Author Topic: Coupla questions on new G5 Deluxe  (Read 8767 times)

foggy95

• Bulleteer
on: November 18, 2010, 02:32:03 am
Hi All  - not a Bullett owner yet, but hope to be soon. Current rides are '09 Triumph     T-100 and an '09 Guzzi V7 Classic. I guess I really prefer the 'classic' style of motorcycles.

I've been drawn to the Bullet 500 for some years now, but the only ride I ever had on one was about 10 years ago, the bike was hard to start, shifted poorly and almost had no brakes. No doubt most of this was due to poor set-up, (semi interested Honda dealer), but needless to say, I was not too impressed.

Now the new Bullets are here, with fuel injection, good brakes, and are just as handsome as the older ones. I prefer the G-5 for a couple of reasons; the full size 19" wheels and taller tires, full fenders, and the neat chrome/black paint scheme. The smaller wheels and tires with modern tread design of the C-5 just don't look right to me.

My questions 1) Can the 'hot dog' shaped bins and side covers be swapped for the more traditional looking triangular boxes of the C-5?  2). Can the dual seat of the G-5 be easily replaced with a solo seat with the springs, ala C-5?  I've read somewhere the two bikes have different frames so I wonder. Oh, I also prefer the G-5 because it retains the kicker!
Thanks for any advice/replies!
Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:01:42 pm
Hi Foggy!
Get yourself a G5 - you won´t regret it. On my way to RE I tested the Guzzi too, the decision was close. At the end the large number of aftermarket parts available was decisive. I thought, if anything doesn´t fit my personal taste I could alter it - only to recognize that the original state is very, very usuable and so it was not at all urgent to tinker.
You can alter the side covers (including the "sausage boxes"), but it´s a bit laborious. Some owners of the pre-unit Electra did do it, maybe you could find some hints in the forum´s classic section - the old Electra is very similar. You should have basic knowledge in electrics though, it´s necessary to rearrange some fuses.
However it is no problem at all to change the bench into a single seat - plenty of versions and qualities are available. But, as Will mentioned above, the cheaper variations demand more work, sometimes.
So get a test ride - after that I´m pretty sure your done  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:06:27 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 01:37:07 am
Flat black paint on the chrome pill will make it seem to disappear.

koncho75

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 06:21:10 am
Foggy,

As to the solo seat, just be ware that the G5 has a different sub frame to the C5. When you you remove the bench/dual seat and replace with the solo seat you will be left with part of the subframe exposed a top the rear fender. You could cover it with a luggae rack or something but i would rather remove it.

You will also need some mounting points for the seat springs which can be easily resolved with brackets (not sure if they come with most solo seats as the dealer looked after mine) that attach between the top of the rear shock and frame under rear of seat.

I had the solo seat installed at purchase a couple of months ago and still contemplating the best way to eliminate the rear subframe. Seems to be a few ideas around, rear fender struts being the most common. Seeing as though I don't have the facilities (inner city dweller) and my dealer doesnt do any real modification work im still trying to decide best way forward.

PS: im in the land down under and im not blessed with a thousand and one great bike shops to do the modifications for me.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:12:19 am
Regarding covering the rear sub frame  -  perhaps some throwover saddlebags? Side frames for these easily fitted
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 08:05:31 pm
Gonna dive in here myself as I can't really decide which of the two I like the best, either.  I guess one thing I do prefer about the C5 is the look of the engine casings. The G model just looks, I don't know, plainer, I guess. And like the OP, the sausage boxes, as you call them lack visual appeal to me also.  I think the flat black suggestion sounds like a practical fix.

I do, however, prefer the bench seat, something comparatively rare on current bikes but more like what I'm used to. Have you guys looked at the barely padded things they put on sportbikes these days?  My bicycles have better seats!

Somebody weigh in about how well the kicker works. And whether there's a compression release.  My aging right leg votes for electric start but it's always good to have a backup.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 08:25:51 pm
Somebody weigh in about how well the kicker works. And whether there's a compression release.  My aging right leg votes for electric start but it's always good to have a backup.

@Land Surveyor:

G5 is a dual start bike - it has both kick and electric start and both work fine.  You may choose to kick or rest your leg.  It does not have a manual compression release lever - it has an auto decompressor set up.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:29:05 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 08:44:55 pm
Even better.  Most of my time was spent with 2-strokes which weren't too bad but I have dueled with a few old cranky big-bore 4-strokes.  They did not like waking up in the morning.

Coulda been much worse.  I hear the all-time champion leg-killer was the old Sportsters with magnetos and something about a Linkert-made carburetor.

