Author Topic: EFI Silencer vs Upswept Muffler  (Read 30193 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #45 on: November 03, 2010, 08:11:09 am
Thank You Br. D.S. !!

No matter where you go, there, you are.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #46 on: November 03, 2010, 01:12:36 pm
That Tiny Tach is a great tool.  Simple to use. Inductive pickup right off of the plug wire. I have a single cylinder ultralight aircraft that I fly,  I use the Tiny Tach to monitor my RPM's. on the Briggs V-Twin.

Just a single cable with two wires inside. Wrap one around your plug wire and clip the other (Red it think) to a ground and start it up.   It updates itself every half second or so.  Can be permanently installed or stored in your toolbox for working on your lawn mower!

I bought a few for 20.00, used off of eBay.  The guy was upgrading his karts at a go-kart track and parting out the pieces, he had a tiny tach on each kart so the attendants could tell at a glance if the governors were set right.
Any other Enfields in New England?

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 01:14:18 am
Back on thread track:

I picked up the C5 today from the shop.  They went over the bike and got the headpipe bolts properly tightened.  I was advised to check the bolts from time to time.

The tech said that this C5 has more power than the others in the shop.  800 miles probably makes a big difference from the demo unit with 200. 

The backfiring is mostly gone with just some reminders upon deceleration.  It seems to have more acceleration now than before with the stock torpedo.  The sound is MUCH better and not all that loud, imho. 

I wish it didn't stick out as far as it does.  The rear bracket attaches to the outside of the passenger peg.  The stock pipe bracket attaches to the inside of the peg.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #48 on: November 13, 2010, 03:49:09 pm
"....It seems to have more acceleration now than before with the stock torpedo.  ...."

It'll cruise along more happily at higher speeds too.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #49 on: November 13, 2010, 04:52:04 pm
"....It seems to have more acceleration now than before with the stock torpedo.  ...."

It'll cruise along more happily at higher speeds too.
How long did you wait before fitting silencer? I had one deliverd allong with bike but thought best to give it 500ml-1000ml before fitting in case in run the bike too lean while on break in period.Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #50 on: November 13, 2010, 04:57:17 pm
Some folk here have said it's best to wait until the engine is broken in. I fitted mine (goldstar from watsonian) after about 2000 miles. I doubt it'll run lean - the ECU is able to adjust to a wide tolerance. I still get around 85 mpg (UK Gallon). It backfires occasionally, but more a bit of burbling on the overrun.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: November 13, 2010, 05:28:32 pm
The upswept muffler went on at 750 miles.  Most of break-in is complete, but I'm not yet running it like a wild banshee (if that is possible with 22hp).

This C5 has never been lean.  The EFI computer is supposed to adapt and I believe it has done that just fine.

The stock torpedo never developed the CC hot-spot seen on some REs. 

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #52 on: November 13, 2010, 08:07:41 pm
The tech said that this C5 has more power than the others in the shop.  800 miles probably makes a big difference from the demo unit with 200. 

Sounds like you've broken it in well, Norm!

Eamon
Eamon

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #53 on: November 13, 2010, 08:13:11 pm

Just wait another 800 ;)

I suspect the only reason not to fit a more free flow pipe from the start is not in the engine but the rider.  Throaty exhaust notes make it harder to stick to a conservative break in schedule  ;D

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 02:22:30 am
DON'T fool with what looks like an old fashioned idle speed adjustment screw near the round pulley with the throttle cables. It is the throttle position sensor and has a LOT to do with how your bike runs. It is a key element in telling the computer where your throttle is and where things start at idle. If you have fooled with it I would suggest you get it reset. If you want to change the idle speed there is a limited adjustment on the top of the throttle body as others have indicated. It is a large brass screw.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #55 on: November 15, 2010, 01:59:56 pm
Just curious...

Restting the TPS, does that require any more than a manual and a volt-ohm meter?

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: November 29, 2010, 03:33:56 am
I suspect the only reason not to fit a more free flow pipe from the start is not in the engine but the rider.  Throaty exhaust notes make it harder to stick to a conservative break in schedule  ;D
Scott

Well, at 45 degrees in still air, somewhat colder at 60mph, it is clear that the air-cooled UCE motor likes the temperature more than my body does!

Anyway, I put 30 cold miles on the C5 today and I really like the exhaust tone from the upswept muffler.  Who cares if the MPG dips a bit if the bike sounds that good?! 

The motor feels like it is more willing to rev, and it also pulls harder under some load (but not too much just yet). 

Oh, at 60mpg (66 on the dial) the C5 felt stable.  No groovy pavement this time.  Since the indicated limit was 50 I didn't go any faster, this day.   ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #57 on: November 29, 2010, 04:09:29 am
Yeah, motors run well in cool, dense air.  Get a thicker jacket and enjoy!

Scott