Author Topic: best tyres for the RE?  (Read 6340 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 02:46:31 pm
I've always had good luck with the Dunlop K70's
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:53:12 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 02:58:54 pm
I love the Dunlop Ks. I have the Shinkos mentioned previously on my 77 Sportster. The tread and riding feel is similar to the Dunlops during the summer, but now it's cold there's a big difference. The Dunlops on the RE are still grippy but the Shinkos feel hard and I'm not real confident on them. I can spin the tire from a start and that's not a power thing it's lack of stick on cold asphalt.

I guess it comes down to price versus all-weather grip.
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 03:20:16 pm
I love the Dunlop Ks. I have the Shinkos mentioned previously on my 77 Sportster. The tread and riding feel is similar to the Dunlops during the summer, but now it's cold there's a big difference. The Dunlops on the RE are still grippy but the Shinkos feel hard and I'm not real confident on them. I can spin the tire from a start and that's not a power thing it's lack of stick on cold asphalt.
I guess it comes down to price versus all-weather grip.

Price does matter but a little common sense goes a long way....
I do sometimes ride the cold frosty mornings on country oiled roads and asphalt. These sound like they would do better in the south where it's a little warmer.
   I'll keep looking- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 03:39:36 am
Further to my search for V-Rubber tyres in Thailand, the first response to my inquiries was the 2 favourite words in Thai retailing - mai mee or literally no have. This could mean I do not know and am too lazy to find out, do not know and do not want to look stupid and lose face so it is easier to say mai mee, phoned the wharehouse and got mai mee so either of the foregoing is possible, could not be bothered dealing with the foreigner, on backorder, or quite possibly really not available.

After weeks of asking, it turns out that the front is the VRM-191 pattern is available at 2500 B or 83.00 USD, but the rear in the same design is mai mee. When pressed that the rear is a new size per their website, and she should really recheck, the excuse it that the website is wrong.
This could mean mai mee (as defined above) or a face saving excercise.

I give up and will have to import some performance tyres.

I really do not feel so bad as my friends here tell me that V-Rubber tyres are cheap in the true English meaning of the word.

Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 04:28:23 am
That sucks  :P

No matter where you go, there, you are.