Author Topic: Front Disc Brakes  (Read 1708 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: October 28, 2010, 05:54:17 pm
  Just curious:  How many Bullet AVL Electras in the U.S. have front disc brakes?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 06:04:49 pm
Should be all of them.  The US Electra model came with front disc brake, the rubber gaiters on the forks and electronic ignition, as well as the AVL engine.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:25:29 pm
But AVL Classics have drums.  Keep that in mind.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:42:35 am
Hey Tanker,

No, they didn't all have front disc brakes.

My 2008 U.S. Bullet Electra electric start 5-speed has front drum brake & no gaiters.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 04:53:28 am
Hey Tanker,

No, they didn't all have front disc brakes.

My 2008 U.S. Bullet Electra electric start 5-speed has front drum brake & no gaiters.

I think you have the avl classic, not an electra. The electra has a different frame, shorter fenders etc.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:17:25 pm
Hey Thump,

I'm very confused now. I think the original title to CMW from Chennai signed by Kevin Mahoney (March 2008) said Electra, but I had to turn that title in to get my new one. They F-ed my new title up (of course). They have the Make as Royal & the Model as 'Enf'.

I wish Kevin or Scooter Bob would chime in here & tell me what I've got.

I've always thought it was an Electra X. The factory sticker on the engine says Bullet-X. The VIN plate says Electra-X.

It's electronic ignition, Mikarb BS-29, 5-speed, kick & electric, no front fender plate, no gaiters, front drum brake, pictures in Reader's Rides.

VIN is ME3FSV2348C502960. Title issued to CMW dated March 2008.

Scooter or Kevin: Please. Tell me what this thing is. I thought it was an Electra-X. It's fine if it's a Classic, but why the Bullet-X on the engine?

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:06:10 pm
I think your bike might be what they call a "Late Friday Afternoon" bike.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:35:11 pm
There's nothing "strange" about this bike. Why would you say that when you don't know?

The bike looks the same as a thousand others I've seen on this website & others. The ONLY question is: Is it an Electra-X or a Classic?

I've been through the bike quite extensively & everything conforms to all the books & manuals I have for the bike including an original owner's manual.

Why would you think it's a mish-mash? It was titled directly to Kevin at CMW. Are you trying to denigrate my machine? ;>)

Kevin or Scooter: Straighten this all out. Will you, please?

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 05:00:57 pm
Can you post a picture of the bike?  That would easily resolve it.  An Electra X and an AVL Classic/Deluxe/Military are all easily distinguished from each other visually.

Eamon
Eamon

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:22:25 pm
Yes, Eamon & thanks. I already said in one of the posts above that there are two pictures in the Member's Rides Section. I'm surprised noone went & looked already.

I'm thinking now that folks are correct that it's a Classic. The thing that threw me off was the Electra-X on the VIN plate & the Bullet-X factory sticker on the engine. Also the BS-29 carb & electronic ignition which the books say is on the Electra-X. Also no front fender plate. The bar code engine number sticker is still on it also along with all the other factory inspection stickers.

It still seems to me that the word Electra was on the original title giving the bike to CMW in March of 2008, but I could be wrong. I've done bikes all my life, but I'm not totally conversant in Royal Enfields. I only started obsessing over THEM in 2004 & this is my first one (found it in Dec. 2009). Love it BTW & it runs like a watch now after a lot of hair-pulling over the Winter & Spring of 2010.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 05:37:54 pm
Yes, Eamon & thanks. I already said in one of the posts above that there are two pictures in the Member's Rides Section. I'm surprised noone went & looked already.

I'm thinking now that folks are correct that it's a Classic. The thing that threw me off was the Electra-X on the VIN plate & the Bullet-X factory sticker on the engine. Also the BS-29 carb & electronic ignition which the books say is on the Electra-X. Also no front fender plate. The bar code engine number sticker is still on it also along with all the other factory inspection stickers.

It still seems to me that the word Electra was on the original title giving the bike to CMW in March of 2008, but I could be wrong. I've done bikes all my life, but I'm not totally conversant in Royal Enfields. I only started obsessing over THEM in 2004 & this is my first one (found it in Dec. 2009). Love it BTW & it runs like a watch now after a lot of hair-pulling over the Winter & Spring of 2010.

You're right. I found old dealer ads.  It's a Classic without the front fender plate holder. Electra-X would have front disc & gaiters. Now I've gotta change everything with Electra-X on it including my brain.