some more firewood. and a lot of woodshedding.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 11:58:56 pm
I'm doing this made up out of spare parts. Hope the attach thing works.  It's in megabytes.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 05:30:59 am
WInter months are primarily dominated by gunshows and firearms.... but this year i've got an antique radio and 1930's briggs model Y engine i want to get going on. Along with a few ship models here and there....i never did outgrow them :D
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 05:44:50 am
I'll continue to hammer algebra and precalculus into (sometimes) eager young brains.  On the side I'll handle scoreclock duties for our HS hoops teams.  Working with HS kids keeps me young and my hair grey!   :D

When the streets are dry the C5 will get out of the garage for a spell.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 10:26:39 am
I was hoping to keep riding but haven't turned a wheel for three weeks due to work and bad weather. Right now my bike shed is sealed off, like some kind of metal tomb, by heavy snow - pic. attached.

I am thinking about taking the machine off the road at Christmas for some top end work. The motor is a bit low on compression, with plenty of piston slap evident when cold.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 01:13:51 pm
Is snow this early unusual in England this time of year?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 01:34:36 pm
Very much so. They are saying that it has been the worst November snowfall for 17 years or more.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 01:38:23 pm
Should reach 46 degrees today in Indianapolis so I will be out riding. Will ride as much as weather will permit and only if no snow/ice on the roads.

CC
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 02:27:06 pm
Should reach 46 degrees today in Indianapolis so I will be out riding. Will ride as much as weather will permit and only if no snow/ice on the roads.

CC

That's the spirit !!

Riding whenever possible saves me between $1,500 and $3,000 a year in gasoline costs compared to driving.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 03:49:47 pm
Is everybody on here younger than me?Or just tougher and more determined.I just do not care to ride at temps below 65 f.Torture.Then,I cannot get warmed up,cold to the core.We have been having an easy fall in Missouri with many days in the 60s and today we will see 55.It is soon gonna go away,and I will feel better and more justified in neglecting to ride Jolly.I would go for a ride today but I am enjoying a really nice association with a respiratory virus,taking up all my time.I will actually be finishing off the 2 sumbitchin MGs.Midget is almost done,TD is at the stage where things start to speed up,ready for primer,chassis restoration complete,etc.I will never do a TD again,too many details.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 04:01:37 pm
Doing what I do every winter —  Wondering why the hell I live in New England.  The birds are smart... they fly away.  The bears can't fly so they just sleep it away.  Even the frogs dig in and let it pass.  But no... not this stupid land-monkey.  I just shiver, shovel, and swear.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 05:20:34 pm
Doing what I do every winter —  Wondering why the hell I live in New England.  The birds are smart... they fly away.  The bears can't fly so they just sleep it away.  Even the frogs dig in and let it pass.  But no... not this stupid land-monkey.  I just shiver, shovel, and swear.

I couldn't have said THAT better ..... What, in the Wide Wide World of Sports is WRONG with us??  ::)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 05:38:14 pm
I just rode to the store in a T shirt, hehehehe ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 09:23:11 pm
Riding on a lake with virgin ice and no snow is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle. The rest of the time winter sucks.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 11:14:16 pm
Riding on a lake with virgin ice and no snow is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle. The rest of the time winter sucks.

You ain't right .... but somehow ..... I LIKE that idea! Hahaha! It beats "ice fishing" - which, as I've found out, is not about fishing at ALL - but avoiding the wife and drinking copious quantities of liquor while pretending to fish. Riding a motorcycle anytime is good ..... Would the ice hold up the Duh-Nyepper?  ;)

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 11:49:29 pm
We'll put a plow on the duh-nyepper.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 12:03:54 am
We'll put a plow on the duh-nyepper.

;D ;D ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 02:13:19 am
I couldn't have said THAT better ..... What, in the Wide Wide World of Sports is WRONG with us??  ::)
Yea, why couldn't the freek'in Pilgrims have landed in Oahu ! I am sick of raking 12 metric tons of Oak leaves. >:( They hang on till December. Spend all damn day doing it, the next day it's covered again.Then it's shoveling snow and Oak leaves! I need to move to a Pine forest.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 02:23:48 am
I've been burning leaves for days, I'm beginning to get tired of it.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 02:28:56 am
 At least it smells nice. Can't do that around here anymore , the fire dept. and swat team would show up. :D

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 02:31:30 am
Nothing lays upon the ground in Missouri.It is all blown away.Dead animals disappear,they are eaten.Tree limbs are firewood.Beer bottles and pop cans last awhile.No refund.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 02:55:31 am
I live so far out in the sticks they don't bother with me,.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 11:35:34 am
At least it smells nice. Can't do that around here anymore , the fire dept. and swat team would show up. :D

