Author Topic: Coupla questions on new G5 Deluxe  (Read 8764 times)

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 04:01:12 am
Foggy, we have some questions for you.

What other motorcycle brands are you looking at and why?

Thanks everyone for all the input, it's appreciated. To answer the question posed here, I'm not really looking at any other bikes other than the RE right now. I will keep my Hinckley Bonneville T-100, and the Guzzi V7 Classic. I'm drawn to the heritage and styling of the RE, and as I find myself getting older, outright speed and HP don't mean so much anymore. My Bonnie makes about 69 HP, the V7 about 48 HP and the RE about 28 HP. I once had a Yamaha that made as much HP as all three added together, but, it wasn't any fun to ride at under triple digit speeds! Keep going in this direction and I'll be looking for a Rupp mini-bike soon!

I think I prefer the G5 over the C5 cause I like that black/chrome tank, stainless fender look of the G5. And the old styled script of the name on the tank in gold lettering. Not crazy about the side covers, it's a shame they say 'EFI' under the "Bullet' name. And those chrome hot dog warmers, well, I can paint them satin black. The main complaint I have against the C5 is the wheels/tires look out of place. The fenders are obviously made for a 19" wheel arc, so the 18" wheels look out of place. And, the tires are much too modern looking in the tread design. Granted, performance -wise they may be superior to the old SkidMasters, but visually, just don't look right. (to me).

If this were to be my only, or 'main' bike, I probably would go with the C5, but as a Sunday rider, I think the G5 would suit me better. And, it has a kick start just like my old Bonneville, back in the day.

One thing is sure, I have plenty of time to decide, winter is just getting started here on the US East Coast, and I probably won't be buying until Spring, unless I get a knock-out deal somewhere. There aren't any dealers here in Eastern PA, nearest one is in Marlton NJ, and he's a car dealer that just sells a few Enfields on the side.

Just want to say that this is a tremendous forum, I've spent hours reading past posts, looking at pictures of members bikes, etc.
Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 11:47:40 am
Even better.  Most of my time was spent with 2-strokes which weren't too bad but I have dueled with a few old cranky big-bore 4-strokes.  They did not like waking up in the morning.

Coulda been much worse.  I hear the all-time champion leg-killer was the old Sportsters with magnetos and something about a Linkert-made carburetor.

I just assume the UCE runs at pretty high compression so was expecting something pretty potent.  I guess the "cool" thing to do would be to use the electric start in the morning and the kickstarter after it's warmed up to show off.

Truer words were never spoken.
 Why we didn't fit compression releases is beyond me.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 03:14:34 pm
Sounds like you're already decided but the new C5 should have a 19" front wheel stock.  I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'.

If it weren't for the hot dog boxes and the side covers that look like 1970s pieces on the G5 I would have had a much tougher time deciding between the two.  Are you listening RE?

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31:19 am
And those chrome hot dog warmers, well, I can paint them satin black.
You won´t have to. The standart-G5 without much chrome comes with a black plastic design, you can just replace it. Anyway. lets go the whole hog - you could paint it red-yellow-gold-white! That would look very Indian and nobody would think about sausages anymore  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 06:46:50 am
Pics please if it not to much trouble.

Cheers,
Ice

gow720

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 05:31:27 am
I agree with you about the superior looks of the G5 over the C5, but I have a great fondness myself for that classicBrit sixties motorbike look of my youth (I'm English in UK). They seem generally to prefer the C5 look (fifties to my eye) in the USA.

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 10:04:02 pm
Few pictures in Members Rides page3,of single studded seat on my G5 500DL,
sorry not quit sure how to put them here. Ive ordered the old fashioned flat rack to go with it..
  John Hut
John Electra Deluxe Efi

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 10:00:58 pm
Ice,   Ive posted a few pictures inModifications picture galery,I removed the dual seat again and re fitted the single seat,I also fitted the flat rack Ive just bought from Hichcocks.  I refitted the dual seat so  I could take my partner out for the day ,
 swapping and changing takes less than an hour but you can see the dammage to the paint work but I can soon touch that up,I also refitted the grab rail to hold my tool roll .
  There is also a passenger pad available that fits on the flat rack..
     By the way ,the series of pictures are back to front,,,,I will get the hang of computers before long,,    Maybe my 6year old grandson can help...
           John Hut
John Electra Deluxe Efi

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 03:02:52 am
Cheers mate !