Author Topic: the good life  (Read 4106 times)

GrumpierGrunt

• Scooter
  • I would much rather be on my 1974 Kawasaki H2B
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 09:11:42 pm
Well hell, Im right on the other side of the Goethels. Born and raised in Elizabeth. Live a bit further west now, not much. We'll hook up sometime.

thats awesome! what kind of enfield do you have?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 10:09:02 pm
 An 09' Black C-5. Funny you mention the rarity of seeing a RE in our area, I was shocked the other day to see a AVL and a Dnepr in my town. Go figure. I'm playing the lottery. :D
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 11:01:21 pm
Welcome to the RE brotherhood!

Damn all i had at 17 was a bicycle to get me wherever I needed to go! Good show, picking an RE... get ready for questions upon questions upon questions upon questions........
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

GrumpierGrunt

• Scooter
  • I would much rather be on my 1974 Kawasaki H2B
Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 11:10:33 pm
Welcome to the RE brotherhood!

Damn all i had at 17 was a bicycle to get me wherever I needed to go! Good show, picking an RE... get ready for questions upon questions upon questions upon questions........

thank you!, but this bike took about 3 years of saving up every dime i had, i worked odd jobs a paper route and mad some cash working seasonal jobs

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:19 pm
Hard Work does Pay Off!!!!!

Good Going Man!

RIDE SAFE!
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 11:44:17 pm
Nice job and great bike GG. Welcome aboard.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 02:50:18 pm
Congrats on your new ride!  I was on a Honda CL90 when I was 17.  I could wind it out in 2nd gear and get it to 29mph!   :D  Sort of a built in safety governor!

But back then I was indestructable and rode the Honda, with half-shell helmet, in all types of weather.  Slipping on ice and seeing a huge scratch on the helmet made it clear that helmets were worth wearing (in a time when it wasn't mandatory).

I too had a dad who rode who gave me lots of good advice.  So listen to your old man and remember that you are invisible out there.  Oh yeah, also do your HS homework.   ;)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 04:05:08 pm
At 17 I was riding a '68 Harley 250 Sprint, I still grin when I think about that old lump. Ride like you are naked and the cagers are blind, that's just about the way it is these days. Have fun and eat lots of bugs :D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:07:38 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 04:23:28 pm
guess it's time for the wimps to fess up. At 17 I was riding a Lambretta TV175 with all the panels taken off, and a BSA Bantam. Occasionally a Triumph Tiger Cub and an old Francis Barnett, model unknown, mostly grease & rust. Bothbelonged to mates. Bought the Tiger Cub later.

Enjoy your new Enfield Grump. Plenty of sound advice above without me adding to it.
Just ride safe. The ride's the thing.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:39:42 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 11:37:39 pm
Welcome, Grump.

At 17 I wanted a motorcycle so badly that I could taste it. I had to settle for my Dad's 1968 Fiat 600D for transport. A pregnant roller skate of a four wheel abomination, but it got 45 M.P.G and was as simple to work on as a lawn mower.

The M.P.G. was no real factor back then when a Gallon of "push-water" only cost about thirty-five cents,  It did allow me to save up my meager earnings from the University Library where I worked after school for sixty-eight cents per hour. Shortly after I turned eighteen I bought a Harley-Davidson M-50.  ;D Brand New It only cost one hundred seventy-five bucks back then.  8) After owning the M-50 for a couple of weeks, my Dad found out about it. (after I wiped out in the gravel while turning into our driveway and ruined my good jacket)  I had to sell the bike for a seveny-five dollar loss.  :'(

My Dad Hated motorcycles. His brother in Chattanooga had been a Harley rider since the mid-ninteen thirties.  Dad had to see to my uncle getting patched up after several crashes. Fortunately most of my "bike blunders" were covered by "Workman's Comp"
Well, I am a confirmed and unapologetic Motorcycle addict who remembers the pain and rides carefully.
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 11:50:00 pm
Hey Grump,
Don't roll your eyes at all these old dudes. Remember, they're the ones that made motorcycles cool in the first place. ;)
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120