Author Topic: What if the C5 had 6 gears  (Read 7264 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 03:04:26 pm
My C5 is the only vehicle I own.
You is hard core Dan! :D I agree, the C-5 is the main bike I ride, Not just a weekend special.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 06:16:46 pm
Hi y'all, gutsy though the bike is I think one would be knocking it down a gear at the slightest sign of a headwind or uphill slope to keep it near the max torque revs.  I've learnt to hang on to the gears for longer than I used to having found you don't need to take it to the rev limiter to make progress.  There again I don't do any highway bashing these days.  It suits a staid retiree like myself.  I wait till I reach the traffic on the edge of town and filter right to the front usually timing it right to give it a fistfull and reach the centre of town and be parked up and in the shop long before all the tyro's who blasted past.

6 gears wouldn't do it for me but I will be going for the 19 tooth engine sprocket becomes available, shouldn't be long now!

Cheers, Shappers.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 08:36:23 pm
My C5 is the only vehicle I own.

Yeah, my '06 iron barrel Deluxe is technically the only vehicle I own.  My wife does have a car, but I almost never have it.  Never been of the opinion that a Bullet is only a "second bike".  I commute almost every day on mine (otherwise on bicycle or bus).

Eamon
Eamon

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 12:52:05 am
I love the idea of a 6th gear.

Have sixth as a 1to1 and lower the rest, bump up a tooth or two on the counter sprocket for cruising and have a more impressive 1st for lugging around the trails  ;)

Talk about having your cake and eating it too.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 10:26:53 am
Love the way Ice has put it.... would be sinfully good !!

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 11:11:37 pm
I'm 46 years old.  I've been riding bikes my whole life.  I learned how to drive a car one year and eleven months ago.  Didn't even know how to turn one on before that.

I do have a car now (a $500 beater), which is my primary commuter between November and April, but the bike never truly gets garaged.  If it's clear and dry, regardless of temperature, out she comes.

Before getting the car, I would ride my bike all year, even in snow conditions, although never particularly far.  However, in my last winter riding season before getting the car I threw my old XT250 away in icy corners just a few too many times.  The poor old girl was pretty beat up.  I like the RE just a little too much to give her that treatment.   :)

I was joking about the sixth gear.  No matter what bike I've had (this is my fifteenth, I think), I always forget what gear I'm in and go looking for the next one, even when it's not there.    :-[
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 02:50:11 am
 Supposedly the UCE lump makes use of I.B./ AVL five speed gearbox internals just fitted a bit differently.

If that's true then it stands to reason that if a six speed were to be introduced its bits might could be retro fitted into the earlier gearboxes.

Crawl in first and cruise in top   ;D
Bwa ha ha ha  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 08:25:01 am
"....I always forget what gear I'm in and go looking for the next one, even when it's not there...."

not just me then..... :D
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 10:54:08 am
I just wish the C5 had that magical gear ratio (either with the 5th or 6th cog) that would have allow me to cruise the highway at 80 MPH    ;D

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 03:07:30 pm
not just the enfield as i wish my yamaha 1100 had a extra gear for over 60..
Oh Magoo you done it again

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 04:03:59 pm
What you guys seem to be looking for is an overdrive rather than an additional gear.

-Q
Any other Enfields in New England?

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 10:43:22 pm
their u go....
Oh Magoo you done it again

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 01:39:09 am
I don't think it's gonna' happen,  Can't go with a smaller sprocket in the rear. 
Doesn't seem to be room for a larger sprocket in the front. 

I don't really think the mill has enough power to benefit from an overdrive gear. Unless you weigh in at something like 120 lbs I think you would spend a lot of time down-shifting.

A side car would be completely out of the question. 
Any other Enfields in New England?