Author Topic: Upgrade points plate?  (Read 17842 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
on: November 03, 2010, 01:21:06 am
I found this points plate that fits Harley Big Twin models 70-E78 and Sportster models 71-E78 on the Dennis Kirk website. Does anyone know if this points plate will fit the Bullet distributor? The plate is $8 w/points/condenser and could be upgraded to Blue Streak points and condenser or many other well made brands. This would be a great upgrade for the Bullet ignition if it does fit. The photo shows the whole kit with advance unit, fasteners etc. but can be purchased separately. I know there are some Harley owners on the forum that just might know the answer to this question so please chime in.

2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:53:13 am
I have doubts about the advance unit ,,,the plate,,maybe.
 I will compare bits between my shovel head and my Bullet.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 03:37:15 am
I have doubts about the advance unit ,,,the plate,,maybe.
 I will compare bits between my shovel head and my Bullet.

I wasn't looking at using the advance unit it was in the photo as part of a kit. But if the plate is the same diameter to the Bullet plate it would be an inexpensive upgrade if it works. $8 would be peanuts compared to some parts I've tried on my bike. Here is the link that has a fitment guide for the unit: www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=H20220&store=Main&catId=&productId=pH20220&leafCatId=&m
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 03:59:01 am
This thread has my interest...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:07:24 am
I am also interested but clueless.I want it to work,tho....................

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 04:23:06 am
This all started from this post : www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,5021.0.html

I guess it would be easy enough to make a points plate and mount the Chev/Harley point set but if this $8 setup I found works it would save plenty of time.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 04:30:27 am
I believe the HD condenser would be an issue.  Although the voltage is the same between the two applications the coils are quite different.  The HD of thoes years used a coil with a "double wound" secondary.  The 'tuned' value of the condenser would most likely be slightly difference if max. available voltage were expected from the stock RE coil.

By the way, what is wrong with the stock RE set-up?  
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 04:43:29 am
I believe the HD condenser would be an issue.  Although the voltage is the same between the two applications the coils are quite different.  The HD of thoes years used a coil with a "double wound" secondary.  The 'tuned' value of the condenser would most likely be slightly difference if max. available voltage were expected from the stock RE coil.

By the way, what is wrong with the stock RE set-up?  

Quality comes to mind. Did you read the link from the prior post to yours Oldsalt?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 07:31:31 am
IMHO there is nothing wrong with the stock R.E. ignition it still works and works well, often times with less trouble than some aftermarket electronic ignition systems.

R.E. Factory points are certainly up to the task at hand.

H-D used the Delco/ Chevy straight 6 points. Those points were also used in whole host of commercial, industrial, marine and agricultural engines.

I believe some folks would like the option to run them because they are very common and also available in the blue streak brand (which has quality and features not present in generic points)

I suspect that the automotive type coils used on our Bullets would play well with the Chevy condenser but i've no idea as to what the capacitance of the R.E and H-D/ Chevy condensers would be.

Perhaps some one with access to electronics test bench would be willing to find out for us?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:45:17 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 11:34:08 am
arthritis hurts at my age!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 11:57:29 am
Done this allready, but simply made my own plate and fitted Bosch v-dub -mercedes points instead. The chevy 6 points were my first choice were not suited (too large). What is wrong with the the stock points? Availability, and the 2 piece design is a nightmare on the side of the road. Now it's just one spade connector and one screw.There is a pic of this in modifications . I did not try this but, you might be able to just drill and tap the original plate for the bosch points, there may be room.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 03:32:59 pm
Done this allready, but simply made my own plate and fitted Bosch v-dub -mercedes points instead. The chevy 6 points were my first choice were not suited (too large). What is wrong with the the stock points? Availability, and the 2 piece design is a nightmare on the side of the road. Now it's just one spade connector and one screw.There is a pic of this in modifications . I did not try this but, you might be able to just drill and tap the original plate for the bosch points, there may be room.

What condenser did you use? From your last post on your mod it says Chevy 6 or is it Bosch VW? Does it match the RE condenser?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 03:37:18 pm
I use the bosch condenser, 2+ years now, stock Lucas coil, no problems. Like I said in the above post, it was only after I made the new points plate that I noticed that I probably could have just drilled 2 new holes (one tapped) in the existing plate. It really is that easy.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 03:46:25 pm
I use the bosch condenser, 2+ years now, stock Lucas coil, no problems. Like I said in the above post, it was only after I made the new points plate that I noticed that I probably could have just drilled 2 new holes (one tapped) in the existing plate. It really is that easy.

Do you have the part numbers for the parts you used? If so I'll go by a set today and give it a shot, I have a couple extra plates. In your photo you had to relocate the pivot pin did you use a screw?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:25:34 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 04:39:55 pm
     In 10 years as a dealer I have had over 600 different bikes through the shop. I can remember only one actual need to replace a set of points.  Co-incidentally it was just after the customer worked on the bike... Properly set up, the stock system is reliable and requires only a little maintenance. The economy pointless ignition from our host is a great upgrade if you want no maintenance at all, but it does cost more than points. With a different set of points you still have points.
     Now, the Chevy or HD points will have different dimensions. This may affect dwell ( the amount of time the points are open). This may make no difference in running, or it may run better or worse. The cheap pointless ignition works great and aids starting and running at all RPM.
     This proposed change of point seems like some work and some money for no particular advantage.