I just assume the UCE runs at pretty high compression so was expecting something pretty potent.  I guess the "cool" thing to do would be to use the electric start in the morning and the kickstarter after it's warmed up to show off.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 09:22:00 pm
I think if they got rid of the hot dog boxes they's eliminate all doubt about which bike people like.  I'm a C5 kinda guy myself but any more REs on the road are a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Also, make sure you ride them both before deciding.  They both have very different feel.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 10:26:02 pm
I'm a fan of the C5 because it reminds me very much of the bikes from the '40's that Ive had, The G5 don't do anything for me. Pick the one that makes you grin the most!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 10:35:47 pm
It must be our time frames that get stuck in our heads.  I want to like the C-model the best but keep being drawn to the G-model.  My "time" was the mid 70s, I guess.  Can't seem to find a comfortable spot to alight among all of the modern, overly-specialized bikes.
  As suggested, I will have to reserve judgment until I can at least sit on one.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:42:42 pm
Both C5 and G5 are retro, but the G5 is just too modern looking for me.   ;D

Since the C5's 1951 design and my birthyear are the same, it is a no-brainer that it is the vastly superior design!!   ;)

All seriousness aside, I like the G5 Classic (chrome-a-thon) look except for those hot dog bun warmers.  The C5's functionality makes more sense to me.  I do prefer the seating comfort more on the solo seat, too.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 10:43:03 pm
I have no doubt that one of the models will give you what you need, you'll know which one you want as soon as you sit on it  :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 11:33:38 pm
Oh, and the Deluxe model G5 minimizes tha appearance of the hot dog boxes with all the other chrome.  And it's a snappy looking bike besides that ;)

Scott

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 12:38:22 am
Foggy, we have some questions for you.

What other motorcycle brands are you looking at and why?

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 04:01:12 am
Foggy, we have some questions for you.

What other motorcycle brands are you looking at and why?

Thanks everyone for all the input, it's appreciated. To answer the question posed here, I'm not really looking at any other bikes other than the RE right now. I will keep my Hinckley Bonneville T-100, and the Guzzi V7 Classic. I'm drawn to the heritage and styling of the RE, and as I find myself getting older, outright speed and HP don't mean so much anymore. My Bonnie makes about 69 HP, the V7 about 48 HP and the RE about 28 HP. I once had a Yamaha that made as much HP as all three added together, but, it wasn't any fun to ride at under triple digit speeds! Keep going in this direction and I'll be looking for a Rupp mini-bike soon!

I think I prefer the G5 over the C5 cause I like that black/chrome tank, stainless fender look of the G5. And the old styled script of the name on the tank in gold lettering. Not crazy about the side covers, it's a shame they say 'EFI' under the "Bullet' name. And those chrome hot dog warmers, well, I can paint them satin black. The main complaint I have against the C5 is the wheels/tires look out of place. The fenders are obviously made for a 19" wheel arc, so the 18" wheels look out of place. And, the tires are much too modern looking in the tread design. Granted, performance -wise they may be superior to the old SkidMasters, but visually, just don't look right. (to me).

If this were to be my only, or 'main' bike, I probably would go with the C5, but as a Sunday rider, I think the G5 would suit me better. And, it has a kick start just like my old Bonneville, back in the day.

One thing is sure, I have plenty of time to decide, winter is just getting started here on the US East Coast, and I probably won't be buying until Spring, unless I get a knock-out deal somewhere. There aren't any dealers here in Eastern PA, nearest one is in Marlton NJ, and he's a car dealer that just sells a few Enfields on the side.

Just want to say that this is a tremendous forum, I've spent hours reading past posts, looking at pictures of members bikes, etc.
Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 11:47:40 am
Even better.  Most of my time was spent with 2-strokes which weren't too bad but I have dueled with a few old cranky big-bore 4-strokes.  They did not like waking up in the morning.

Coulda been much worse.  I hear the all-time champion leg-killer was the old Sportsters with magnetos and something about a Linkert-made carburetor.

I just assume the UCE runs at pretty high compression so was expecting something pretty potent.  I guess the "cool" thing to do would be to use the electric start in the morning and the kickstarter after it's warmed up to show off.

Truer words were never spoken.
 Why we didn't fit compression releases is beyond me.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 03:14:34 pm
Sounds like you're already decided but the new C5 should have a 19" front wheel stock.  I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'.

If it weren't for the hot dog boxes and the side covers that look like 1970s pieces on the G5 I would have had a much tougher time deciding between the two.  Are you listening RE?

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31:19 am
And those chrome hot dog warmers, well, I can paint them satin black.
You won´t have to. The standart-G5 without much chrome comes with a black plastic design, you can just replace it. Anyway. lets go the whole hog - you could paint it red-yellow-gold-white! That would look very Indian and nobody would think about sausages anymore  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 06:46:50 am
Pics please if it not to much trouble.

Cheers,
Ice

gow720

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 05:31:27 am
I agree with you about the superior looks of the G5 over the C5, but I have a great fondness myself for that classicBrit sixties motorbike look of my youth (I'm English in UK). They seem generally to prefer the C5 look (fifties to my eye) in the USA.

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 10:04:02 pm
Few pictures in Members Rides page3,of single studded seat on my G5 500DL,
sorry not quit sure how to put them here. Ive ordered the old fashioned flat rack to go with it..
  John Hut
John Electra Deluxe Efi

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 10:00:58 pm
Ice,   Ive posted a few pictures inModifications picture galery,I removed the dual seat again and re fitted the single seat,I also fitted the flat rack Ive just bought from Hichcocks.  I refitted the dual seat so  I could take my partner out for the day ,
 swapping and changing takes less than an hour but you can see the dammage to the paint work but I can soon touch that up,I also refitted the grab rail to hold my tool roll .
  There is also a passenger pad available that fits on the flat rack..
     By the way ,the series of pictures are back to front,,,,I will get the hang of computers before long,,    Maybe my 6year old grandson can help...
           John Hut
John Electra Deluxe Efi

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 03:02:52 am
Cheers mate !