Author Topic: Upgrade points plate?  (Read 17856 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #60 on: December 11, 2013, 05:29:40 am
...but our engines provides the compressed air that is fed into the passenger compartment on commercial aircraft.  It also provides the compressed air to run the Pneumatic Air Conditioner system.

The paying passengers get upset when the airplanes cabin fills with smoke while they are flying at 40,000 feet half way between New York and London.  ;D

No wonder! A couple of times I've smelt burnt fuel (or something else/oil) in the cabin out of nowhere whilst watching one of those in-flight movies. Kind of scary but then I was like it's cool.  :-\ Sorry about going off-topic, but I learnt a new thing today.  ;)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: December 13, 2013, 04:56:24 pm
No wonder! A couple of times I've smelt burnt fuel (or something else/oil) in the cabin out of nowhere whilst watching one of those in-flight movies. Kind of scary but then I was like it's cool.  :-\ Sorry about going off-topic, but I learnt a new thing today.  ;)

You shouldn't.  The air is pulled off in the compressor stages before it ever comes near the fuel.  I'm not an engine guy though, Avionics, so a Powerplants guy can correct me.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #62 on: December 14, 2013, 01:01:23 am
You are quite correct. :)

The synthetic oils used in gas turbine/jet engines can make a hell of a stink though. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #63 on: December 14, 2013, 02:30:19 am
It is funny how one member can post about a little oil weeping past there distributor seal and the next thing is all this talk about airplane cabins. Well to get back on topic I have received my new Pertronix coil. I installed it a few hours ago with only one hitch. I didn't buy the mounting bracket 10002 for the coil and had to rework the stock Lucas bracket. Well I have replaced the PVL coil with this new one. The Pertronix is about twice the diameter of the PVL. It ohms at 3.2, the PVL 3.4+ and the stock Lucas measured 3 ohms. Fairly close all the way around. This new Pertronix coil gives a nice blue spark which is better than the PVL or Lucas coils spark. The bike starts better and idles better also. Taking the bike for a spin I notice that the bike pulls well especially in the higher rpm range. I would say it was a worthwhile purchase. Will test it over the next few weeks and post another update. This coil combined with the points plate mod has made a real difference.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #64 on: January 07, 2014, 02:13:13 pm
Question for Blltrdr or any of the other gents who did the Blue Streak points conversion.  When I adjusted my timing this last summer I noticed I am almost to where I can't rotate the points plate any more.  The tip of the cam follower looks to have been worn down quite a bit.  Almost positive these are the original points (bike has 13,000+ miles) so it seemed I was probably due to replace them anyway.

I came upon this thread and decided to pick up a set of Blue Streak points that folks had so many nice things to say about.  Won't install them until Spring or Summer.  You guys talked about modifications to the stock points plate when mounting the Blue Streak points.  Is there any chance one of you guys could post a few pictures of your setup now after the installation?  It would be a nice reference for myself and others who would like to do this.  Thanks  :).

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #65 on: January 08, 2014, 12:10:39 am
Give me a couple days and I will post a pic.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #66 on: January 08, 2014, 03:40:34 pm
Thanks, I'll watch for them.  It's above zero here today, so that is nice.  Spring seems a long way off.