Author Topic: Hello everyone, long time lurker just joined  (Read 7968 times)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
on: January 17, 2008, 08:55:02 pm
Hey guys! Its cool to see a nice little enfield forum. I have been lurking for a while and starting to get the itch for an enfield. I live in the Chicago land area and took a really good look at the enfields back in the summer. I fell in love right away with how old school and simple they are. I have been riding a Yamaha v star 650 for 5 years now and love it. I plan on adding the enfield in addition to the star. My bike is all chromed/dressed out so getting a bare bones bike is real appealing to me and it seems the enfield fits that bill.

Now ive been reading about reliability and stuff which seems pretty good as long as the bike is maintained and broken in right(well, duh ! LOL). I am meticulous with maintenance so thats not a problem.

Now out of curiosity i was wondering about how well the clutch/transmission set up is? I haven't seen alot of talk about that here, mainly motor longevity. Since the motors seem to wear alot sooner than your typical newer bike, how about the drive train? Besides chains/sprockets etc. Mostly the heart of the drive train. I guess im just trying to get an idea about how the whole bike is.

I probably will end up doing an exhaust/intake mod if i get one too. But i gotta get one first ! I have my v star all jetted with intake/exhaust etc which was very easy to tune with the help of the star forum. How about the enfield, is it easy to get it dialed in? I see people changing out main/pilot jets but no mention of needle clip settings. Dont wanna sound dumb but does the carb have that set up or is it different?

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and look forward to poking around here. And hopefully i'll get an enfield soon, i just cant wait for a warm up to do a demo. Anyway, any comments on the bike or suggestions for a newbie? Thanks!  ;D

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:51:31 pm
Seems to me that the clutch-tranny (5speed) is bullet proof,and you seem to have the dope on everything else. Real basic. Yes ,the carb has a needle clip adjustment,but on this bike I really didn't go that far,just got the main richer and that seemed good enough,for me.I'm sure as time goes by I'll look into that. good luck in your search, remember the cast iron cylinder bulls are drying up.

2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:58:42 pm
Welcome to the forum. Well, I think you're getting the Enfield the right reasons! Simple, they are. There is more maintenance to do than any other new bike on the market but that's to be expected, of course.

As you mention regular maintenance and initial break in are important otherwise you may well suffer problems, either immediately or further down the road. I'm not the guy who can really answer the longevity questions you ask, as I haven't owned mine long enough to tell you. But with good maintenance and upkeep, You could expect at least 30,000 miles before any kind of serious work is needed, probably longer than that. I'm sure someone will chime in with a better answer. These bikes start to have problems when you try and increase horsepower or run them at high speeds. You have to always remember they're 50 year old technology, with a very low power output, and kept like that they're very reliable. If you do a minor job of jetting or adding a less restrictive exhaust, I'll think you probably help the bike some by allowing it to breathe more freely, but if you expect to rebuild the carbs, head and exhaust systems and produce twice the horsepower and try for 70 mph all day, then you'll be in for a nasty suprise and some expensive fixes.

Think slow and relaxed, plodding down the road, admiring the scenery, and the bike will do you just fine.

I plan on messing with the carb jetting and exhaust in the next few months, along with removal of most of the emissions garb that restrict the bike. From what I understand, its fairly straightforward. If you can set your yamaha up, I'm sure you'll have no problem with an Enfield.

There was a discussion earlier about how and when to do some of these modifications. Many say wait a while until the break in period is over. The bike will change considerably as it breaks in and you'll have plenty to do maintenance wise as it is, especially if you follow the Pete Snidal procedure. Also, if you change of bunch of stuff from stock and you have to take the bike back for warranty work for any reason, you may problems. Just a thought. I would think if you wait until you have around 2000 miles on it, it'll be broken in enough where its not going to change much and you'll have less screwing around with dialing stuff in.

It took me almost a full season to get to 2000 miles, as the initial break in has you riding at 30 mph for extended times. I highly recommend you do this, but at 30 mph, miles don't pile up quickly at all! Without hours and hours of spare time, it took me a while.

Have fun and good luck
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:38:47 pm
Welcome greekxj.  I'm pretty new here too.  I now have 126 miles on my '65' Bullet.

Your attitude towards maintenance and tinker seems about right for an RE.  However, I believe the newer aluminum engined Classics and so fourth won't require quite so much. 

You'll have to decide what you are going to do, but I can tell from my short time with the bike, the whole maintenance thing is overblown.  They simply aren't going to need all that much.  More than a Honda, yes.  But not a terrible amount.

The trans shifts as good as many older Japanese bikes.  Very few missed shifts.  It has a solid positive feel.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:58:59 pm
Seems to me that the clutch-tranny (5speed) is bullet proof,and you seem to have the dope on everything else. Real basic. Yes ,the carb has a needle clip adjustment,but on this bike I really didn't go that far,just got the main richer and that seemed good enough,for me.I'm sure as time goes by I'll look into that. good luck in your search, remember the cast iron cylinder bulls are drying up.

Hey thanks! It seems simple enough, looks like the carb doesn't even have to come off. Well maybe? Simple enough though etc. I appreciate the advice. BTW, you mentioned the old iron motors going bye bye soon and i thought i remember reading that before. Whats the time frame on that?

