Author Topic: G5 Oil Leak  (Read 7213 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 03:37:22 am
Glad to hear it!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 01:57:47 pm
:D

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 04:42:08 pm
I removed both drain plugs, cleaned and inspected the old o-ring, small plate and drain plug, didn't find anything out of the ordinary.  Put everything back together using a new o-ring.  I used just a dab of silicone grease on the o-ring only.  Did  not use any gasket sealer on anything else.  I tightened the hell out of the two 8mm screws hoping that would help stop the leak.  Started the scooter and ran it for approx one hour, everything looked good.  This morning there is a small spot of oil under the scooter in the area of the small plate with two screws.   

My previous post in this thread regarding the drip pan and kitty litter is based on a converstion I had with the local RE dealer.  I mentioned to him that the scooter had a small leak.  He told me "Oh haven't you every owned a British bike before, they all leak oil"

I would really appreciate any positive suggestions.  If anyone could tell me the recommended torque value for the two 8 mm bolts and the drain plug, it would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Terry     
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 04:54:09 pm
Tightening the hell out of it is a good way to strip threads and cause leaks!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 05:15:14 pm
Guy I work with bought a new Harley and was using it to come to work every day.    After about a week he noticed what appeared to be a weep and drip coming from someplace on the case, it persisted for quite a few days.    Being under warranty he brought it to the shop and they checked it out.. No leak..

A week later it was weeping again,  same place.   Brought it into the shop and they split the case, redid the seals etc..     It stopped leaking for about a week and then started up again from a different location..       At this point he was in the office complaining about it and said he was going  to bring the bike back as a lemon. 

That afternoon when he got back to the office he found a small oil can in his cube,  someone had been jerking his chain for about 2 months..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 05:48:25 pm
 COLD BLOODED !!.  Who did he piss off?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 06:20:17 pm
Reminds me of a story about some jerks tossing small nuts and washers near a motorcycle so the rider sees them when he gets back to his bike.

On our vibrating thumpers, this could be nerve-wracking !   >:(
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 06:58:42 pm
That afternoon when he got back to the office he found a small oil can in his cube,  someone had been jerking his chain for about 2 months..

That qualifies for justifiable homicide in some circles....
Any other Enfields in New England?

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 07:20:12 pm
Back to the thread,

Does your G5 have the new oil filter cap with built in spring loader?  If not, perhaps that will solve the problem.  The Nfield catalog has it on sale now, I think.

If so, then back to the thread replies...
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.