Author Topic: C5 - Intermittent Fuse Blowing  (Read 5231 times)

raycopper

• Scooter
on: November 04, 2010, 04:09:09 pm
My 2010 C5 has started blowing fuses randomly. Has covered 2500 since Sep 1st. Fuse blowing has only occurred at a standstill, I thought when selecting 1st gear. Noticed yesterday that as I wheeled the bike backwards, the side lights were 'flashing' briefly as if their power was being dragged down to earth. Fuse didn't blow

I suspect the neutral switch may be shorting to earth, but cannot find whats causing this.

Any other ideas folks?

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:57:11 pm
 Which fuse blows? On what circuit? There's a wiring diagram in your owners manual.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:18:24 pm
Sounds like you need to take that bike to your dealer for a look-see - before the intermittent problem goes "nuke-you-ler" .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:51:01 pm
Hard to say which circuit is blowing the fuse, pages 92 & 93 in my handbook are blank. Indian charm. I have a block of 6 20amp fuses. If you take first 3 as unused, it is #4 that blows (hope that makes some sense to someone) :)

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 06:37:12 pm
 Unless it's something obvious, and it don't sound like it is, I would listen to bob.If he's telling you to take it in, I'd take it in.

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 06:56:53 pm
Unless it's something obvious, and it don't sound like it is, I would listen to bob.If he's telling you to take it in, I'd take it in.

Sound advice, ta
2010 C5 - Red

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 08:05:04 pm
My 2010 C5 has started blowing fuses randomly. Has covered 2500 since Sep 1st. Fuse blowing has only occurred at a standstill, I thought when selecting 1st gear. Noticed yesterday that as I wheeled the bike backwards, the side lights were 'flashing' briefly as if their power was being dragged down to earth. Fuse didn't blow
I suspect the neutral switch may be shorting to earth, but cannot find whats causing this.
Any other ideas folks?

Ray: 

Check the rear harness cable going to rear wheel / tyre / tail lamp bracket with a flash light.

If you have already taken it to dealer, what did he find ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 09:29:41 pm
Dealer had a look Tuesday and checked out neutral switch loom, and had the headlight out but found nothing, and we couldn't 'make' it blow either. However...

Just had the headlight out myself, and a grey wire has been rubbing inside, and gone right through the insulation. It wasn't gear changing, nor going backwards, but steering head movement. I am now counting myself very, very lucky that it only ever happened when I was stationary. Could have been very dangerous at speed, or overtaking! Have tied up the loom a little higher, and will get dealer to change the frayed wire.

Thanks for the input guys,

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 12:06:29 am
 Cool, glad you found it ray.Elec. problems can be a PIA. A problem  at one spot on the bike, can cause some weird happenings all over.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 02:51:58 pm
I was going to suggest wiggling the bars and looking around the steering head.  These are likely places always since they move.  The other thing to check that gorilla told me about is the loom under the back of the left side of the tank.  There's a pinch point where the gold bracket that holds the top of the engine crosses the loom.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 03:35:41 pm
Dealer had a look Tuesday and checked out neutral switch loom, and had the headlight out but found nothing, and we couldn't 'make' it blow either. However...

Just had the headlight out myself, and a grey wire has been rubbing inside, and gone right through the insulation. ........  will get dealer to change the frayed wire.

There are a few grey wires - one connects the parking switch to parking indicator light, another grey wire connects pilot light to tail light and so on.  In US the parking lights have been disabled, don't actually work - due to some regulatory issues.  Don't know if parking lights work in UK or European bikes.

Are you able to blow the fuse when you touch the 'naked' grey wire to frame inside the headlight - just to confirm that what you found is the real cause of problem ?  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:40:07 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 03:56:58 pm
Are you able to blow the fuse when you touch the 'naked' grey wire to frame inside the headlight - just to confirm that what you found is the real cause of problem ?  Just a thought.

Yes, it was the grey cable causing the fuse blow. Was fortunate to find it really, only saw it as I was moving the bike in the dark, and noticed the arcing. Have repaired the insulation myself now, and supported the loom better with cable ties to prevent the rubbing.

Love the bike, but coming from a CB1300 Honda which I did 60,000 miles on over 4 years with no problems, I am starting to get annoyed with little niggles that pop up with the RE. Two weeks ago the battery cover disappeared somewhere in Surrey. Replaced under warranty. Battery failed completely after 1 week from new!

Many more grins per mile on the RE though :)

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 04:09:54 pm
Yes, it was the grey cable causing the fuse blow. Was fortunate to find it really, only saw it as I was moving the bike in the dark, and noticed the arcing. Have repaired the insulation myself now, and supported the loom better with cable ties to prevent the rubbing.

Love the bike, but coming from a CB1300 Honda which I did 60,000 miles on over 4 years with no problems, I am starting to get annoyed with little niggles that pop up with the RE. Two weeks ago the battery cover disappeared somewhere in Surrey. Replaced under warranty. Battery failed completely after 1 week from new!

Many more grins per mile on the RE though :)

Great, that you found the real cause - and an easy fix.  

One suggestion - go through the Bullet with UCE section of this forum.  There is a lot of good advice and info especially for the first few months of owning a RE.  Tighten each and every nut, bolt head, screw that you see, because they tend to loosen with the vibrations of bike.

I understand what you mean that you rode 60,000 miles on your Honda - same on my Knight Hawk, nothing ever happened to it !  What one learns on RE in 4 months, one does not learn in 4 years on a Honda  ;).  RE, making mechanics out or riders for over 100 years  :D.

As for battery, get a new sealed battery - the liquid of acid battery of RE usually ends up in the bracket that holds the battery.  That eats away the paint and it starts to rust.

Well, you get 85 GRIN miles per gallon with RE - Can't beat that  ;D

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 05:26:31 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 01:39:05 am
Bump to all that and do a search for the thread on Loctite as well.  You should invest in a bottle.

-Q
Any other Enfields in New England?

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 11:38:56 am
Bump to all that and do a search for the thread on Loctite as well.  You should invest in a bottle.

Wouldn't have saved the battery cover. Lock snapped in half, leaving me with a small cube of plastic :)

Ray
2010 C5 - Red