Author Topic: Braking question  (Read 3280 times)

COCraig

• Neophyte
on: November 03, 2010, 08:19:56 pm
I have a 2009 Electra AVL.

My bike has a drum brakes on both wheels.

I am a new rider and had an issue while taking my riding test to get my motorcycle license.
Luckily I was still able to pass.

During the quick stop part of the test the Tester kept saying that I should skid while doing the quick stop.
I could not apply the rear brake hard enough to lock the rear wheel.

Is this normal? Operator error? Or should I try to adjust my brakes?

Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:55:39 pm
Mine's a '07 Classic...

I haven't really tried to skid, but I've been on the rear brake hard a couple of times, and it hasn't "locked" (but it can "howl" pretty good).

IMHO, if the Tester thinks a skid helps you stop faster and is recommending it as a proper technique, don't think I agree...  just think how anti-lock brakes work...

I'm a long-time rider, and I still take the time to find some clear asphalt on a quiet Sunday afternoon and practice every once in a while.  Maybe I'll try my skid technique next time...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:12:27 pm
Were you applying rear brake only to stop - or both front and rear brakes together at the same time to stop ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

blueberry

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:13:54 pm
How can a tester tell a new rider to lock the rear brake?  That ain't right in my book.
My 08 Electra has a disc brake on the front and when used hard it can transfer weight forward. Still I have never locked the rear. Some might find it weak but I find it just right. Its good advise to find a place where you can safely learn about your RE. I did and am very glad as I stepped off a Goldwing onto a RE. Talk about a learning curve :o
Ride Safe, Blueberry
2008 Electra
1985 Honda 250 Rebel
1970 Honda SL90

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:39:06 pm
A skid is a loss of traction on the road.. Should not happen.. If you lock your front it is very bad....   I have locked the rear up on my RE twice,  both times to avoid and accident, one I actually slowed down and the other I realized I was not gonna make it and split lanes instead...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:42:49 pm
Skid?...No!

Heavy front end dip from using both brakes on clean dry pavement (tarmac) ....Yes!
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 12:27:52 am
I have never been able to skid the rear either. All other bikes I've had I could skid easily. I figured it was just a quirk of the bike and try to allow myself room to stop.

As far as a quick stop goes, the quickest way to stop on a bike that I have found is to lock it up and come in sideways. Of course that's on old-style bikes. I bet the new sport bikes with twin disks front and back can do it better, and without the gymnastics.

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 07:52:27 am
The inability to lock up the rear brake on an Electra is an inherrant design problem.

It has two root causes.

1. The adaption of the brake on this model to "right foot braking" means that the foot pedal has to cross over, under the frame, The single tube used to make this transission suffers from tortion (tristing) during harsh application thus limiting the amount of pressure that can be brought to bear at the rear brake.

2. The kinked connecting rod that connects to the brake assembly on the back wheel will, under pressure, try and straighten out. This adds to the spring effect decreasing further the amount of pressure that can be applied at the rear brake.

The UK importer supplies a replacement brake pedal which has twin welded tubes for the transission section beneath the frame.

On my bike, I have replaced the kinked connecting rod with a straight one. Some fiddling of the geometry is required but it can be done.

I can now lock the back wheel, if required but have to agree with previous postings that a locked wheel (skid) is an indication of a loss of control.

Let me know if you need pictures?
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 02:46:42 pm
My ''08, just like yours, has always been able to lock up the rear wheel. That being said, it's not a good idea. It only happens to me in trying to avoid an idiot what has pulled out in front of me. Some, not all, drums are not round and/or the break pad is not concentric with the drum,, and measures should be taken to make them fit (mesh) properly. Then your breaking will be good. If you have low mileage they will most likely wear in over time.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:19:04 pm
I took a riding class, and we also were locking up the brake.  It wasn't so much being taught as a recommended stopping style, but rather in a "do it here in a controlled environment so you can experience it," sort of way.  We were then able to come to a pretty quick halt without skidding.  It is hard to know where the limit is unless you've gone passed it - just make sure you find it in a controlled setting.

Now, I always thought the lack of lock up on the RE was because of its advanced ABS.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 12:00:47 am
Yes, that would be the ABSolete breaking system for ya...yup!   8)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 04:37:53 am
........if I could only get the front to lock up.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 07:17:12 am
........if I could only get the front to lock up.

Let the front drum "grow" some rust from sitting outside in the rain for a few weeks.
Adds a whole new level of traction for the shoes to grab.

First time you get a handful of front brake will be an eye opener.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 03:54:43 pm
No kidding.  I always feather my front brake going up the driveway to warm it up a little.   Otherwise, when I get to the street and grab the front brake, if the wheel is turned even a bit- the bike ends up on it's side (and me mad).
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 01:22:44 am
Welcome aboard COCraig
No matter where you go, there, you are.