Author Topic: Forum access getting tough  (Read 368 times)

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #15 on: March 24, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
Server storage space rental is likely an ongoing expenditure. I'm guessing that there's a way that stored pictures can be resized to 1 meg automagically.

1 Meg is pretty large for a JPEG. In any case, deleting them takes up 0 Meg. 😄
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: March 25, 2024, 09:05:38 pm
Much gratitude to you and the folks at Hitchcock's! 🙏 I agree with some other commenters that, at the very least, perhaps there could be a "donate to help the forum" option available, or something similar, to allow those of us who so greatly value this place to be able to do a little something to help out.

Thank you for the message, I have had a few members suggest similar over the weekend, and it is a very kind suggestion and is much appreciated. 

However, Hitchcocks are going to continue supporting this forum without external advertisements or asking anything from members. The forum gives us great support from members using Hitchcocks for their parts/accessories needs. This in itself helps to justify the running costs of the forum and we are pleased to be able to offer the platform for all RE enthusiasts.

Regards,
Dan

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: March 25, 2024, 09:13:13 pm
I wonder if we should delete all the "Out and about" threads. Photos taken up a lot of storage, and does anyone really look at them? How many times? They are surely of little value compared with all the other threads.

Any thoughts?

I realise this is probably too late, now that Hitchcocks has paid for more storage already.

The upgrade we have now moved to gives us a lot of extra storage, so there should be a lot of "breathing room" now. Moving forward, I will look at reducing the image size that can be uploaded to something a little more sensible (currently 8MB).

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 25, 2024, 09:22:23 pm
Thank you, Dan. You efforts to keep the forum up and running is much appreciated.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #19 on: March 25, 2024, 11:13:42 pm
Having our pictures uploaded to an image hosting web site and hot-linking to them rather than uploading the actual picture here would help.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #20 on: March 26, 2024, 02:01:02 am
Hitchcock's is kindly absorbing the additional Forum costs. Let's throw some business their way, it's only equitable. - ACR -

xxxxxxxxx

Hello,
Thank you for the message, I have had a few members suggest similar lines, and it is a very kind suggestion and is much appreciated. However, Hitchcocks are going to continue supporting this forum without external advertisements and would not want to go down the subscription route. The forum gives us great support from members using Hitchcocks for their parts/accessories needs. This in itself helps to justify the running costs of the forum and we are pleased to be able to offer the platform for all RE enthusiasts.
Regards,
Dan
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.