Author Topic: Luggage Rack - OK, I'm Stupid  (Read 7250 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: January 17, 2008, 10:45:53 pm
CMW got my adjustable luggage rack to me today.  Naturally I was doing the fitment check thing when I realizede - I don't know wehat this thing is supposed to mount to.  DUH!

OK, the long lower and forward mount arms seem to go in to the shock mount bolts.  But what do the shorter rear mount arms attach to???  The only thing close if the fender mount screws.  Surely, these mounting arms are not supposed to mount against a painted surface, , , , , , , are they?

Need some quick advice from someone who has done it.

Thanks,
Fred
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:12:32 am by fredgold52 »
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:58:07 am
Don't have it ,but if thats were they end up thats were they go. With my Lucas style tail lamp I had to make the rubber welts that keep the fender and taillight mounting pads apart.Also had to make a spacer for the bottom mount so it wouldn't bear on the fender.I thought that stuff should be included but ......
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 03:04:23 am
The 2 that you think go to the shock mounts go to the shock mounts. The other 2 go down to the painted saddlebag support brackets(I'm not sure what there called). At least that's how I set mine up.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 03:35:16 am
Give Jim a call at 800-201-7472
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 02:00:58 pm
I am pretty used to getting things without instructions or pictures about installing them.  Almost everything for my Stella/Vespa scooter came to me like that.  And most of the time that's fine.

But this idea of mounting a luggage rack strut on top of fender paint is a new thing for me.  If that's how it's supposed to go, I'll be making rubber protecters of some kind.

Thanks all for your help, and I think I'll do as Kevin suggests and call Jim.

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 03:16:31 pm
The two forward arms attach to the upper shock bolts as you have noted. The shorter rear arms attach to the tabs on the mudguard carriers that fasten the rear mount of the dual seat. They angle forward to this position.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 04:12:08 am
I just wanted to add that I bought this piece as well and was pretty unsure how to attach it. I called and got the lowdown on how to do it. I ordered some rubber donuts to protect the surfaces but I still haven't put it on. I got a bike cover from the website and if you mount the carrier then the cover won't fit over the bike. The cover. I have had it for about six months and it has tears and the buckle broke. I am not too tough on my bike so I don't think I caused these problems. Maybe a generic bike cover...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 04:36:13 pm
Jon,
If you got the cover from us (Classic Motorworks) , I would like to point out that it is most likely covered under our one year warranty. . Give us a call and we'll happily get you a new one.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 09:05:18 pm
You're not stupid. I put the rack on my '02 last summer. I love the rack, it works great, but the even for someone who is mechanically adept, as I am, the installation was not as straight forward as the description says it is.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 10:34:09 pm
I wound up running the rear mount arms to the fender support and securing them with cable clamps.  I did this because I felt the installation needed more verticle support for the carrying surface. 

It seemed to me that running the rear support arms forward to the seat mount would produce a fairly flimsy carrier as there would not be any straight down bracing.

I plan on carrying a full set of golf clubs on this thing so it needs to be solid.

I'll post a picture of what I did in the modifications sectioon of the picture gallary - probably this weekend.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 04:05:38 am
I agree. I have had my rack slip down slightly under heavier loads.

The lower set of supports really should be attached in a more vertical fashion.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 07:04:57 pm
"I plan on carrying a full set of golf clubs on this thing so it needs to be solid"

Now that's what I call adventurous Fredgold52 !!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 04:07:36 am
Well, it's just the way I like to do things.  For the last four years my only 2 wheeled vehicle was a scooter.  I carried my clubs of the scooter, went grocery shopping with it, etc.  Pretty much used it as my sole transportation unless I had to carry some other people along.

Now I have the Bullet and I feel the need to be able to use it the same way.  A car is absolutely the last resort for me in any situation.  So this rack needs to be more than just a pretty face.   :)

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 03:01:38 am
 I bent up some clamps for mine and painted them black. I used a piece of innertube between the clamp and the  saddlebag support. Then when I was browsing at a truckstop I noticed chrome and stainless mirror clamps that look like they would do the job nicely and add a tiny bit of sparkle.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 02:09:41 pm
I posted a picture of my bikes.  I think I called it Fred's Bullet or something imaginative like that.  Anyway, if you copy the pic and enlarge it you may be able to see where and how I attached the rear mount arms for the rack.  Very much like c1skout describes on his.

gemini641

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 04:45:26 am
No, you're not stupid! It takes some ingenuity to get the thing on.

For me, I used a pair of stainless hose clamps which torqued into shape as I tightened them. They attach at the bottom of the "mudguard holders". Fender supports is what I call them.

My installation had a little quirk to it because I ordered the vintage seat and passenger pad, which came with a new set of fender supports. So I had to pound the sides of the passenger seat with a rubber mallet to get them in far enough to accommodate the carrier. I have a buddy who's going to weld a couple of gussets onto the fender supports so I can drill a hole and mount the carrier struts there. Meantime, the hose clamps hold really well. I can shake the whole bike with the carrier. I even sat on it and there was no give at all.

Tom
Gemini41
05 Bullet Deluxe

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 08:54:41 am
No, you're not stupid! It takes some ingenuity to get the thing on.

My installation had a little quirk to it because I ordered the vintage seat and passenger pad, which came with a new set of fender supports. So I had to pound the sides of the passenger seat with a rubber mallet to get them in far enough to accommodate the carrier.

Tom
Gemini41
05 Bullet Deluxe

There's nothing like an accurate fit with new parts......................... and this was nothing like an accurate fit eh?  ;)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 09:33:16 pm
"Golf CLubs",,,,,,,,,,Well I'll be danged...........................

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 09:40:41 pm
Yup.  It's the only way to get a good parking place at the course. 

No, that's not true.  I'd just rather 'bike' it to where I'm going than drive a cage.  I'll Post a pic to show how this looks.  It does turn a few heads.