Author Topic: I Love Beer !  (Read 11023 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 09:00:55 pm
OK I checked it out. I don't like the look of that "booster" shite. And if you're going to make a full five gallon brew, you WONT want to be cleaning forty bottles  - trust me.
Also with bottles - they can explode as pressure builds up inside, particularly if you use a crown capper and proper bottle tops.
Brew it in a five gallon brewing bucket, then transfer it to a barrel. Don't add any crap - just the malt and hops from the can - sometimes two if want it fruity but best to spend more and get a good one, a couple pounds of sugar - muscavado if you like really strong flavour, yeast, and finings when it goes into the barrel - cloudy beer tastes wrong.
Gas build up in the barrel will enable the beer to be drawn, and you have to add a bit of gas later when the vacuum prevents the beer coming through the tap.
Call me when it's ready.  ;)

A U-Brew facility is the way to go. They have everything you need including copper kettles and you can keg your beer instead of tapping it.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 09:11:25 pm
when I was in Scotland, I discovered Tennants lager,,,x-cellent. Being weaned on Butwiper, it actually had taste .  alas although available in the states, the thrill is gone, no comparison to the draft, or the pubs they were served in. I don't know how they muck up the guiness coming to the states, it is NOT the beer i quafed at Heathrow, waiting for a plane. Great lakes Brewing is making some fine beers, although, I have to warn you, I have pee'd many times in that lake .
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 10:05:27 pm
 I think I will give it a try,... Will. Whats booster? The one I was checking out was a 2 Gallon... thing. Here it is.
http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/139
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 10:09:01 pm
A U-Brew facility is the way to go. They have everything you need including copper kettles and you can keg your beer instead of tapping it.
How does it work? Do you bring your own Stuff?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 10:15:24 pm
Not too keen on keg beer  -  you have to pump it full of CO2 to get it out and you get a lot of fizz. If you make real ale - put it in a barrel (cask) - the gas just goes on top to keep it fresh and allow it to flow out the tap. Just my preference.

As for Tennants - did you get into the Super Lager? 9%ABV!  serious falling down water, and the mother of all hangovers......  
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 10:20:19 pm
Indeed  -  what's booster? I saw it on the youtube demo, never seen it otherwise.
You should be able to get all the ingredients supplied in the one can - malt and hops, it's thick brown gloop. Only water, sugar and yeast needs to be added. A hydrometer is useful to be sure it's ready to bottle or barrel.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:25:10 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 10:28:12 pm
Sorry folks, I almost missed this threat  :o
Behind this wonderfull bike you can see one of the most important plants: hops. Northwest of Munich, about 70km, there is the biggest area for growing hops on our planet: the Holledau. It´s quite complicated to grow it, it needs a special soil and demands mild temperatures. The Monastry Andechs Prof.Stack was talking about and the brewery Weihenstephan are located on the verge of this area. Both are very recomendable. I´d like to add my personal favorite as a tipp: Augustiner, the last independent Munich brewery.
Prost Freunde!
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 11:45:47 pm
How does it work? Do you bring your own Stuff?

If there is a U- Brew facility in your area give em a call to find out prices. They should have all the supplies, equipment and recipes. The one located where I live (Gallagher's Where You Brew) actually produces a number of fine beers to sell to local restaurants,pubs and public. They have a tasting room so you can come in and try, buy or brew your own. They will sell anything from a  growler (1/2 gallon) to a pony keg of the beers they produce for you take home.

2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 11:59:17 pm
     Now this is a thread I can sink my teeth into...
     One of the best I ever had was Kiwi Lager, imported from New Zealand of course. The brewery was purchased by some European conglomerate which promptly deleted it to make Heineken. The same thing happened here in Olympia. The brewery was purchased by Miller, then the brand was dumped for the mass market.
     Even American brews such as Pabst and Shlitz were good beers before Big Corporate take-overs.
     Alas, I can't drink much. It really aggravates my gout. I really hate the feeling of broken glass in my ankle. I have to plan a day or two in advance, to load up on cherry fruit extract-a dietary supplement that helps deal with uric acid. Even then a six-pack a month is my limit.
     Luckily, there is Chianti!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 12:45:44 am
If there is a U- Brew facility in your area give em a call to find out prices. They should have all the supplies, equipment and recipes. The one located where I live (Gallagher's Where You Brew) actually produces a number of fine beers to sell to local restaurants,pubs and public. They have a tasting room so you can come in and try, buy or brew your own. They will sell anything from a  growler (1/2 gallon) to a pony keg of the beers they produce for you take home.

Yea, definitely something to look into. Probably worth it to have someone show you whats what for the first go around. Great Idea !
  Vince, I think there still making Pabst somewhere? They use to make it here, In Newark NJ, they just knocked the plant down a few years ago. Chianti IS good, my grandfather use to make it, that or dago red ;) in his basement. He had one of those old crank handle/screw wine presses. Probably got thrown out >:(

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 01:31:09 am
You can get Guinness at Fenway Park too.  Run you about 8 or 9 bucks per not-quite-a-pint.  Thank God we don't do cricket here or I'd be broke.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #41 on: November 17, 2010, 01:41:52 am
At home the best you can do is to sanitize.  Bleach is cheap, it works, and if you're careful about sanitation of your equipment, all should be fine in that area.

Cleaning bottles is not that bad if you have a "jet-wash" device for your faucet.  I bottled dozens of 5-gallon batches and never did a bottle break or crack.  Just pay attention to the amount of priming sugar you use. 

But going to 5-gallon kegs (soda-pop variety) was much better, easier, faster to carbonation, and more professional tasting.

The one key that I found most important in 20 years of brewing was to make sure the yeast supply was plentiful and healthy (the buggers mutate after awhile).  With a healthy dose of yeast, they win the battle to eat the maltose and poop out alcohols (different types, actually) and B vitamins.  Drink that sediment, it's good for you.  Really.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: November 17, 2010, 02:38:16 am
 Do you use regular tap water for the brew or botled?  Does it matter?

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 04:32:29 am
Do you use regular tap water for the brew or botled?  Does it matter?

Tap water typically gives a more interesting flavor than distilled or filtered water.  I used Seattle tap water for all the brewing stuff.  But places with really mineral-ly water might have to make adjustments, I don't know.

Funny how this thread is busy but the UCE section is really quiet.  I wonder if weather has anything to do with it?   :D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: November 17, 2010, 04:56:56 am
Funny how this thread is busy but the UCE section is really quiet.  I wonder if weather has anything to do with it?   :D

Sometime back, I had noticed that too that UCE section is winding down or it has repeats of the same things, but I didn't want to jinx.  

shhh.  don't let the UCE hear it - They are running fine  :D.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:16:13 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5