Author Topic: Ok Ok I did it, overheated my 500.  (Read 3563 times)

widegauge

• Scooter
on: November 16, 2010, 04:53:39 am
I know the rules dont speed on an enfield but I was in a hurry needed to get across town in a flash. so I decided to use the freeway.  I knew that I didn't have much time but I decided to try.  I was going about 65mph for about 15mins and the bike started to slow down like I was pressing on the break.  I mean SLOWED down hard.  I pulled over and kicked it a couple of times and she started back up but it sounded bad.  it was running fine but had a heavy tinging sound in the bottom end. sounded like the valves when that start to talk but half as fast of a rhythm.  I got back home and parked it.  waited till the next day and tried to started again. and again it started just fine, ran just fine, sounded just fine, except for the banging. 

Well guys do I need to crack it open?  and what do you think it is? the crank bearings?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 05:34:49 am
How old or new is your bike ?  A couple of things you can change - Spark plug and oil.  Check the cylinder compression and look for any leaks.  There may be damage to piston rings, valves, head gasket or crank bearings.  May need to examine inside the engine. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

widegauge

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:53:17 am
the bike is a 2005 has about 3000 miles on it. plug is new as of last week and changed the oil the day before I overheated it.  oil is leaking at the head gasket but that is pretty normal.  I am afraid that I am going to have to crack it open.  not looking forward to that though.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:54:50 am
You need to at least pull the head and the jug, and check them out.

My guess is that you'll see heavy scoring on the walls of the piston.  If there is scoring like that on the piston, then it needs a new piston and bore on some oversize size that you can decide on.

When you have the jug off, you can check to see if there is any perceptible up/down play in the rod bearing. If there is,then the engine must come out, and you have to split the cases and the crank to replace that bearing. If that is the case, you should replace all the bearings in tthe engine cases when you have it apart.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:33:47 pm
Before you start pulling the jug etc, do a quick check to make sure the valves are in correct adjustment. I had a similar experience with my 2003 after some slight "overexuberance". Good luck.
Robert and REnfield, MI.

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 12:22:00 am
I put my 07 military through her paces this summer up in northern Wisconsin, it was about 40-50 degrees out the whole time just for reference...

I was on a trip from Lake Namekagon to Copper Falls, and the roads are DAMN NICE up there... on the way there it was cooler and I took it pretty easy, a few short blasts of 65-70-75....

However, on the way home I was in the mood for some more speed... Bike had been running great lately so i figured lets finish breaking her in... (HA)

I got her up to about 65-70 and kept her there for around the same amount of time, maybe 20 minutes, maybe a little more. This was back country roads though, so on some of the curves I had to slow down, and there was a stopsign at the turn off onto county M... so it wasnt a consistent slam but more like 3 or 4 runs of around 70mph... she sounded ok the whole time... perhaps a little looser in the valves...

I got back to my families place and noticed a somewhat funny "hot" smell coming from the bike, and a good amount of oil had seeped out from the side of the engine...

I cleaned up the oil and started it back up and she ran fine... I let it cool off before riding again and since then there has ben no noticeable problems...

Hopefully your valves just got overworked and are just out of alignment, HOPEFULLY!

Do what these guys say, adjust your valves, change your oil, and spark plug.. then see how she runs. if its still not right,then you may have done deeper damage...

GOOD LUCK!
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 07:21:45 am
These motors are tough in many ways and delicate in others.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed that its only a re torque and valve adjustment.

Let us know.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

widegauge

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 07:32:34 am
well sounds like I have a new photo opportunity taking apart my bike.  I will keep you all posted on the progress and photos.

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 04:33:29 pm
Hello fellow "Hot Heads"

I've overheated my bullet 65 too. First occasion was when I was on a NH highway posted for 55 but all traffic was going 65. I did too for about 20 minutes. Got off onto secondary roads and slowed down until I hit a hill and then I had to turnup the gas and I had the same sensation. It was just like some unseen thing started to apply the brakes. I got it into neutral and pulled over to the side of the road and stopped. The engine quit on it's own and I turned the ign. off.

Decided I'd done serious damage and callled for a roadside pickup. After 15 mins.  I thought I'd try Buzzy again to see if it would start. What do ya know, It fired up fine and I called to cancel the emergency pickup. I rode it the 25 miles or so home a little slower.

Ran fine after that and I did the normal things like oil and filter changes etc. The only time I had anything like it again was during a long hill climb. Buzzy wouldn't do it in 5th and I had to change down to 4th and after that all was fine. Each time I had the heated smell which told me the top of the engine was where the heat was. Waiting 10 to 15 minutes allowed it to cool enough to be safe to ride thereafter. If your bike runs OK I wouldn't go tearing into it unless there is serious problems with running. Mine sounds and runs fine. I've got 3 or 4 thousand miles on it since.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 09:10:51 pm
Hey. Check the oil level in the gear box...mine did the same thing..right before the rear wheel locked up.    >:( ???  Also check to see f you have ATF (tranny) fluid in the prim chain..mine didn't and it caused the friction plates in the clutch to..HEAT and bog the engine.   ??? 8)
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 09:19:29 pm
Use to go to Park Falls..Copper Falls as a kid huntin deer...love that area.  Good advice man too. Overheatin is like dehydration...lack of fluids.  8)

I was on a trip from Lake Namekagon to Copper Falls, and the roads are DAMN NICE up there... on the way there it was cooler and I took it pretty easy, a few short blasts of 65-70-75....

However, on the way home I was in the mood for some more speed... Bike had been running great lately so i figured lets finish breaking her in... (HA)

I got her up to about 65-70 and kept her there

Do what these guys say, adjust your valves, change your oil, and spark plug.. then see how she runs. if its still not right,then you may have done deeper damage...

GOOD LUCK
[/quote]
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 04:48:54 am
Crack it open.  Exploratory surgery is the only way to figure this one out ???

widegauge

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 06:48:28 am
well it took me forever to get to it but I opened her up.  and it is a broken piston ring. and the piston is pretty messed up but every thing else looks fine.  so anyone what I parts bike? 

I might fix her up but I just don't have the money now and I dont want her to set around till I do.

I also barter if no one has any cash.

abe

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 03:06:00 pm
where are you located?

thanks,
abe

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 08:36:51 pm
If what you say is accurate about the damage, your only about  $300 in the hole. Stock piston ,rings, gasket, done. Why dump it, you know what you did wrong, right? So don't do that again.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

widegauge

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 10:17:25 pm
my other ride is a 67 falcon and I have dumped all my money in that so the wife is already ready to kill me anyway so I dont want to push my luck.

widegauge

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 10:17:47 pm
Jacksonville Florida is my location.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 12:13:58 am
my other ride is a 67 falcon and I have dumped all my money in that so the wife is already ready to kill me anyway so I dont want to push my luck.
Ahh, I hear ya on that one. I've been "Breeding in captivity" for 35 years now.....
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.