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:06:04 pm
Welcome to the forum. Well, I think you're getting the Enfield the right reasons! Simple, they are. There is more maintenance to do than any other new bike on the market but that's to be expected, of course.

As you mention regular maintenance and initial break in are important otherwise you may well suffer problems, either immediately or further down the road. I'm not the guy who can really answer the longevity questions you ask, as I haven't owned mine long enough to tell you. But with good maintenance and upkeep, You could expect at least 30,000 miles before any kind of serious work is needed, probably longer than that. I'm sure someone will chime in with a better answer. These bikes start to have problems when you try and increase horsepower or run them at high speeds. You have to always remember they're 50 year old technology, with a very low power output, and kept like that they're very reliable. If you do a minor job of jetting or adding a less restrictive exhaust, I'll think you probably help the bike some by allowing it to breathe more freely, but if you expect to rebuild the carbs, head and exhaust systems and produce twice the horsepower and try for 70 mph all day, then you'll be in for a nasty suprise and some expensive fixes.

Think slow and relaxed, plodding down the road, admiring the scenery, and the bike will do you just fine.

I plan on messing with the carb jetting and exhaust in the next few months, along with removal of most of the emissions garb that restrict the bike. From what I understand, its fairly straightforward. If you can set your yamaha up, I'm sure you'll have no problem with an Enfield.

There was a discussion earlier about how and when to do some of these modifications. Many say wait a while until the break in period is over. The bike will change considerably as it breaks in and you'll have plenty to do maintenance wise as it is, especially if you follow the Pete Snidal procedure. Also, if you change of bunch of stuff from stock and you have to take the bike back for warranty work for any reason, you may problems. Just a thought. I would think if you wait until you have around 2000 miles on it, it'll be broken in enough where its not going to change much and you'll have less screwing around with dialing stuff in.

It took me almost a full season to get to 2000 miles, as the initial break in has you riding at 30 mph for extended times. I highly recommend you do this, but at 30 mph, miles don't pile up quickly at all! Without hours and hours of spare time, it took me a while.

Have fun and good luck

Hey thanks for all the info! I was kinda thinking along the same lines as you as far as modding goes. Ya know, give it enough time to break in then start tweaking. I would do the intake/exhaust and clean up all the emissions crap too. I have no interest in messing with the actual motor, i just wanna open it up and let it breathe/drink    ;D without restriction! I don't know of any motor that would hate that.

Usage wise i would probably do like you with about 2-3K a year. I put around 9-10K on the star but that would drop with the new bike. I kinda would like the enfield for some back road cruising/forest preserves where i can just take it easy. I know my v star loves to wind out and rev up so its hard to resist with that one. I would probably take it to bike shows and stuff too. Just real casual easy stuff. I think thats why this bike seems to attract me. Plus its so cool being so vintage but brand new at the same time.

Anyway, thanks again for the response. I'm looking forward to hearing from more of you!

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:10:53 pm
Welcome greekxj.  I'm pretty new here too.  I now have 126 miles on my '65' Bullet.

Your attitude towards maintenance and tinker seems about right for an RE.  However, I believe the newer aluminum engined Classics and so fourth won't require quite so much. 

You'll have to decide what you are going to do, but I can tell from my short time with the bike, the whole maintenance thing is overblown.  They simply aren't going to need all that much.  More than a Honda, yes.  But not a terrible amount.

The trans shifts as good as many older Japanese bikes.  Very few missed shifts.  It has a solid positive feel.

Hey thanks! I see your from Illinois too. Too bad you weren't a little closer so i could check that enfield out. Ah well, not like its nice out right now anyway >:(  I am in Oak Lawn which is like 3 miles from the Chicago south side border. I'm actually not even 10 minutes away from Midway airport. Which dealer did you happen to go through for your bike btw?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 12:55:18 am
I cant be positive on the date but I think its over now,maybe next month? I guess they will sell the remaining stock for a time , but who knows how many?  Have you been to this site? It's good bullet info.http://royal-enfield-bullet.com/Technical/technical.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:03:51 am by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 01:16:41 pm
I think they have officially stopped making the iron engine already. So if you want one, you'd better be quick, or least find one that you like and sweet talk the dealer into holding on to it for a test at least.

Don't buy something you don't want (of course) but don't wait too long either!

Oh, what you plan to do with the Enfield sounds just perfect. Enjoy. There is nothing better than putzing around on an Enfield  ;D
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 02:07:24 pm
I think they have officially stopped making the iron engine already. So if you want one, you'd better be quick, or least find one that you like and sweet talk the dealer into holding on to it for a test at least.

Don't buy something you don't want (of course) but don't wait too long either!

Oh, what you plan to do with the Enfield sounds just perfect. Enjoy. There is nothing better than putzing around on an Enfield  ;D

Wow, looks like there isn't too much time! So are the 08's the last models with the iron engines or are they just using a different metal for the engines? I thought it was like a new model year thing. Sound right or no?

