Author Topic: Front Wheel Disc Brake Noise !  (Read 6877 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 23, 2010, 10:51:58 pm
My bike has been making 'kTak' 'kTak' noises randomly, unrelated to speed, unaffected by bumps.  It was coming from the front of the bike - riding slow or riding fast did not matter it just popped off and on.  A bit distrubing.  I looked for any loose nut/ bolts.  The bike on center stand, rotated the front wheel no noise then.  Though the wheel did not turn as freely as I would like.  I cleaned the brake disc, the wheel then rotated fine. Went for a ride, again the same 'kTak' here and there.

Opened the brake caliper and found that there was a gap between the back side of brake pad and bottom piston (see picture below).  The pad was not jammed.  When moved by hand, it hit the piston and made the same 'kTak' sound I had heard during riding.  I cleaned caliper, brake pads, pins and spring and put it back together.  Went for a ride and the noise is back again.

Any thoughts or experiences with this kind of problem ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:09:12 pm
Is your speedo cable securely affixed to the wheel?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:15:37 pm
Is your speedo cable securely affixed to the wheel?
Speedo cable is tight and speedometer works fine.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 12:50:34 am
Speedo cable is tight and speedometer works fine.

Drat, I was hoping for an easy fix.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:11:52 am
Another piece of info that I should add is that the top half of brake pad is in full contact with the top piston.  But the bottom half of brake pad does not touch the bottom piston.  When riding, the pad oscillates like a pendulum and it hits the bottom piston with a 'kTak'. 

@Prof:  Does you front wheel rotate freely ?  Do you need more push to turn front wheel than rear wheel ?  Once turning, does it stop quickly as if the brake is always on ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 01:18:36 am
 Singh, check and see if you are missing your brake pad Tensioner, should be a metal plate up in the caliper body ,above the pads. Also try some silicone grease on the pad pins, you know, where they slide? You may just have that gap because you have the wheel/ rotor off, and you may have worked the brake lever a bit. and pushed the pistons out?  Sounds like your pad is rattling as you ride. If the rattling stops when you apply a little brake, that's most likely it.
Also make sure your pistons are operating correctly, you know, in and out as you apply the brake. Look for any brake fluid around the pistons.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 03:28:30 am
one of the pistons may be stuck, I've seen that happen before.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 06:09:32 pm
Singh, check and see if you are missing your brake pad Tensioner, should be a metal plate up in the caliper body ,above the pads.

+1.  There's are little prongs on the plate that grab the top of the pad.  See if they're all there and not bent over.  Checking to see that the pistons are not fozen is a good bet too.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 06:01:29 pm
Singh, check and see if you are missing your brake pad Tensioner, should be a metal plate up in the caliper body ,above the pads. Also try some silicone grease on the pad pins, you know, where they slide? You may just have that gap because you have the wheel/ rotor off, and you may have worked the brake lever a bit. and pushed the pistons out?  Sounds like your pad is rattling as you ride. If the rattling stops when you apply a little brake, that's most likely it.

Also make sure your pistons are operating correctly, you know, in and out as you apply the brake. Look for any brake fluid around the pistons.

@GHG, @r80rt and @Scott:

1.  Tensioner (spring plate) was cleaned and fitted in the caliper.
2.  Did grease the pins.  Pads moved smoothly.
3.  When brake was applied, there was no noise - no 'kTak'.
4.  There was no fluid leak at the pistons.  However, I do not know if both pistons are even or one piston is stuck.  It has been cold for the last couple of days and today it was snowing and the bike is outside.  I am unable to check the pistons till the weather is better and warms up a bit.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:08:50 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 06:10:28 pm
I doubt that you will have a stuck piston, but it's something to check.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 06:19:51 pm
I doubt that you will have a stuck piston, but it's something to check.

