Author Topic: Tst Tst Tst Americans.  (Read 31217 times)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 03:52:01 pm
      I guess its just another one of those American things we have to go along with --you know the green pants and red shirt with a camera round the neck spitting chewing tobacco--- oh and bursting into tears whilst telling the receptionist that the tea was late.   

This mixture of uncontrollable emotion with arrogance that Us citizens appear to conjure when abroad  leaves a very strange and difficult tourist. 

But hey,--Im sure you are aware of itopt!!!!!
Is that how I look when I travel? Certainly not me Sir.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 04:25:26 pm
Is that how I look when I travel? Certainly not me Sir.

Im sorry to say that you probably will. You will no doubt talk louder than other people and say excuse me but this is not acceptable when asked to wait in line with others who are waiting in line.

You are aware that other countries don't have guns so you know you are unlikely to get shot and let it out a bit more than you would normally.

Ive seen Americans in busses stand up and tell jokes and never shut up. My friend was on a flight from Bkk to London and a Septic was a pain --he was cheered off the plane in London as he was arrested.

Sit next to one and its  " high there im Chuk junior from LA, Geeez are you an Englishman geeez I aint never met one before, Oh I love your soccer and Manchester club oh and just love tea""   -----  help let me get  off the bus---.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 04:50:59 pm
clamp, no offense, but those are some pretty broad generalizations of Americans you're throwing out there. As an avid traveler, I'll be the first to admit that there is a definite presence of the obnoxious American tourist throughout the world--but this is perhaps less due to being an American than being a *tourist*. In other words, it isn't nationality but agency here. What is the function of the man abroad? He is functioning as a tourist. What do tourists tend to do? In many cases, make a cursory tour of the country, unable or unwilling to engage the local culture beyond superficial visits to "local dives."  To most indigenous populations, any outside visitor who only concerns himself with taking a whimsical stroll through their country, snapping pictures and behaving as though they were still back home, comes across as obnoxious. Because it IS obnoxious. It's obnoxious to not take local customs and traditions into consideration, to not be sensible to the ways of life in the places you are visiting. But this isn't an issue of nationality, it's an issue inherent with being a tourist.

I have seen obnoxious German tourists. Obnoxious French tourists. Obnoxious Japanese tourists. Obnoxious American tourists. Different nationalities--but what do they all have in common? They're tourists!

Now, as for the stereotype of American men crying. Could this be due, perhaps, to Americans being more progressive than our counterparts across the pond? Well, that's certainly one idea to consider, but...

You do realize, I hope, that YOUR idea of what constitutes "manliness" is entirely socially-arbitrated and not bound by any set, physical laws of nature. It is ENTIRELY ARBITRARY, and you'll find that these notions tend to change over time--a further testament to their arbitrariness.

Crying is actually a physiological reaction to an emotional response emanating from your neural synapses.  It's part of a very real, very human set of emotions.  Just like anger. Just like happiness. Humans cry, they laugh, they get angry, frustrated, smile, and all sorts of manner of human emotions. People cry when they're sad, when they're angry, when they're scared, when they're overwhelmed with joy. It's a physiological response. In my opinion, if you are either A) incapable of one of these emotions (crying), or B) purposefully stifling one of the physiological responses to these emotions (crying), then you are one, or both, of the following:

1) a mindless automaton who is completely incapable of being a self-sovereign human being and who feels like he must CONFORM, like the mindless robot that he is, to the illusory parameters set forth by the society he just happened, by chance, to be born into, or

2) a less-complete, less-fulfilled, and less-human Human being. One who is either incapable of experiencing the full range of human emotions or performing their necessary physiological functions, or who is unwilling to partake in the full range of human emotions or performing their necessary physiological functions. In either case, you're missing out on a very significant part of what it is to be human.

But hey, if you think that makes you a man, then by all means, go forth in thy manhood (but don't forget the oilcan so that you can lube your mechanical, pre-programmed brain)!
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 04:58:40 pm
Clamp is just being naughty again. He was honest enough to list his mental age on his profile so most of us understand and tolerate his outbursts. He doesn't really mean any of it maliciously - he just gets bored with the heat and flies in Thailand.
I know  -  a man with a mental age of 8 living in Thailand. You work it out..... ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 07:45:59 pm
"Crying isn't considered manly in the UK"... BUT WATCHING OPRAH IS?!?  Haha... too cute.  What a silly little dickens we got here!