I burn gasoline chomping my leaves up into dust for fertilizer ..... It's kinda funny, too - because I have induced a couple of the neighbors to do it as well. Previously, they all pick their yards clean with tweezers in the fall and them dump a tonne methyl-ethyl bad sh!t on them in the spring to make up for lack of nutrients! Go Figger! The leaves fall off the trees for a REASON .....  ::)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 02:24:58 pm
I did the ride around in a square configuration and choped up the leaves...Only problem was I forgot again this year to wear eye protection...Im okay but felt the chard bits of dried leaves for two days...The safety glasses are now along side the ear protection on the mower seat..
Oh Magoo you done it again

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 02:58:57 pm
I burn gasoline chomping my leaves up into dust for fertilizer ..... It's kinda funny, too - because I have induced a couple of the neighbors to do it as well. Previously, they all pick their yards clean with tweezers in the fall and them dump a tonne methyl-ethyl bad sh!t on them in the spring to make up for lack of nutrients! Go Figger! The leaves fall off the trees for a REASON .....  ::)
The Green Scooter Bob! Cool!!  8)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 04:52:16 pm
The Green Scooter Bob! Cool!!  8)

Absolutely I am! This is one of the BIG reasons that I LOVE the Enfield ...... EM-PEE-GEE's! You'll not catch me dead driving a Chevrolet Sub-Division or a Ford Exploder or the like. Same with chemical crap on the lawn. It's not perfectly weed free - but the bunnies and squirrels don't DIE from merely walking across it - and I got a metric shat tonne of good old earthworms quietly turning my leaf dust into good old worm poop ..... Hahaha! I've always been a bit of a cheap bastage - and often times, cheaper IS greener! We can't use it ALL up right now .... there may be a future out there or some such, eh?  ;)

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 05:30:16 pm
yep and bobs a recycler too  he can take a busted half a fuse holder turn it inside out and make it better than new. (and bob, it's still holding)
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 05:46:03 pm
Is everybody on here younger than me?Or just tougher and more determined.I just do not care to ride at temps below 65 f.Torture.Then,I cannot get warmed up,cold to the core.We have been having an easy fall in Missouri with many days in the 60s and today we will see 55.It is soon gonna go away,and I will feel better and more justified in neglecting to ride Jolly.I would go for a ride today but I am enjoying a really nice association with a respiratory virus,taking up all my time.I will actually be finishing off the 2 sumbitchin MGs.Midget is almost done,TD is at the stage where things start to speed up,ready for primer,chassis restoration complete,etc.I will never do a TD again,too many details.

Br. single,
 Sorry to hear your under the weather. Prayer for a speedy recovery.

Younger and tougher ? naw just really good cold weather gear and LOTS of coffee  ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:29:02 am by Ice »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 05:55:46 pm
I've found that if I treat an illness with Irish whiskey, I can keep it all winter! ;D
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 06:01:10 pm
 :D   ;)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 06:06:23 pm
I've found that if I treat an illness with Irish whiskey, I can keep it all winter! ;D

I've found that a wee dram will cure "the damps", give me a better attitude AND keep me warm ..... It's Marvel Mystery Oil for PEOPLE!! Heeheehee!! ;)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 06:07:51 pm
yep and bobs a recycler too  he can take a busted half a fuse holder turn it inside out and make it better than new. (and bob, it's still holding)

Heeheehee! I have been called the Master of Permanently Temporary before ....  ::) I am glad that she's hangin' in there, too!

j byrd

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 06:34:59 pm
I'm finishing the move to Hawaii, riding the scooter and the Enfield, driving the convertible and the Mini, bought a Falcon Ranchero, going to the beach right below the house, waiting on my wife to get here next month, staying warm and comfortable, and not having aches and pains !!
j byrd

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 06:40:33 pm
I've found that a wee dram will cure "the damps", give me a better attitude AND keep me warm ..... It's Marvel Mystery Oil for PEOPLE!! Heeheehee!! ;)

Here is how I feel about whiskey,

"If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

"But;

"If when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

"This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise."

Iron Butt Association

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 08:19:23 pm
you mean to say i can get a spring in my step on a frosty morn? well i gotta try that!
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 09:26:55 pm
r80rt - That is a mouthful ..... but I'm going to memorise it - and use it often in the future! Brilliant!  ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: November 29, 2010, 09:36:19 pm
I can't take credit for the famous "Whiskey Speech" but I've always loved it. It was delivered by Noah Sweat in the Mississippi House in 1952 when lawmakers were debating legalizing liquor.
I like the way he thought.
Iron Butt Association

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: November 30, 2010, 12:51:27 am
Thanx,Ice.Not better yet,but still busy.Never give in.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #47 on: November 30, 2010, 01:59:52 am
I can't take credit for the famous "Whiskey Speech" but I've always loved it. It was delivered by Noah Sweat in the Mississippi House in 1952 when lawmakers were debating legalizing liquor.
I like the way he thought.

Then old Noah would be a FINE Southern Gentleman with a deep understanding of the human version version of Marvel Mystery Oil ...... like ME! Hahahaha! Good stuff!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: November 30, 2010, 02:40:07 am
 Well stated Dan. I recited that second paragraph to my lovely wife about 2 A.m. last sunday morning, after my return from Halahans. Yea, think that was the place. ::)