Author Topic: G5 Oil Leak  (Read 7212 times)

Hobgoblin

• Scooter
on: November 11, 2010, 10:57:28 pm
I just completed the first oil and filter change on my 2010 G5 Deluxe after 350 trouble-free miles. (I used Amsoil 20W50 full synthetic.) I then rode the bike for approximately 50 miles. The next morning, I noticed a small puddle of oil on the garage floor under the engine. When I looked under the engine, I discovered that oil droplets were forming on one of the two retaining bolts for the cover over the filter screen (i.e., the rear-most bolt only ..... the other bolt was clean and dry). Has anyone had a similar experience after an oil change? Any idea what might be causing this oil leak?

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 11:15:24 pm
Any idea what might be causing this oil leak?

The lack of thread sealant on the bolts?
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 11:24:49 pm
Could be a pinched O ring.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 02:20:39 am
Mine leaks a few drops, just like yours, keeps the rust away.  I just put a pan with kitty litter under it and call it good.   
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 07:17:22 am
You like me are using full synthetic which is fairly more thin than all them dead dinosaurs.  Perhaps a little bit of sealant is in order.

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 03:41:26 pm
I'm using Mobil 1 full synth 10w40, no leaks.  Full synth is more prone to leaking from small gaps than dino oil but first I'd suspect a pinched o-ring, loose bolt, or tiny piece of grit somewhere on the sealing surface.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 05:46:01 pm
I'm using Mobil 1 full synth 10w40, no leaks.  Full synth is more prone to leaking from small gaps than dino oil but first I'd suspect a pinched o-ring, loose bolt, or tiny piece of grit somewhere on the sealing surface.

Scott

+1
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 06:12:37 pm
Of course to check this you'd need to remove the cover which would drain all the oil. :(  If you don't want to buy new oil just get a clean aluminum disposable baking pan at the grocery store.  Then you can collect the oil and put it back into the engine if you want, without the contamination of whatever gunk live in your normal drain pan.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 01:07:53 am
Of course to check this you'd need to remove the cover which would drain all the oil. :(  If you don't want to buy new oil just get a clean aluminum disposable baking pan at the grocery store.  Then you can collect the oil and put it back into the engine if you want, without the contamination of whatever gunk live in your normal drain pan.
Scott
Scotty, are you sure that ALL the oil would drain out of the oil filter cover?  Isn't most of the oil lower down in the motor?  If the bike is on the side stand I would think that removing the oil filter cap would not cause an exodus of oil.

But, please correct me if I'm incorrect here.  Thanks.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 04:11:27 pm
Not sure, but if you used a small pan, then yes, I'm sure ALL the oil would drain out.  If you used a large pan I'm sure it would only be some. ;)

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 02:25:35 am
Remember that before the oil change there was no leak. It relates to something you did or didnt do. My guess is an O-Ring pinch as well. Use some grease to hold them in place while you replace them.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 07:26:13 am
Mine leaks a few drops, just like yours, keeps the rust away.  I just put a pan with kitty litter under it and call it good.   

Stress not an option  ;D
2010 C5 - Red

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 05:15:22 pm
My AVL engine with 3 drain plugs and a British design oil filter, don't leak a drop.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 06:12:04 pm
My AVL engine with 3 drain plugs and a British design oil filter, don't leak a drop.

Shhhh!  Don't let it hear you! ;)

Hobgoblin

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 12:02:42 am
Problem solved ..... however, I'm still not sure what caused the oil leak. Maybe the original O-ring did get pinched, as several of you suggested, but there was no evidence of that.  Nevertheless, I replaced the O-ring and slapped everything back together.  I'm happy to report that, after 60 miles of riding, the bottom of my engine is clean and dry. Thanks very much to everyone who responded to my post with suggestions. The US RE Community is fantastic.