Author Topic: 06' 350 Import Q.  (Read 2996 times)

lasalsa

• The other guy!
  • Scooter
  • '06 350 Machismo getting packed.
on: November 23, 2010, 10:42:56 am
Long story short:
- U.S. Service-member stationed in India then goes to South America. While in India buys an '06 Machizmo 350 and imports it with no problems to South America.
- FFWD, Dec 10, Has orders back to the states.
- Enfield and Side-car will be crated up by contracted moving company and shipped with the household goods.

Question:
-What will i encounter at customs when they see I have a motorcycle in the shipment?
- Can I import it myself as a service-member and register it as a limited mileage vehicle?
- Do I have to contract a registered importer to handle all the transaction?
- Can Mr. Mahoney or anyone in the RE community help? ;)

Thanks in advance, any info will be greatly appreciated.

Richie
USAF

06 Machismo 350, Cozy Side Car.

World Traveler.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 01:57:51 pm
I imagine it depends on the State you are moving to.. If its California you might have troubles.

Good luck.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:04:58 pm
You need to contact US Customs AND the state DMV where you're moving.
To quote someone before your time; "Ain't nobody here but us chickens."
Run what ya brung

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 02:10:48 pm
for some reason im thinking since he was in the military and on a offical assignment that he might be able to import..i would think that military transportation/logistic personel should be able to shed some light re. the importation of vehicle...
Oh Magoo you done it again

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 02:18:43 pm
I would not worry about customs..  When I shipped my car back from overseas I just picked it up off the lot and took it to the DMV, and my household goods were delivered to my new  place without customs even bothering them. Of course that was 14 years ago...  If customs does not ask, don't tell is my point of view..

You might have an issue titling the bike since it has never been titled in the states.   This might be worked around depending on the state though...  
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 02:20:31 pm
The requirement from many years ago was that the vehicle had to meet the American requirements for importing. Mine was a VW bought in Germany but when I bought it I bought the American version... There are, more than likely, many more requirements in todays world.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:00:31 pm
     The 350 is not certified to meet EPA and DOT standards. If customs catches it
(99.999% certainty) you will have to send it back, destroy it, send it to certified lab to be brought to standards ($$$$$$$$$), or you may be able to import as an ORV or some other non street use standard. EVERY one of my customers that has tried this has had to dispose of the bike.
     If you do manage to get it through customs you will probably not be able to register it. In the wake of the Chinese import explosion all the states are verifying the VIN to insure federal compliance.
     You would do far better to sell the bike there, then replace it with a US model.
     This has been the scenario in every instance I have seen. I would talk to the people in customs to verify. If someone gives you the OK, get it in writing. This will give you something to tear up in anger when the next guy says no.
     I'm sorry to rain on your parade. I know you have a fun bike. It would be hard to part with it. But you don't need the headache it will give you to try to import.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 06:19:50 pm
Here is a solution.  Remove the engine and trans before shipping,  import the frame and tub.   Get a XS650 motor and drop it in.   It will be much happier pulling the tub anyhow.... Register it as a kit bike..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 12:18:50 am
lasalsa,,PM sent.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 12:26:56 am
lasalsa,,PM sent.

And you are not going to share that with us ??

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 12:35:40 am
[/quote

O.k,,,,

Washington State has various provisions to register home built, custom made,kit and re constructed vehicles.

While no expert in such matters I have been to enough DOL registration agents to figure out which ones are courteous, understanding and  user friendly and which ones are a PITA .
No matter where you go, there, you are.

lasalsa

• The other guy!
  • Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 12:42:23 am
I WILL share it with you all guys, no worries.

The agreement with the Argentine government allowing me to register and ride the bike here, was that I re-export the bike out of ARG when my duty was up. I received a clause from them stating that I could NOT sell it either.

There is absolutely NO WAY I can re-ship the bike to India either as I am not on diplomatic mission there.

I might be able to get a letter from the Argentine Gov stating that, and maybe the U.S. Customs will be easier to deal with.

Crap.. I forgot... I have a good friend that is the Country Rep for Immigration/Customs Enforcement (DHS).. I'm having Thanksgiving with him.. I'll ping him for the contacts in customs.

R>.

World Traveler.

lasalsa

• The other guy!
  • Scooter
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 12:45:39 am
[/quote
O.k,,,,

Washington State has various provisions to register home built, custom made,kit and re constructed vehicles.

While no expert in such matters I have been to enough DOL registration agents to figure out which ones are courteous, understanding and  user friendly and which ones are a PITA .

SWEET.. Just so happens that my last U.S. Address is on McChord AFB. I lived there and had a license there from 00-05. Maybe I can let the customs agents know that I will be registering the bike in WA.. It's allowed for Military..

Please send me the documentation for proof...  :o

R>.

World Traveler.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 06:23:43 am
Good for you. And thanks for your service to the nation.

lasalsa

• The other guy!
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 02:26:10 pm
WORST CASE SCENARIO:

How difficult would it be to REMOVE the Motor and send it separately?

Thoughts?..

World Traveler.