Author Topic: Yay, finally have an outfit again.  (Read 3118 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:41 pm
Ok,  got my outfit set up for the most part.  I still need to put on the rack and windscreen and wire the lights.  I might just go without the screen as my monkeys will not know any better and I kinda like the look.

The inside story is that I attempted to obtain one through a different supplier than NField Gear and had nothing to show for it after 8 months of agitation and email and a deposit beside false promises..  Got my deposit back and ordered the car from our favorite seller and it was delivered to the house in 3 days...

One thing of note is that we have a local sales tax here,  so buying at a dealer or paying shipping comes out about equal.  I would have used one of the local dealers if their was incentive to but since I like to turn my own bolts I did everything myself.

Now the pictures..

Is it me or is this light on backwards?

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 11:33:00 pm
That's a nice looking sidecar. I would keep the box for garage  decoration or somewhere?.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

Matthew Harris

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 04:32:43 am
That is a really sharp looking setup there.  I agree that it looks good without the windshield!  and I also think you are correct about that marker light being backwards.  congrats on a great rig!
2000 Bullet 500 Classic- Green
REA 42

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:31:24 pm
As far as the light goes, I would rather be seen from behind better- especially if you drive in low-light situations.  Nice to see you have a tuf -finally.
Did you get rid of the Ural?
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:24:36 pm
Got rid of the other rig back at the start of this year..     

Did about 50miles on it yesterday.  It gets grumpy over 50mph for sure and I am glad I put on the smaller sprocket.     When I departed it was alligned pretty well,  but by the time I got back I had about a 2 deg lean in going on.   :-\   I had checked to make sure all the connection were tight etc and it still moved a bit.  Anyone have any suggestions?
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 09:26:51 pm
Very, very cool, Br Gary!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 10:07:36 pm
Very Cool !! and congrats.
The look sans windshield  is AWESOME !!

The shipping crate could be a fine bit of memorabilia once made into a nice spares bin / coffee table / display rack etc.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 01:17:09 am
Boy, that crate was a flashback for me!  I just got mine in June.

Congrats!

Regarding he lean in.  Yah,  There are lots of parts and bolts to tighten during alignment and set up.  I spent a lot of time and had mine "perfect".  After a ride or two it was out just a little.  Also found it pulled a whisker to the left when I rode it.  I checked alignment several times and it was good.  Then I went to Cycle Sidecar .com  (A CMW company)and after doing some reading I decided to set my tire air pressure exactly to their recommendations.   Front : 22 psi , Rear : 35 psi , S/Car : 25 psi.  That solved my pulling to the left problem and changed to lean out angle as well.    Lean out is not easy to measure.  You really need a 2 foot framing square and a good flat floor, some kind of sliding caliper helps, you can get one for 5 or 6 bucks at a Chinese tool import store.  Using the square slide it against the rear tire and measure the difference in distance from the bottom of the rim to the square and then measure from the top of the rim to the square. That is how I did it.  I figure at least a quarter inch to a max of half inch difference is good.  I did not bother to trig it out to the angle, I can if you would feel better having it exact.

You will need to tighten hardware a few times the first few months.  I also recommend taking some lacquer, (nail polish works) and mark the bolts where they meet the frame and mark where all the parts that swivel  meet. Then you can just do a visual from time to time to see if anything is moving. 
Any other Enfields in New England?

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 03:01:25 pm
Thanks for the tips... I have some anti-tamper stuff that will do the trick.

Enjoying the rig a lot.  I have it were it runs nice empty and with only a slight pull with a monkey.   Everyone like to comment on it,  can not seem to be able to sit at a stop light in peace.

Kept one end of the crate to hang on the wall for decoration,  the rest of it did not survive the hammer during the unpacking process... 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:04:35 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 03:10:59 pm
If you find that the clamps are still moving, try wrapping a strip of wet/dry sandpaper under the clamps.

Pulling to one side or the other is mostly a function of lean-out (or in).  It will vary depending on the prevailing road crown average in your area.  Lean-out is an attempt to compenste for the road crown that you notice more because the bike stays in one side of the lane- as opposed to wandering like a solo bike.

Even on solo bikes, you usually notice the left side of the tire wears more.
Run what ya brung

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 09:24:06 pm
Gary:

The rocket sidecar looks beautiful with your RE.  Enjoyed the pictures too !   Happy riding.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 01:22:31 am

The shipping crate could be a fine bit of memorabilia once made into a nice spares bin / coffee table / display rack etc.

I say bring it to the 2011 national meet and camp under it :D
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 02:10:00 am
Those shipping crates are not very salvageable.  They are riddled with sharp edges and made from rough, gnarly old twisted wood.  The staples and nails used to assemble them don't like to give up their jobs either. The folks that pack them seem to get paid by the nail.   Parts of the Sidecare pieces are bolted to the sidewall's of the crate.  It is not a matter of  opening the crate it is a matter of disassembling it.  By the time you get it apart there is not much to salvage.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 03:07:07 am
Now that you mention it..  I picked up the end I kept to hang on the wall or some such and it had signs of termite damage on the edge..   Since my house and garage are wood frame and I don't want to tent them anytime soon I have disposed of it..  I know they fumigate the crates before shipment,  but who knows, they could be Virginian termites.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 02:28:19 pm
Can you take a closup photo of the plate on the nose?  I have always wondered what it is?  good spot for a headlight but it is behind the bumper bar.