Author Topic: This is just too cool  (Read 9952 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 05:18:15 pm
I love the look of this bike.

As an aside we were considering carrying the girder front forks. As I always do, I visited the factory where they are made. After the visit I had to be put on sedatives for several days. I then decided that they were one of the most dangerous pieces of motorcycle equipment I have ever seen. Hopefully these are made somewhere else for the sake of the Bollywood star. He will be "the late Bollywood star" if they aren't.

I did however learn how to make a slot with a crooked drill press arbor and a bad bearing and how to center punch a hole with a crooked wobbling drill bit. Structural welding with coat hangers and scrap metal was also refined to an art form. On the OSHA front I also learned how to protect your eyes from welding glare by squinting.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 06:18:13 pm
There is a rash of poorly made girder re-pop front ends on e-bay lately.  Some of which are unusable right out of the box. Legs with different lengths. Links that attach in different spots.
It's a nice thought that someone would reproduce the girders of yesteryear but the Indian company that is making these is not the one that should be doing it and is probably ruining it for someone that wanted to do it right. 

In defense of the girder I had a 10" over Durfee girder on a rigid Harley that handled very well considering the rake the bike had. Put many many miles on that bike with no spooky moments.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 06:20:30 pm
I love the look of this bike.

As an aside we were considering carrying the girder front forks. As I always do, I visited the factory where they are made. After the visit I had to be put on sedatives for several days. I then decided that they were one of the most dangerous pieces of motorcycle equipment I have ever seen. Hopefully these are made somewhere else for the sake of the Bollywood star. He will be "the late Bollywood star" if they aren't.

I did however learn how to make a slot with a crooked drill press arbor and a bad bearing and how to center punch a hole with a crooked wobbling drill bit. Structural welding with coat hangers and scrap metal was also refined to an art form. On the OSHA front I also learned how to protect your eyes from welding glare by squinting.
Thanks for the warning, I love girders but I'll pass on these!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 05:32:01 am
That is a really sweet bike.  That girder looks to have a modern shock with damping installed which is good but that's all I can say.  I love the floating seat and the faux oil tank to stick all the electronics in.  With the bars that low I could probably ride it for about 7 minutes before my back gave out :D

I'd love to get a good girder front end for these bikes but after reading Kevin's previous accounts I'll wait until a quality unit comes along.  I had the Girvin Pro-Flex fork on my mountain bike many years ago, it's basically a super light weight girder.  You could configure it to travel straight up and down or to pivot back slightly on compression.  Best fork I ever rode!

Scott

icarus

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 05:05:14 am
I'm sure it ust be LOUD!  :o
1947 FN M13
1997 Honda Africa Twin XRV750
2007 Indian Bullet Electra 5S  which I travelled with in Nepal and India.
2008 Honda Transalp XL700V
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100

rajithcherian

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 05:20:55 am
Another Rajputana Creation...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 12:14:35 am
I wonder if OCC is paying attention   ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 12:40:57 am
I wonder if OCC is paying attention   ;D

I doubt it - you don't have to be a father raper or mother stabber to own one of these - just cool. Besides - it ain't a Uh-MER-i-kuhn Vee-Twin .... so it must be a COMMIE bike to them .... Hahaha!  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Royal Rider

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 01:21:53 am
I wonder if OCC is paying attention

Nahh, those dummies are too busy throwing tantrums at one another...   they stopped being a show about motorcycles a long time ago.   ::)
2004 Bullet Sixty5
(RE)Livin' the Dream!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 01:31:30 am
From 50 feet, everything they build looks alike ::)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:31:01 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 01:48:57 am
From 50 feet, everything they build look alike ::)

Fifty? - I would think like, TEN would be closer to the truth ......  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 02:22:48 am
I doubt it - you don't have to be a father raper or mother stabber to own one of these - just cool. Besides - it ain't a Uh-MER-i-kuhn Vee-Twin .... so it must be a COMMIE bike to them .... Hahaha!  ::)
Well when the Harley boys  crowd around my C-5 and ogle about how cool it is. and ask " Cool ,what year Triumph is That" ::).  I go on to explain what it is, It's history, and where it's made, etc.  The open minded ones nod with interest, But to the ones that scoff and scrawl and make derogatory comments, I do enjoy pointing out the Japanese parts on there bikes." Have you ever heard of kiehin ?" "  " Did you know Showa is not quite an American company?" HE..he..he.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 03:32:25 am
.... so it must be a COMMIE bike to them .... Hahaha!  ::)

LoLolol

"They" get Royally pi$$#d off when the subject of Communist Chinese parts count comes up and I point to the made in India VIN plate, explain India's import taxes then whip out a couple H-D parts, new in the factory wrap, marked "Made in China".

No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 03:38:42 am
I went with a friend to the Harley shop to get a new ignition switch for his FXwhatever and they asked if he wanted a Japanese aftermarket switch or a genuine HD part. Well he had to have the genuine article and paid a lot extra for it, when I opened the box to put the switch on his bike, it had a MADE IN MEXICO sticker on it, I laughed my ass off over that, and I'll never let him forget it. ;D
Iron Butt Association

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 02:33:41 pm
r80rt  counts coup on a harley
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.