Author Topic: I Heard These Were Supposed to Vibrate Alot  (Read 8453 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: January 16, 2008, 06:35:48 pm
Most information you see on the internet about our bikes talk about vibration.  One write up said something about the rider feeling 'beaten up' after a few hour ride because being a single it has to show you who's boss.

I dunno, maybe mine's just strange, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of vibration.  Plonking around town in 4th or 5th gear it seems pretty smooth and running along the country roads at 55 or 60 for short bursts seems to me pretty smooth for a 500cc single.  The mirrors are much more useable than the ones on my 200cc Vespa Powered scooter.

Now mine is the only one I've ridden, so I can't make any sweeping statements about the Bullet's smoothness.  But I think it gives a very nice ride and I can't imagine feeling "beaten uip" after a few hours in the saddle.  Stiff, maybe that, yes.  But not beaten up.

What do you guys think about the smoothness (or not) of your iron lunged Bulets?
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

deejay

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:51:07 pm
Mine doesn't vibrate too much at all. I had a triumph bonneville that used to buzz more than vibrate and my hands would practically go numb. The Enfield doesn't do this at all.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:43:02 pm
Mine doesn't vibrate too much at all. I had a triumph bonneville that used to buzz more than vibrate and my hands would practically go numb. The Enfield doesn't do this at all.

I'll second that.
My Trump beats me up bad. No trips over 100 miles in one day.
I adjust the idle to get max bounce of the front wheel at idle just cuz it looks good but once your moving there is almost no vibration at all.
On the one long trip I took on my Bullet after 12 hours of riding the only thing that hurt was my butt.
My CTS infested hands felt great as did my back.
Not at all what I expected but I was pleased with the outcome.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:40:37 pm

I'll second that.
My Trump beats me up bad. No trips over 100 miles in one day.
I adjust the idle to get max bounce of the front wheel at idle just cuz it looks good but once your moving there is almost no vibration at all.
On the one long trip I took on my Bullet after 12 hours of riding the only thing that hurt was my butt.
My CTS infested hands felt great as did my back.
Not at all what I expected but I was pleased with the outcome.
CJ

I think that had more to do with the pills you'd taken!
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:03:53 pm
My Sixty-5 is smoother than my Honda twin cylinder 250 Nighthawk.  And obviously smoother than a Harley.  My four cylinder bikes were the smoothest.  But the Bullet is smoother than the twins I've owned.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:09:00 pm
I think that had more to do with the pills you'd taken!

They were for the tendonitis in my elbow. Wouldn't be able to use the clutch without em.
I don't think they have a pill for CTS yet and I'm putting off getting that fixed because if you keep doing what caused it it'll come right back.
I didn't bring the stuff I got for my back because with them I'd still be riding around in circles out in the cornfields somewhere.
Sidesaway they don't mix with beer!
This getting old stuff sucks. 
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:19:30 pm
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 11:23:15 pm
That's impressive, but it's just a 350.  I don't think my 500 would be much rougher than that though.  I'll try that when it warms up just to see how it goes.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 11:25:40 pm
See Cyrus, that video shows it to be smooth as you like. I have no problems with the vibration at all. At 45-50mph the mirrors are vibe free and all is right with the world.

In contrast to Foggy I found (find) that the four cylinders are the worst. I think it has more to do with the frequency of the vibes. Four cylinders make my hands go numb from tingling. The Bandit I own is pretty bad vibe-wise, but it don't 'alf go some. No such problems with the RE.

CJ. I'm just giving you a hard time! Every bike I've ever owned was uncomfortable in one way or another after spending all day on it. The inline fours would numb my hands and bum. I got butt ache on all of them except the Honda VFR I used to have, even the Goldwing. What a wimp. The VFR was butt friendly, but after 400 miles with clip-ons my wrists were protesting.

If motorcycling was the most comfortable way to travel, then cars would have been made redundant years ago. It is still, without a doubt, the greatest way to travel though.

David R

• Scooter
  • Bullet 65, BMW R75/5 Suzuki DR650
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:18:58 am
Haven't you heard of "good vibrations"? ;)

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 05:54:24 am
In contrast to Foggy I found (find) that the four cylinders are the worst. I think it has more to do with the frequency of the vibes. Four cylinders make my hands go numb from tingling. The Bandit I own is pretty bad vibe-wise, but it don't 'alf go some. No such problems with the RE. 

My Honda CB400-F ran like a turbine.  And the four into one exhaust header at 10,000 RPM would raise the hackles on the back of the neck.  I sold it as a classic and made some money on it.  Bright yellow and in factory mint condition - should have kept it...

Love the Bullet more!

My Kaw KZ750 had some resonance issues but nothing like a twin cylinder bike.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 06:52:32 am
    Yeah, four cylinder bikes did kind of tingle a bit. I had a 1976 Honda CB750K and about a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 and a 1980 Kawasaki GPZ550. The smoothest bike I ever rode was a 1976 Gold Wing that a buddy left with me for a year or so with instructions to "ride it"-so I did.It was a full dresser.
    I've had a fair number of thumpers to include a Homda Trail 90, Honda CL(Scrambler)90,1976 Honda XL350,1982 Suzuki SP500,2005 Kawasaki KLR650,2007 Yamaha XT225,2001 Kawasaki KLR250., and my 2007 RE Bullet 500 Classic.I can't really say the Bullet vibrates any more than the others. My KLR650 is a relatively smooth one. I tset rode a KLR that was a real vibrator.Had a bunch of two stroke singles too, and one twin and a few four stroke twins.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 07:57:50 am
My 67 Bonne buzzed in harmonics.  Front to back, up and down.  Just like my Grandad's old vibrating recliner!!  It had a great sound, (straight heaaders), and of course my girlfriend at the time, just loved the heck out of it.  When I sold it, it was over between us. 
The Enfield gets a little shaky around 30-35 mph, (buzzy mirrors), and after that, nothing, nice and smooth. 
But, no chicks, either.  Go figure.

I'm told I have to get an older ironhead for that now.

Steve

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 01:09:05 pm
I"ve never had a twin so I can't say how they are in comparison to singles or fours. I've seen the way Harleys shake when they're at stoplights but my Enfield does that to and at anything above idle its pretty darn smooth.

My V-four Honda was pretty smooth and made fabulous noises, like a Ducati on steroids. Ummmmmm.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 10:54:12 pm
I'd say my Honda V twin FireStorm 996 (SuperHawk in the States) has only a slight tingle and so has the Bullet. Not a lot in it really!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin