Author Topic: New guy with some new owner questions.  (Read 3823 times)

MacGyverGTP

• Neophyte
on: November 08, 2010, 04:29:11 am
I just bought a 2009 RE G5 Military (had 4500 miles on it), I've only owned her 6 days so far, but I am loving it!  The uniqueness of it is what got me interested & after test driving her, well... love at first drive would be an understatement.

I also own a Yamaha Warrior & have had a Yamaha FZR 400 & CBR F3.  The RE really reminds me of the FZR400, so easy to drive.

I've got a few newbie questions though & was hoping I could get them addressed here.  
1, it's a UCE Engine but still has the Kick starter.  I don't have compression release or choke, so all the reading I have done on how to kick start is all on the older engine.
I can get it started by kicking about 30% of the time before i give in & use the electric start.  Anyone have tips to help my consistancy?
On the same subject, when I am not on the center stand, the kick starter doesn't engage at all, basically it just pushes all the way down without turning the engine.
It's only sometimes, but when it happens, i don't know how to get it to re-engage.  What's the trick?

2. around 60mph, somtimes the speedometer sways back & forth a lot, sometimes it doesn't.  is this just from vibration? I havn't done much testing.

3. I can't tell if it's valve noise or what, but do these engines get noisy above 50mph?
almost sounds like a sharp clacking but not detonation like in nature.   At lower speeds & short shifting, I never hear it. Normal?

Thanks for any help!
-Sean
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:31:48 am by MacGyverGTP »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:43:29 pm
1. Can't help much as I don't have a kick starter except to say that there is an automatic decompressor that kicks in below 250RPM.  It makes starting the engine esier on you and the electric starte motor.

2. Check the connection of the speedo cable at the wheel.  When mine starts to come loose it behaves exactly as you describe.  If that fails make sure it's lubricated well.

3. Yup, there's some noise.  Air cooled engines go through a wider range of temperatures than water cooled engines so the tolerances on all the parts are looser to accomodate this.  Also, water in the engine damps some of the noise.  If you're at all concerned swing by your local dealer and ask him to take it for a spin and a listen.  If it's fine they'll tell you so.

Welcome!

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 03:04:09 pm
The motor won't start with the side-stand down, so maybe that is what is causing the no-start when you kick it over.

+1 on the speedo connection at the wheel.  Mine was all the way loose.  I put a small amount of blue threadlocker on it and hand-tightened it.

Noisy motor?  Get a louder pipe!   ;)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

MacGyverGTP

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 05:09:20 pm
Thanks for the replies!  I suspected the noises were normal.  When I drove her home from the dealer I never got up above 50mph so never really noticed it.
I'm familiar with the side stand, the dealer pointed that out to me.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease.  I'll have the dealer take her for a  spin next time I am down near him.

-Sean

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:11:48 pm
I have the same bike. Disable the sidestand lockout by simply unbolting the unit, turn it back to front, bolt it back up and zip tie the lead out out the way. Enable the headlight switch by pulling the headlight. You'll see about a 6" jumper between two plugs. Remove the jumper, reconnect the plugs, and you have a headlight switch. Kickstarting: be aware that the motor has to cycle twice before it will fire. So, ease it past 2 compression cycles. With the autodecompressor you'll feel the compression increase and then a puff as it's released. Ease just past the poof 3rd time around and kick it hard. Mine is down to first kick with this procedure. If it's cool, I need the throttle advance on the left side. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask and make sure the oil level just registers in the sight glass, level, cold. Any more and you will foul your air filter. Also, kickstarting it hot is a bear. I usually use the electric start if it's been sitting for a moment, and then I need throttle to clear it to fire.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:45:33 am
jjoe256 KNOWS, too ............... ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:17:04 am
2. Check the connection of the speedo cable at the wheel.  When mine starts to come loose it behaves exactly as you describe.  If that fails make sure it's lubricated well.

What he said.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 05:20:53 am
Kick start.......find Top Dead Center(TDC). Do this by firmly (slowly) pushing the kick lever till it becomes firm. Now push a little more.,.. release......Now give it a good ,firm , kick.

It should come to life, no need for E-Start.
2008 Electra ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:06:08 pm
I have the same bike, same thing jjoe said.  The bike is great.  The clacking is just valve noise and no one can hear it but you, all your friends will say that the bike sounds awesome when you lay on it, alot cooler in fact than their goldwings, but I digress.  Nothing wrong with you bike at all.  Perhaps in stead of flipping the side stand switch you could simply remove it like I did.  Follow the wire back and you will find a connection that is easily separated, pull the plug remove the switch, put something over the end ov the wire  that is left on the bike and tie it off to something, oh and remember to raise the side stand before roaring off.

Enjoy,

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 11:53:42 am
I completely agree with Ragmas.

Nothing sounds like a Bullet.

BTW: The exhaust note of the stock UCE is much deeper and higher volume than the Iron Barrel even when its hot pipe is removed.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gow720

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 05:33:13 am
Remove the jumper, reconnect the plugs, and you have a headlight switch.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 05:57:22 am
No matter where you go, there, you are.