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 03:35:56 pm
Please don't misinterpret this as a rant. I would just like to explain the nature of our beloved Royal Enfield Bullet. I haven't aimed this at anyone, but thought this a convenient spot to explain a few things.

We do exaggerate the maintenance requirements a bit. These are simple machines. But, they have a personality and soul of their own. They aren't appliances. That is what makes them so special. We get to touch them and get to know them intimately...(that is starting to sound suggestive!). Here the analogy ends.

A fair number of the problems we do have with the new bikes is due to improper or no maintenance. Or more seriously, misuse. I get numerous calls reporting a loud knocking noise and "is my engine shot?". These are almost always solved by a simple valve adjustment.

Then there is "My bike is squirting oil everywhere, is my engine blown?" which is usually solved by proper oil level maintenance and cleaning of the breather system.

"...Backfiring...running poorly" Timing and point settings, dirt in the fuel issues.

"...blue pipe..." Jetting.

"...Turns over with Electric start, won't fire..." weak battery, (sidestand down-Electra), Kill switch off, petcock off or fuel level into reserve,...

They are simple machines. and will serve well for a long time if we use them as they were designed at a slower time in history:
jim

BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 03:52:10 pm
The last of the iron barrel 500cc bikes will be built next month (Feb). We anticipate that they will be gone from our warehouse by June. When they are gone, they are gone forever. The new engine is not just new materials, but is different engine that looks similar. Among other things it has electronic ignition, an alloy cylinder barrel, bit higher compression, lower emissions and a CV carburetor. It is known as the "Lean-Burn" engine and was developed by AVL in Austria.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 05:34:12 pm
Welcome Greekxj!

> Now out of curiosity i was wondering about how well the clutch/transmission set up is?

Mine are working great. The shift is smooth and neutral is easy to find.
Clutch pull is not light, but not excessively heavy either (certainly not enough to cause discomfort).

> how about the drive train? Besides chains/sprockets etc.
At 3500 miles mine shows no discernable sprocket wear and the chain holds tension better than I expected on a new chain. Since you're careful with your maintenances you shouldn't expect any problems!

> I probably will end up doing an exhaust/intake mod if i get one too. But i gotta get one first ! I have my v star all jetted with intake/exhaust etc which was very easy to tune with the help of the star forum. How about the enfield, is it easy to get it dialed in? I see people changing out main/pilot jets but no mention of needle clip settings. Dont wanna sound dumb but does the carb have that set up or is it different?

All this depends upon how you do your performance upgrade: Whose kit you use, are you using the stock carb and modifying it or getting a kit-carb, etc.
Doing the upgrade shouldn't be any different that any other carburated bike.
As a single it should even be easier!
I've documented my upgrade at: http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/PerfUpgrade.htm

Matt

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 06:56:51 pm
The last of the iron barrel 500cc bikes will be built next month (Feb). We anticipate that they will be gone from our warehouse by June. When they are gone, they are gone forever. The new engine is not just new materials, but is different engine that looks similar. Among other things it has electronic ignition, an alloy cylinder barrel, bit higher compression, lower emissions and a CV carburetor. It is known as the "Lean-Burn" engine and was developed by AVL in Austria.

Thanks alot, i appreciate the heads up. So with the new design, will the overall look still be the same pretty much? I'm taking it the new style motors are designed to last a little longer too right? I am just trying to get as much info as i can to make a decision. I am however not against the iron motor, but definitely open to both ya know.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 07:02:15 pm
Welcome Greekxj!

> Now out of curiosity i was wondering about how well the clutch/transmission set up is?

Mine are working great. The shift is smooth and neutral is easy to find.
Clutch pull is not light, but not excessively heavy either (certainly not enough to cause discomfort).

> how about the drive train? Besides chains/sprockets etc.
At 3500 miles mine shows no discernable sprocket wear and the chain holds tension better than I expected on a new chain. Since you're careful with your maintenances you shouldn't expect any problems!

> I probably will end up doing an exhaust/intake mod if i get one too. But i gotta get one first ! I have my v star all jetted with intake/exhaust etc which was very easy to tune with the help of the star forum. How about the enfield, is it easy to get it dialed in? I see people changing out main/pilot jets but no mention of needle clip settings. Dont wanna sound dumb but does the carb have that set up or is it different?

All this depends upon how you do your performance upgrade: Whose kit you use, are you using the stock carb and modifying it or getting a kit-carb, etc.
Doing the upgrade shouldn't be any different that any other carburated bike.
As a single it should even be easier!
I've documented my upgrade at: http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/PerfUpgrade.htm

Matt

Hey thumper, i appreciate all the info. You have a nice bit of info to your site which should help others. Nice bike too. Yeah it looks like i have to make a decision soon. I might run up to the dealer tomorrow and see what he has and what kind of deals he has going etc.

With the performance stuff i was thinking of 2 kits. They are both kits on this site that come with an air filter, jets, and pipe. One i think is $160 and the other is $200+. One has a clamp on k+n and the other has the foam filter. Since the price is not that big of a difference i would probably go with the one that i think sounds the best. Any thoughts on pipe sound or the kits?  But thats all i would do with the bike performance wise. I would also remove all the emissions stuff too. so we'll see!