Author Topic: Upgrade points plate?  (Read 17871 times)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 12:46:37 am
:D LOL....Blue Streak stock, actually the company is Standard Motor Products and I should take a look at their stock.

The advanced points on my Russian Ural are Standard. I believe the factory is on Long Island, NY. The ones I have are for a VW bug 70's vintage. Good points so far.

Ed
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 10:44:59 pm
Today I purchased a set of Blue Streak VW points for my conversion, part # GB4173XP.

Here is some more information about this part:

* 99% pure tungsten is used to make our contact sets, providing a longer service life.
* A stainless steel spring is used to maintain correct tension on the contacts and eliminate corrosion build up.
* A copper shunt is used to conduct the current flow providing less resistance to the circuit.
* A self lubricating brass bushing is used to maintain point alignment and 100% surface contact.
* A special blend of nylon is used to make the rubbing block which is held to the movable arm with 4 rivets.
* All of these features add up to the longest lasting and best performing contact point sets in the marketplace.

Here is photo comparing the BS to a set of Bosch. The Bosch points cost more! Why?

The VW points come built with a pivot pin so two holes is all it takes to mount it, one for the pivot and one for the slot adjuster. I am going to retain my stock condenser because I have 4 or 5 laying around. I have two extra point plates and see no real problem changing over to this new set. I will post again once I've completed the mod. I'm excited that I will never have to mail order another points set and will be able to walk into any auto parts store and buy the part if it ever fails. This part is made in the USA and is by many user accounts the best made points you can purchase. Cyrusb has stated he's had his in for two years no problems which gives me the utmost confidence this mod will work flawlessly.

Well it has been along time since I posted anything on my points upgrade. Well I finally got around to installing the Blue Streak points. I used an extra stock backing plate. I had to flatten the tab that the wires go to. I was able to use the small hole closest to the center of the tab that I flattened. I had to drill a hole for the set screw for the points and used a self taping screw from a new construction light box ground. I had to slightly modify the points frame so it would not interfere with the backing plate screw. I will try and rectify this modification by sourcing a bit shorter point set. Since I already sourced the set I had I wanted to put it to use. Well it seems to work great. The tick over seems steady and a lot better than the stock points. The quality of the Blue Streak points is leaps and bound better than the stock set. I reused the stock condenser since I retained the stock backing plate. I will take the bike out and see how well this setup works. My main objective is to be able to purchase a new set of quality points anywhere without having to rely on a poor manufactured set that I have to have mailed to my house.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 02:02:19 am
Really!  If you want to upgrade go EI. If you're just worried about availability, order a lifetime supply.
VW points will work.  Actually, just about any car points will work.  It's just softening the blow of the points opening, not tuned to anything.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 03:11:20 am
  It's just softening the blow of the points opening, not tuned to anything.

Really!! You have obviously missed my point. And what does the statement above mean, inquiring minds want to know.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 03:20:11 am
Well I just got back from my test ride @ 24 deg. All I can say is, layer, layer, layer. Well I am very surprised at the way the bike performs. I was thinking it would be a marginal benefit performance wise. Well I was wrong! The bike pulls like a bull now. Shifting into 4th at 50 which I could not achieve before. I was usually in 4th shifting into 5th at 50. Well I will keep an eye on these performance findings and see if there is any change good or bad.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 06:53:00 am
Really!! You have obviously missed my point. And what does the statement above mean, inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry, my fingers didn't type what my brain was thinking.
VW condensers will work.  What I meant by softening the blow is that the condenser is there to absorb the current, soak it up, so that you don't get arcing across the points which eats up the contacts fast.  No, that's not a good technical description but it sort of explains it.

And yes, I don't see the point of replacing the points with HD or some car points.  The only reasonable things that come to mind are availability or quality.  Either of these is most readily solved by EI.  Auto manufacturers didn't change over because EI was cheaper to manufacture.
1975 XLCH

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 07:20:23 am
I have an expensive Boyer unit collecting dust in a bucket somewhere in my garage. Had nothing but problems with it so I switched back to points. When you come across three different instructions on how to set it up and then you call the company in England to clarify and they aren't quite sure themselves it makes you wonder why you spent so much for something that is so aggravating. Points are simple! I think a lot of people install EI's because they are just not sure of themselves adjusting points and timing or just don't see it as being fun to do so. As I see it part of the fun of owning my Bullet is making all the adjustments to maintain it. To each his own.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 04:00:55 pm
Go with the RE EI.  It's simple, no fussing, install it in 10 minutes or less, set the timing, you be done until you wear the distributor out!
1975 XLCH

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 04:23:53 pm
Go with the RE EI.  It's simple, no fussing, install it in 10 minutes or less, set the timing, you be done until you wear the distributor out!

You obviously have your own agenda and have not read my posts. Our philosophies differ somewhat. I see point sets as reliable and perfect for this machine. You see EI as the solution to something that has worked perfectly fine longer than each of us have been alive. I am a follower of K.I.S.S. and no I'm not talking rock band. Like I mentioned in my previous post, "To each his own". I'm happy for you and your EI system. If it makes you happy that is all that matters.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 04:37:32 pm
Nothing wrong with EI, it's been the industry standard for a long time..I still have the original points with 11k on my Enfield..I picked up another set from our sponsor for 10 bucks (4 years ago)...All I ever done is put a fine file to it once a year and a drop of oil on the felt for the rubber block..The Bike usually starts by the third kick which is dependent on whether or not I did my sequences correctly...It's was always my understanding that points ignition systems could even fire up with substandard battery voltage... I've replaced the points in my old Lincoln with a 460 , Buick century 350cc  and dodge slant six...They all ran like a charm like the Enfield.... 8)
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 05:44:16 pm
If your Boyer is just sitting in a bucket, I'd be happy to take it off of your hands.   :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 06:01:10 pm
If your Boyer is just sitting in a bucket, I'd be happy to take it off of your hands.   :)

Scottie

Actually the use of bucket was for effect. It is nicely put away in a parts drawer wrapped in warm little blanky.

It is the Micro Digital model twin coil for my twin plug head. Motor is disassembled and will eventually get a Fireball makeover. I will probably send the unit back to Boyer for a checkup. They do back there gear and will rebuild or replace as necessary. I have a feeling part of the problem I had with the ignition stemmed from the the Gill coils which came with kit. The online consensus refers to the Gill coils as crap. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:03:22 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 02:39:12 am
HA HA HA!!!!!! A Boyer saved for a new project!!
1975 XLCH

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 02:44:33 am
--IT MUST BE WINTER--

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 02:55:23 am
--IT MUST BE WINTER--

You've been drinking eggnog haven't you! Well officially the winter season will start in a couple weeks and what about all our forum members south of the equator........yeah, summer is just around the corner.  8)
2003 Classic 500 5 spd