@r80rt:

Didn't you say that you have seen that happen before in your previous post !!  What else could cause this ?  Any other ideas ?

one of the pistons may be stuck, I've seen that happen before.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:40:51 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 06:47:18 pm
I have seen it happen before, not on a RE, it's rare but it can happen. Just trying to offer you a possibility.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:45:01 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 09:09:55 pm
Hi Singh!
I´m afraid that could be a stuck brake piston. It should slide smooth and straight back whereas yours looks like it is tipped and therefore has nor full contact with the pad.
Stuck brake pistons happen quite frequently in cabs or other cars that eat kilometers. Reason are grooves in the piston and wear all around the diameter, sometimes combined with loss of brake fluid. They simply tip a little bit and get stuck. I´m surprised that your Bullet´s is causing difficulties with only 10k miles, but sometimes it´s just bad luck. I once lost a Mercedes calliper due to the same problem after 50k kilometers, the replacement made then additional 400k  ;D
You can try to make them move again by sheer force, supported by a small amount of grease, but I doubt it´s woth the efford cause you only delay the end and will never know how effective your trial was until it´s stuck again. Maybe the calliper isn´t costly - this said if it´s actually the case the your´s is done. I guess you have to disassemble it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:14:48 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 02:19:42 am
 That piston does look like it has some pitting on it? Unless that's just road debris or brake pad particles? The other piston, we can't see, if it's out further,as r80rt and maturin said, that could very well be it. I have seen pistons corrode and pit on bike's that stay outside with less milage then yours Singh. Remember, that Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid is highly corrosive, .There may be a thin sheen of it left over on the surface of the piston, if the seal is weeping a bit, as it goes in and out. Then it's exposed to air and moister, making thing worse.
 If that's what it turns out to be, your wellcome to bring the caliper down, and we'll pop the pistons out with my compressor, if you don't have one, and replace the seals and pistons.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 03:08:04 pm
You should be able to press the pistons in to the caliper, usually by hand.  Try it next time you have the caliper off.  It will take some force and you may want to lay some thing across to press on.  Try each one individually.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 03:28:50 pm
I use a small C clamp, works great.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 01:06:46 am
If that's what it turns out to be, your wellcome to bring the caliper down, and we'll pop the pistons out with my compressor, if you don't have one, and replace the seals and pistons.

@GHG:
Thanks for your offer to use the compressor.  I am going to see what I can do and if I do not make a headway, I will give you a call. 

@Maturin:
Good insights on why and how pistons can get stuck in caliper and your experience with your Mercedes car.  Thanks for your input.

@Ducati and @r80rt:
Got a C-clamp and a flat metal plate so that I do not touch the piston edge directly.  Not riding daily due to cold / bad weather.  Thanks for your advice.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 08:13:49 am
Not riding daily due to cold / bad weather. 

Me either :(

draggin

• Kirkus
  • Scooter
  • http://kirkusblog.com/
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:55 pm
has anyone resolved this? I get the same noise, and the wheel drags at the same time.
1966 Bmw R69s/R75 1050CC http://kirkusblog.com/2011/01/12/das-bike-projekt-delivery/
1968 Honda Cl175 http://kirkusblog.com/2013/05/03/turning-japanese-i-really-think-so/
1972 Honda CL450 SOLD
1973 Yamaha XS450 SOLD
2009 Triumph Bonneville
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome Special Black https://kirkusbl

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 09:50:36 pm
You get the noise because the wheel is dragging. Push the pistons back into the calipers a bit. Get some brake cleaner and spray the groove around the pistons and clean the gap thoroughly. That should allow the piston to move and retract as desired. As mentioned clean and lightly grease the pins that the pad assemblies slide on
Bare
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:58:21 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 03:57:08 am
DON'T TAKE FRONT DISC BRAKE PROBLEMS LIGHTLY. Unlike a Drum Brake, A Disc can totally lock up, & put you down-in possibly a face plant. I crashed & totaled my Kawasaki W650 last year, from a LOCKUP. Fortunately no face plant, but I tumbled over & under the bike quite a way. Only damaged my left rotator cuff(shoulder) Now healed. I will never again ignore a SLIGHTLY NOISEY OR GRABBY DISC.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

draggin

• Kirkus
  • Scooter
  • http://kirkusblog.com/
Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 05:45:47 pm
I cleaned and lubed mine and they stopped dragging, but I did notice that the front brake disk has a slight wobble to it. I will take it to the dealer for that, but the noise and sticking are definitely gone once I disassembled and lubed the caliper! just a very slight oscillation since the rotor is out of true.  :) :) :)
Thanks Singh for posting the great front caliper video!
1966 Bmw R69s/R75 1050CC http://kirkusblog.com/2011/01/12/das-bike-projekt-delivery/
1968 Honda Cl175 http://kirkusblog.com/2013/05/03/turning-japanese-i-really-think-so/
1972 Honda CL450 SOLD
1973 Yamaha XS450 SOLD
2009 Triumph Bonneville
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome Special Black https://kirkusbl