:D
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 08:33:49 pm
Clamp is just being naughty again. He was honest enough to list his mental age on his profile so most of us understand and tolerate his outbursts. He doesn't really mean any of it maliciously - he just gets bored with the heat and flies in Thailand.
I know  -  a man with a mental age of 8 living in Thailand. You work it out..... ;)

Ah, I see...well, in that case, I apologize for taking it too seriously. Really can't help it, though...being an anthropologist, I always tend to speak out against oversimplifications of otherwise complex (and complicated) different cultures.
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 08:36:30 pm
Watch this space. He'll bite soon...... ;) :D
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 10:36:41 pm
I suppose when I travel ,I could leave my cowboy boots at home. Wear shades, and work on my fake British accent. I’ll introduce myself as lord Clamp.
Thanks I’ll be treated like a rock star.

And of course, NO CRYING!
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 12:14:41 am
Josh, you should have seen the time clamp challenged this evangelical dude to prove that the bible is the undeniable document of God's existence. The poor guy ruined a whole evening after work posting about 50 pages worth of color-coded quotation and biblical exegesis. It was one of the funniest goddamn things I've ever seen in my life. No offense, but you've got bigger shoes to fill if you're gonna go for the booby prize of taking clamp seriously!  :D

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 01:53:58 am
Damn ---ive been rumbled!!

To clear a few points, it dropped to 22 degrees last night so no flies.
   German tourists can be as bad as septics or worse. Japanese are a problem but come in 20 or 30 and act like ducks, but are never obnoxious.

Ok not all septics are loud and arrogant --- but most.

Im sorry I live in a tourist town,--its what I see every day.

Crying,--are you not capable of controlling your emotions, do you rape when seeing a nice girl,  do you whoop and whoo your flag if you happen to see it abroad.

Cant you hold a sneeze or a fart in a restaurant, come on man get hold of yourself and put away these childish emotions but most of all get control of yourself and be a little deeper in your character.

Anthropologist !!!     huh!,  I used to collect stamps too.

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 01:59:50 am
come on man get hold of yourself and put away these childish emotions but most of all get control of yourself

I gave up on that years ago, too much effort for the return......... Honey get me a beer from the fridge!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 03:19:45 am
Cant you hold a sneeze or a fart in a restaurant,

you gotta be kidding..   why would I want to do that?..  it would eventually come out my nose and I have enough sinus problems  from living in a valley to really care if i offend ed someone for natural body functions....  however..  I am offended by Patchouli oil that some douse them selves with.. burns my eyes.. that's yet another reason why I cry,,

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 03:45:44 am
I have never laughed so hard reading this thread!(it's making me cry!) ! Keep going!
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 04:54:11 am

Gotta disagree about 'just being naughty'.  Clamp is just ignorant and uninformed regarding his native land's history.  Within arms length of my keyboard I have the six volume set of WInston Churchill's history of WWII.  I recall that he twice admitted in these volumes to crying.  If Clamp manages to convince anyone that he is made of sterner stuff than this great Englishman it would have to be someone with awareness of his country's history on par with his own.  That would appear to be difficult.

The thrust of his several posts in this thread has been that folks in his native land, certinally including himself, are more stonic and less likely to say or do things that show emotion.  Because that would make a person "....look silly to us and you lose all respect".  THEN he makes an admission of repeated inappropriate emotional outbursts.   He stated that; quote: "Dead animals make me laugh....".  Also, quote: "I laughed when our budgie ""Joey"" died....".  It's very obvious that he judges others by use of a yardstick that he is incapable of useing on himself. 
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 05:42:44 am
"    At 6 years old  I laughed when our budgie "Joey" died,  thats when my dad realized he'd gone too far and had me sent away to a special school /place."

Could this be why you have moved to the opposite side of the globe? Are the warders looking for you" ::)

B.T.W. What is "Tst Tst Tst" ?  hard to decipher (you are aware that the English Language requires vowels to give sound to a grouping of letters.)
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?